Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Linton @ Sullivan

Here we are again:  Linton/Sullivan week.  This is the second oldest series in the entire state.  Opening week saw these teams going in opposite directions.  Sullivan with an easy win over North Knox and Linton who was beat up pretty bad in the second half by a good Southridge team.   Harrell's website is predicting the Miners  will win, 35 - 17 in spite of the fact the Golden Arrows are ranked several spots ahead of them in the Sagarin rankings.  The Miners looked rather bleak on offense last week.  3 picks and a turnover on downs gave the Pirates several short fields which they took advantage of and won easily 28 - 0.  If the Miners are to win at Sullivan, they MUST take care of the ball, otherwise it could be another long night.  Safe travels for everyone.

52 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Here we are again:  Linton/Sullivan week.  This is the second oldest series in the entire state.  Opening week saw these teams going in opposite directions.  Sullivan with an easy win over North Knox and Linton who was beat up pretty bad in the second half by a good Southridge team.   Harrell's website is predicting the Miners  will win, 35 - 17 in spite of the fact the Golden Arrows are ranked several spots ahead of them in the Sagarin rankings.  The Miners looked rather bleak on offense last week.  3 picks and a turnover on downs gave the Pirates several short fields which they took advantage of and won easily 28 - 0.  If the Miners are to win at Sullivan, they MUST take care of the ball, otherwise it could be another long night.  Safe travels for everyone.

I'm wondering if Harrell didn't get the score turned around on his prediction.  Sullivan is 15 points better on the Sagaran rankings and John has Linton winning by 18.  Something doesn't look right there but I would surely take that score.  

I think the Linton - Sullivan rivalry is the "oldest" rivalry in the the state but not as far as number of games played. The rivalry is second in that category. The first matchup between the two neighboring schools was in 1904. they missed nine years from 1911 to 1920, '21, and '23 to '25.  This year marks the 95th consecutive game beginning with 1926.  This year brings the total number of games between the rivals to 104 and, believe it or not, the series stands at Linton 51 - Sullivan 51 and two ties.  GO MINERS !!!

I've seen most all of the games in the last 80 years.  I'll be watching on the TV this time.  Biggest thrill.  22 -0 win at Sportland field at Sullivan in 1945 after a 13 game losing streak to the Arrows.  Oh, yes.  Until the playoff system started, the game was an annual Armistice day (now Veterans day) afternoon game on November 11 to close the season.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kingtut said:

I think the Linton - Sullivan rivalry is the "oldest" rivalry in the the state but not as far as number of games played. The rivalry is second in that category. The first matchup between the two neighboring schools was in 1904. they missed nine years from 1911 to 1920, '21, and '23 to '25.  This year marks the 95th consecutive game beginning with 1926.  This year brings the total number of games between the rivals to 105 and the series stands at Sullivan 52 - Linton 51 with two ties.  GO MINERS !!!

I've seen most all of the games in the last 80 years.  I'll be watching on the TV this time.  Biggest thrill.  22 -0 win at Sportland field at Sullivan in 1945 after a 13 game losing streak to the Arrows.  Oh, yes.  Until the playoff system started, the game was an annual Armistice day (now Veterans day) afternoon game on November 11 to close the season.

10 hours ago, Arrow95 said:

Who is Linton's QB? What position is Drew Smith playing? 

Sullivan is young and promising. 

Tut, will your Linton folks be broadcasting the game? If so, remind me of the link.

My prediction- Sullivan 34 Linton 22

You are being generous with the 22 points.  If the Miners don't stop turning the ball over and find some type of an offense, they'll probably get shut out again.  Don't see the Arrows putting up 34 on the Miner defense either.  Southridge put up 28 and none the the TD's were sustained drives.  Most all were on short fields due to turnovers.  Goodman is the QB and Smith played RB.  The game will be on the radio, 93.3 WQTY.  Miner Pride does a great job with the broadcast.   Not sure if it will be live streamed.

11 hours ago, Arrow95 said:

Tut, will your Linton folks be broadcasting the game? If so, remind me of the link.

Arrow95, from what we know currently the Greene County Sports Network isn't allowed at the game so they won't be streaming the game but they will be the great radio broadcast on 93.3.  Sullivan is offering some sort of streaming service for $9.95 if you want that option.  

