Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli dropping Rebels nickname

On 7/24/2020 at 5:12 PM, TheStatGuy said:

Fig newtons??

How about South Newton gippers? South Newton fighting Blaine Durhams? Haha jp. 

If they were to adopt the Fighting Gippers as a handle, they would have to pay me a licensing fee, royalties, and the name of the school would have to be changed to the Stan Gipkowski Academy.

This nickname change has been about two years in the making. I'm hearing that the Roncalli Rams is the #1 replacement for Rebels and there's already mock-ups of the new nickname.

And "Rebel03" is absolutely correct... Quite a bit of Confederate imagery was at Roncalli in the 80s and 90s, with a few images of Robbie "The Confederate General" still in classrooms throughout the school in 2020. Even though the Confederate imagery was outlawed in the 90s, some Roncalli students kept the association of being on the South of Indy and the Confederacy Rebels. 

If only Roncalli put their time and energy to more important issues that are plaguing the school, but apparently being PC is more important....

I do not like the name change.  The Rebel name was perfect since Pope John XXIII (Angelo Roncalli) was known as the Rebel Pope.  It was a perfect name voted on by the students and staff in 1969.  Frontrunners are Rams and Lions.  Lions because Roncalli was the Nuncio of Venice (symbolized by the Lion of St. Mark) before becoming Pope John XXIII.  His papal coat of arms includes the Lion of St. Mark. 

• Like 3