Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton @ Sullivan

17 hours ago, MinerPower said:

Put Goodman back at quarterback! Just because your dad is the offensive coordinator, your grandpa is defensive coordinator, and your uncle the head coach, doesn’t make you a great quarterback. Gennicks is to short to pass effectively.

The Miners had to work for it, but at least they won.  LOL @ too short to pass effectively.   

• Like 1

What the heck are you guys talking about?? Did Linton really make a QB switch this week?? I thought the QB they had the past 2 years threw a good ball...he was just under immense pressure last week for Southridge...to judge his performance based on that would be unfair IMO

• Like 1

In my honest opinion I think the option of Gennicks at QB was in consideration before the Sullivan game.  I saw a lot of repetitions in the Scrimmage with Goodman at wing and found myself thinking.. .hey.. he really looks good running the ball.  Course in the scrimmage his jersey was changed mid game because of a jersey issue... So I found myself wondering who is this #22...  turned out to be Trey.  I definitely consider Trey as asset at QB... he put some great numbers on the board in 2019...  From my viewpoint... we lost all our skill players... I mean.. all.  No question that Southridge totally dominated in shutting down the Miner O...  I don't think it would have made any difference who was at QB.  And I think Linton played much better up front against the Arrows.  There were many more positive plays up the middle, and with Goodman there were several nice outside runs we had none of the week before.  I think the thought process was....we have a couple power guys with Smith and Eslinger who can trudge with anyone in the trenches.  Several others were battling for that other Wing spot.  Losing Lance Dyer's speed doesn't help lol.   Kaulin Padget has the speed for sure, and I've been waiting for him to suit up... and I believe he is cleared to play in week 3.   Anyway.. back to it.  Goodman runs the ball hard.  I certainly think there isn't any doubt that Drew Smith is playing where he should be at 6'2 215.   I think Goodman  at 6;0 175  gives Linton a solid 3 options running the ball...  and... add Gennicks because as we saw Friday, he runs with abandon too.   I figured we might see him more involved offensively in some way Friday.  I think we have a solid basis of athletes who will improve with each week of varsity work against quality opponents.... as is it ...Goodman is the only Senior in this bunch.  I think it says a whole lot about Trey's character.. such as Chad Trent's character when he was moved from QB in 2015... in an effort to better the team.  Passing I honestly think benefits with Goodman as a receiver.  6'0, and a great athlete, being a basketball player as well.... he gives Gennicks another set of hands who can make a play.  Eli Poe has shown he's going to be a good player catching the ball... only will get better.  I hope we can get the TE in the passing game as we move forward.  We got three TEs playing... Lynn, Breneman, and now Grounds.  add to that both Smith and Eslinger catch the ball... and Johns... well he caught the ball twice on Friday on Defense!  No questions I think we have to have some passing to offset the running... just have to.  We might win games this year just blasting the ball on the ground all night... but we also know that isn't going to work down the road against very good teams....  especially if they know or think they know we can't air it out when necessary..  But honestly... very seldom has Linton been a passing team.  You gotta play to your strengths.. but willing to get better in all facets for the big push.  

Who knows what will transpire week to week.. or even if there will be another week after this or the one after. I am so thankful to have Miner Football on Friday. I am sure those players are so thankful to have it as well.  I suspect if Padgett is 100% or close, he will see alot of action.  I know he was in the mix started at CB and or WB....  THis will at minimum give Linton much needed depth at both spots.  Goodman and Poe are both playing both ways.  With Eslinger's injury prolly keeping him out of action for a bit.. this really makes the Goodman move to WB a good move.  I don't for one second think that Goodman won't get some snaps at QB the rest of year....  nobody can predict what happens...  

As far as people not coming out this year for this reason or that...  I think it's safe to say that some kids simply are not going to put in the effort to put themselves in positions to get playing time.  Over my years I've had plenty of discussions off the record with a variety of coaches and players and parents about this or that.  Common theme is "he doesn't put in the time"... "he doesn't put in the effort"...  I am a firm believer in that you prove yourself in the days between Friday Night.   Thats where you turn heads and get your name in the mix.  And you won't know it because that stuff comes up over discussion later.  "You know who looked good today"... or "I tell ya... Jimmy better watch himself of he will be backing up Tommy...."    You get chances on special teams... you go full tilt... you make hits... you get noticed.   Yeah sometimes it does suck that you get bunched into a talented group of LB's or WBs or DTs etc...  and that happens... but you see this alot in small rural schools...  you step up and ask what you can do...  think Ian Fonseca...and so many before and after him... who transformed themselves to play whatever it took to play.  I think Levi Grounds is a good example this year...he didn't play much if at all last year with a back injury. I didn't think he'd come back.. but he has... at a different position, and he's out there making plays.   DOes it always pan out... nope... sometimes not.  Sometimes the talent just isn't there... but you are still part of the team.. the experience.. .and that goes a long way in life to most anyone who has done it.   I don't know that I've met any former player... who decided not to play their senior year for whatever the reason... who didn't regret it almost immediately... and certainly did later in life. I've heard it with my own ears too many times.   And yeah we have a couple of those this year that didn't come out...and it is a real shame honestly... but there are kids that want to play... and it's next man up... their time to shine!   

Its always tough to talk about kids who are 15-18 years old.  These are just high school kids.  One thing I know about Linton kids.. and it's most likely true for kids from whatever school you vehemently defend and support to the end...  the kids want to win for their school, their family, and their community.  I've seen teams with players that don't have that attitude.. they may wanna win.. but for themselves not for the bigger cause.  I know they give 100% if not 110% to attain that W or go down fighting.  It's easy to see the individual players who hurt the most in any loss.. and I love those guys the most.   I know guys who didn't play but maybe 6 plays on the field under Friday Night Lights in there entire 4 year career... who went through the practices.. took the hits... put in the work... maybe swallowed their pride... but did it.. and were part of the team and loved it.. talk about it to this day.   

Maybe it's the cough medicine I'm dosing on heavily... 

• Like 1