15 hours ago, Arrow95 said:

Tre Goodman is the Linton QB, a senior 3 year starter.  We may see soph Hunter Gennicks taking some snaps also.  Drew Smith is a fullback and linebacker.  

Linton is also young...and we'll see.

the broadcast options are answered below.

I'll accept your score prediction because I don't have a clue.

Edited by kingtut

GUys.. i am ready for the game Friday.. Got all my info.. and started a pre game write up.. but I got sick with a mega cold..I  hope.. last night...and just have not been able to do much today... I sure hope I am better tomorrow... !  I will try to bare facts things here later to help everyone prepare~

as far as I know... we are doing radio both on the air 93.3 and online stream wqtyradio.net   no video.

QB 3 Hughes, Caleb 12 6'3" 175
RB 24 King, Jaeden 12 5'11" 165
H 12 Drake, Tristan 12 6'2" 185
Z 2 Queen, Karver 12 5'8" 135
X 1 Bell, Grant 12 5'11" 160
Y 19 Wright, Nathan 11 6'2" 170

LT 52 Hughes, Eli   12 6'3" 250
LG 50 Pirtle, Gabe   12 6'4" 210
C 57 Sluder, Lane   11 5'7" 180
RG 55 Hughes, Conner   10 6'2" 205
RT 58 Ridgway, Jack   11 6'5" 250

RB 18 Williams, Dylan 11 5'9" 155
QB 6 Adams, Rowdy 10 5'9"

Arrows show a lot of formations.  Use both Hughes (more run...8-40 1TD) and Adams (more pass...10-11 fo 186 yards 2 TD) at QB

BOth WIlliams and King are involved on Off.  King 13-80 2TD  WIlliams 11-76

5 returning starters-- -3 on line (Pritle, E.Hughes, Sluder).  Drake was starting QB vs. Linton last year...passed for 2 TDs 259 yards.

Arrows put up 500+ offense last week. 337 on ground, 203 in air.

MIKE 12 Drake, Tristan   12 6'2" 185
SAM 32 Newby, William   11 6'0" 170
ROV 2 Queen, Karver   12 5'8" 135
NICK 31 Dyar, Seth   12 6'0" 160
FS 1 Bell, Grant   12 5'11" 160
NT 50 Pirtle, Gabe   12 6'4" 210
DE 55 Hughes, Conner   10 6'2" 205
DE 52 Hughes, Eli   12 6'3" 250
WS 11 Kelley, Randy   11 5'11" 155
CB 3 Hughes, Caleb   12 6'3" 175
CB 5 Adams, Luke   10 5'9"

D returns 4 Starters...  gave up 92 on ground, 107 in air last week.    Bell and Newby were in top 5 tacklers last year.   Depth seems to be good for Sullivan.  I saw several different players making plays other than these starters listed.   Kicking seems good too with Leone hitting 4 of 5 PATs.

QB 15 Goodman, Trey 12 6'1 175
RB 13 Smith, Drew 11 6'2 215
RB 2 Eslinger, Gabe 11 6'0 195
WB 12 Johns, Hunter 10 5'8 170
TE 45 Lynn, Jackson 11 6'0 185
WR 24 Poe, Eli   11 6'1 160

LT 56 Giles, Aiden 10 6'2 230
LG 77 Carpenter, Dalton 11 5'10 215
C 69 Giles, Damien 12 6'2 220
RG 58 Debruhl, Donovan 11 6'0 275
RT 57 Giles, Landon 12 6'2 230

MIners didn't have much success in any offensive facet against 3A Southridge last week.  88 Total offense.  Not much to say.  Eslinger lined up at WB most of the night with JOhns.  Also saw BRacey Brenneman #44 11 5'11 185 at TE.  MIners return 4 starters on offense from 2019, 3 of those on the line and QB goodman.  MIners on completed 3 of 13 passes.. and had 3 picks, one for a TD.  

