Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

8-Man Football

Our fine leaders of the IHSAA:

A motion for approval was made by Tim Grove; seconded by Dave Worland; motion failed 0-19. Because this proposal would require a by-law change as it’s adding a new sport (8-man football), the Executive Committee requested the staff further study this proposal in conjunction with the Indiana Football Coaches Association for future consideration.    

21 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I certainly understand with a new commissioner, and everything going on right now, if the IHSAA wants to defer putting anything more on their plates at this particular time.

Oh sure, they're busy and I bet this has not helped any athletic department's finances. Just hope it eventually goes through.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Julio said:

Title IX, if they add a new boy’s sport then they need to add a girl’s sports. That is the change they have to make.

Could 8-man football be classified as a coed sport to get around that?

I notice in the Final Forms classification at the school where my son plays football, the football program is listed as Coed Football whereas soccer is listed as Boys Soccer.  Cheer is also listed as coed and wresting is also listed as coed.  Baseball is listed as Boys Baseball.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

Could 8-man football be classified as a coed sport to get around that?

I notice in the Final Forms classification at the school where my son plays football, the football program is listed as Coed Football whereas soccer is listed as Boys Soccer.  Cheer is also listed as coed and wresting is also listed as coed.  Baseball is listed as Boys Baseball.  

Sports listed as “co-Ed” do not have both boys and girls teams. Baseball has softball. Both play soccer. 

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

Sports listed as “co-Ed” do not have both boys and girls teams. Baseball has softball. Both play soccer. 

If the sport is listed as "Co-ed" I think that would mean one team, boys and girls can join. So does that allow school to navigate around the Title IX issue??

Face reality.  This is a complete and total rebuke of the 8 man football idea for Indiana.  Its a bad idea, pure and simple.  It was a bad idea pre Covid, and its a bad idea post Covid.  

Time to move on and focus on more worthwhile endeavors, including advancement of the Contaction initiative and the drive to 280.