Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Who will be the first HC at Hammond Central?

Guest DT

One of the more interesting openings in the state.

Based on opening enrollment, HC could be anywhere from 4A to 6A.  Heck, the current Harrell schedule lists them at 3A.

Their first scheduled game will be an interesting one, at home against Duneland top dog Valparaiso.  An interesting choice of opener for both schools frankly.

What are the expectations coming out of the gate for the Hammond Central program?  Will they follow the Elkhart model and shoot for the moon immediately, or will they go slow and steady and see what they have to work with?

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/football/logsHammondCentral.htm#loaded

8 hours ago, DT said:

One of the more interesting openings in the state.

Based on opening enrollment, HC could be anywhere from 4A to 6A.  Heck, the current Harrell schedule lists them at 3A.

Their first scheduled game will be an interesting one, at home against Duneland top dog Valparaiso.  An interesting choice of opener for both schools frankly.

What are the expectations coming out of the gate for the Hammond Central program?  Will they follow the Elkhart model and shoot for the moon immediately, or will they go slow and steady and see what they have to work with?

http://scoreboard.homestead.com/football/logsHammondCentral.htm#loaded

I think your questions start with Morton. IMO, there's no possible way for Central to become an "Elkhart" if too much of Hammond's talent is stil going to Morton. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RegionFBFan said:

Hammond Central will remain "the hoops school" and Morton "the football school" in Hammond.

Exactly. 

As I’ve said many times over the months, Hammond Central currently doesn’t even have a football facility - the new school sits on Bernie Krueger field - and I can’t imagine Hammond will straighten things out enough in the next 8 months to have one ready by August. They’ll be playing at Gavit or something next season or Morton’s turf when the Govs are away.

Edited by region

3 hours ago, region said:

Exactly. 

As I’ve said many times over the months, Hammond Central currently doesn’t even have a football facility - the new school sits on Bernie Krueger field - and I can’t imagine Hammond will straighten things out enough in the next 8 months to have one ready by August. They’ll be playing at Gavit or something next season or Morton’s turf when the Govs are away.

Morton is an old decaying structure badly in need of updating and general repair.  HC is a sparkling new state of the art educational facility.  Will that possibly keep some of the west side football players from travelling across town to play at "football school" Morton?

50 minutes ago, DT said:

Morton is an old decaying structure badly in need of updating and general repair.  HC is a sparkling new state of the art educational facility.  Will that possibly keep some of the west side football players from travelling across town to play at "football school" Morton?

Doubtful. If you live and Hammond and want to win, you’ll follow the winning, facility be damned

17 minutes ago, region said:

Doubtful. If you live and Hammond and want to win, you’ll follow the winning, facility be damned

This is the big downside to open enrollment

9 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I think your questions start with Morton. IMO, there's no possible way for Central to become an "Elkhart" if too much of Hammond's talent is stil going to Morton. 

I agree.  A bunch of mediocre players put together don’t make a world beater overnight.  This will take some time.