ILB 13 Smith, Drew 11 6'2 215
ILB 2 Eslinger, Gabe 11 6'0 195
OLB 14 Gennicks, Hunter 10 5'10 175
OLB 45 Lynn, Jackson 11 6'0 185
DE 69 Giles, Damien 12 6'2 220
DT 58 Debruhl, Donovan 11 6'0 275
DT 63 Fields, Jackson 11 6'0 205
DE 77 Carpenter, Dalton 11 5'10 215
CB 24 Poe, Eli   11 6'1 160
CB 15 Goodman, Trey 12 6'1 175
FS 32 Miller, Jaydan 11 5'8

used 5 man fronts against Southridge will Lynn among others at NT.  Smith was at MLB in those fronts with Eslinger outside.  Pass D will be obviously tested with Sullivan's wide open attack, but did well vs Raiders (3-13-35 yards) not giving up the big play.  All new Defensive Backfield.  28 points from Southridge were really not a reflection on the performance of Miner D...  1 TD was pick six, two others from drives started within the Miner Red Zone, the other after a pick retuArrowrned to the MIner 30.   Southridge ran 51 times for 249 yards and 284 total yards on the night.  Smith with 20 tackles, Eslinger and Gennicks each over 10. 

THis game is very important for Linton.  Arrows have numbers and depth..plus size.  Have several run options...yet several pass options as well.  Linton did not show much of either.. granted... Southridge is one of the better programs in the southern part of Indiana.  LInton will have to eliminate numerous false start penalties...and i did notice Sullivan had over 100 yards in penalties...   but the turnover were crucial to Linton' s demise. One that didn't show up on turnovers but was just a bad was the busted pitch out on 3rd down in the only appearance in Raider Territory on that first drive.  Also noticeable were a couple big glitches in the return game.  Twice, one on a punt, another on a kickoff...you could tell the youth and inexperience.. but both times Linton ended up with the ball.  

Linton is going to have to be able to run the ball....and to do that, the offensive line is going to have to win the trenches more often than not.  I fear depth issues will be in play for Linton... HAving both Smith and Eslinger..and Goodman... all key offensive players.. also on defense put a lot on these guys.  Granted 8 MIners play both ways this year. I am very very interested in how LInton comes out in this game..and how they handle adversity again...this time in a huge rival.  I am interested in senior leadership on a team with only 5 to start with...and 2 of them are injured and out.  

Go mIners

• Like 1

Linton seems to have the same problem they’ve had the last 3 years. No sort of honest passing game to keep teams out of the box and running the same handful of  plays they’ve ran every game for the last 6 years. It works against most teams but gets completely exposed against teams that are the same skill or better. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but I’m tired of people always sugar coating it myself included. If north Knox is down and comparable to a North Davies or Eastern Greene (most years) it could be close or Linton could win by a couple scores. If North Knox is decent like last year I’d say we’re gonna have some Trouble on offense like last week. The way the D played last week I’m  not worried about them either way. 

Just my opinion. 
Go miners and good luck to both teams.

14 hours ago, Footballfan said:

Linton seems to have the same problem they’ve had the last 3 years. No sort of honest passing game to keep teams out of the box and running the same handful of  plays they’ve ran every game for the last 6 years. It works against most teams but gets completely exposed against teams that are the same skill or better. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but I’m tired of people always sugar coating it myself included. If north Knox is down and comparable to a North Davies or Eastern Greene (most years) it could be close or Linton could win by a couple scores. If North Knox is decent like last year I’d say we’re gonna have some Trouble on offense like last week. The way the D played last week I’m  not worried about them either way. 

Just my opinion. 
Go miners and good luck to both teams.

In the past 25 years, I can only think of 3 QB's at Linton who gave the Miners a legitimate passing game.   (off the top of my head) They were:  Jake Gennicks, Austin K., and Tyler Muerer.    The Miners have usually been a run first type of offense.   The only exception was the Austin K. years and even then they still ran the ball quite a bit.   This year isn't much different than a lot of other years.   The passing game just isn't there.  But with only 88 yards of total offense last week, the running game wasn't there either.  You have to give credit to Southridge.  Other than the first drive of the game, their defense shut down what the Miners tried to do.  The Miner offensive line was returning the most starters from last year.  They were supposed to be decent.  It looked to me like Southridge pretty much dominated them.   That will have to improve this week and going forward.  I agree the defense played pretty well last week.  Yeah they gave up 28 points but mostly due to the offense turning the ball over and giving Southridge short fields.  Plus they had a pick 6.  I can't recall that Southridge had any long sustained drives.  So the defense showed up.

2 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

In the past 25 years, I can only think of 3 QB's at Linton who gave the Miners a legitimate passing game.   (off the top of my head) They were:  Jake Gennicks, Austin K., and Tyler Muerer.    The Miners have usually been a run first type of offense.   The only exception was the Austin K. years and even then they still ran the ball quite a bit.   This year isn't much different than a lot of other years.   The passing game just isn't there.  But with only 88 yards of total offense last week, the running game wasn't there either.  You have to give credit to Southridge.  Other than the first drive of the game, their defense shut down what the Miners tried to do.  The Miner offensive line was returning the most starters from last year.  They were supposed to be decent.  It looked to me like Southridge pretty much dominated them.   That will have to improve this week and going forward.  I agree the defense played pretty well last week.  Yeah they gave up 28 points but mostly due to the offense turning the ball over and giving Southridge short fields.  Plus they had a pick 6.  I can't recall that Southridge had any long sustained drives.  So the defense showed up.

Uh...you don't accumulate over 250+ yards of total offense by accident. Believe the first drive of the game started at our own 8 and stalled out at the Miner 15. Give the Miners prop's for holding the Raiders out of the end zone - but it wasn't like the Raiders didn't move the ball most of the night. Very few 3 and outs.

Add to the passing woes... everyone graduated in the skill department.  As has been said.. Linton has always been run first 90% of the time. Even in AK and Gennicks years of passing attack, we also had very good running games.  Last year with Robertson and Hauser at SE, Puckett at TE... as well as Lannan, Dyer and Howard in the backfield.. all multi year starters... there were any reps going to any underclassmen.  Everyone this year is truly in their first year of varsity level play.  No one on the roster had caught a varsity pass until Poe last week.  Looks like Poe has good hands tho.  In defense of Goodman, I will say that he was truly under pressure most every pass play.  Not all... but certainly didn't have time to set up and scan the field.  It's definitely an offense that the opponent knows what it coming. THat's how it's been a LInton... we do what we do... you have to stop it.  I agree we have to have some success in passing.. .be it short game... quick outs..  backs in flats.. anything.. to keep teams from loading  the box every time.  I lik the skill guys we got out there...they are just young.  I know we have some solid linemen out there too... they just gotta gel and learn in game situations.  I suspect a lot of work went into the offense this week... but the defense will be tested with what SUllivan always brings offensively.

27 minutes ago, jets said:

Uh...you don't accumulate over 250+ yards of total offense by accident. Believe the first drive of the game started at our own 8 and stalled out at the Miner 15. Give the Miners prop's for holding the Raiders out of the end zone - but it wasn't like the Raiders didn't move the ball most of the night. Very few 3 and outs.

Yep Southridge did have 2 sustained lengthy drives... 15 for 77 on the opening drive and then 14 for 60 on  the drive ending the 1st half.  I guess  the key point was 0 points given up.  They did end the game on an 8 play drive that certainly would have been a score had they not taken a knee.  The rest of the possessions were either short field scoring drives or short series with punts.  I think there was a failed 4th and short.    Course saying that.  Linton didn't cross midfield stripe after that first drive... and didn't gain another 1st down past GOodman's 33 yard scramble in the 1st.  Southridge controlled  the L.O.S.  all night.   Taylor missed on a couple pass plays that receivers were wide open...that would have been huge gains if not TDs.   Still.. the Miner Defense for the most part was game and put up a fight.

16 minutes ago, MinerPower said:

Put Goodman back at quarterback! Just because your dad is the offensive coordinator, your grandpa is defensive coordinator, and your uncle the head coach, doesn’t make you a great quarterback. Gennicks is to short to pass effectively.

I will say he hasn’t necessarily done a bad job although Sullivan is much worse than southridge. I was still trying to figure out where the Padgett kid is. I heard some good things about him leading into the season and he showed good speed on both sides of the ball in the scrimmage still haven’t heard his name the last 2 games. 

9 hours ago, MinerPower said:

Put Goodman back at quarterback! Just because your dad is the offensive coordinator, your grandpa is defensive coordinator, and your uncle the head coach, doesn’t make you a great quarterback. Gennicks is to short to pass effectively.

This didn't age well. At all. 

Stay Classy....

Last year they pushed Drew smith out of the JV quarterback position in favor of Genniicks, and this year they push Trey Goodman out as varsity quarterback. Look at last years roster compared to this years and start looking at how many kids didn’t return. There are reasons why, but I guess we are supposed to be sunshine and roses here when it comes to Linton.

I know from what i have heard from kids comming over my house, that are friends with my son say way back early summer thst kids wasnt playing csuse if this. I would just roll my eyes an lsugh an aay whatever. But i guess they knew what they was talking about.

Edited by Ugminer