Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

MIC Week #5


Recommended Posts

9-0 thus far in MIC vs MIC contests but things get a bit more dicey this week with some unpredictable games on the slate.

Center Grove @ North Central:  Hard to believe that the meat of CG's schedule is in the rear view mirror as they are now in firm control of the conference race and should be able to coast into their October match up with Cathedral.  BD kept it close for a half last week but NC does not have the horses to do the same.  CG will have subs in early in this one.  Trojans win 49-0.

Lawrence Central @ Pike:  Both teams should have this game circled on the calendar is it might be their only shot at a conference win.  LC has a non-conference win on their resume, whereas Pike is still searching for its first win.  Pike showed improvement last season but is now riding a 9 game losing streak.  They were able to make Carmel sweat for a while last week but the 'Hounds cruised in the 2nd half.  LC kept it close with Warren early before getting its doors blown off.  I'll give the home team an edge here.  20-17 Pike.

Lawrence North @ Carmel:  This contest meets the definition of a measuring stick for Lawrence North.  They are in the middle of the conference pecking order and I don't think they are up to par with the Warrens, BDs or Carmel's of the world.  All three are still on the schedule and they get the 'Hounds first.  The unknown of the Carmel quarterback situation still gives me pause, but they should still have enough to hold off the Wildcats.  Carmel wins 30-17.

Warren Central @ Ben Davis:  A true battle for bragging rights each and every year and while it may not be what it used to be (mainly for the conference title), it is still as fierce as ever.  Both teams have come a LONG way since opening week losses as Kirschner returns to the west side sporting his alma mater's colors for a change.  I was not impressed with either team in week 1 but both have proven to be "quality losses."  I expect A LOT of points in this one and whomever has the ball last wins in what turns out to be another classic chapter in this rivalry.  Gimme the Giants 37-34.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, temptation said:

9-0 thus far in MIC vs MIC contests but things get a bit more dicey this week with some unpredictable games on the slate.

Center Grove @ North Central:  Hard to believe that the meat of CG's schedule is in the rear view mirror as they are now in firm control of the conference race and should be able to coast into their October match up with Cathedral.  BD kept it close for a half last week but NC does not have the horses to do the same.  CG will have subs in early in this one.  Trojans win 49-0.

Lawrence Central @ Pike:  Both teams should have this game circled on the calendar is it might be their only shot at a conference win.  LC has a non-conference win on their resume, whereas Pike is still searching for its first win.  Pike showed improvement last season but is now riding a 9 game losing streak.  They were able to make Carmel sweat for a while last week but the 'Hounds cruised in the 2nd half.  LC kept it close with Warren early before getting its doors blown off.  I'll give the home team an edge here.  20-17 Pike.

Lawrence North @ Carmel:  This contest meets the definition of a measuring stick for Lawrence North.  They are in the middle of the conference pecking order and I don't think they are up to par with the Warrens, BDs or Carmel's of the world.  All three are still on the schedule and they get the 'Hounds first.  The unknown of the Carmel quarterback situation still gives me pause, but they should still have enough to hold off the Wildcats.  Carmel wins 30-17.

Warren Central @ Ben Davis:  A true battle for bragging rights each and every year and while it may not be what it used to be (mainly for the conference title), it is still as fierce as ever.  Both teams have come a LONG way since opening week losses as Kirschner returns to the west side sporting his alma mater's colors for a change.  I was not impressed with either team in week 1 but both have proven to be "quality losses."  I expect A LOT of points in this one and whomever has the ball last wins in what turns out to be another classic chapter in this rivalry.  Gimme the Giants 37-34.

Great logic....

I am a little torn on LC @ Pike, but like you I am leaning with Pike.

I was impressed with BD last week, but realize in this storied rivalry, this game could go either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

The MIC has progressively gotten less and less exciting over the years. It for sure has hurt the programs of LC and Pike.

The top of the conference may be as good as it’s ever been but I’ve never seen the bottom half (specifically teams 6-8) be this bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, temptation said:

The top of the conference may be as good as it’s ever been but I’ve never seen the bottom half (specifically teams 6-8) be this bad.

LN a few years back during the waning years of the previous coach was the worst I've ever seen. Even the Hautes would sneak up every once in a while and bite somebody. There were some very lean years for South. It was usually one team that was significantly worse than everyone. 4-5 mediocre teams and a strong top 3-4. This year you have..

Center Grove

(BIG GULF)

BD, Carmel, LN, Warren

(BIG GULF)

LC, Pike, NC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

LN a few years back during the waning years of the previous coach was the worst I've ever seen. Even the Hautes would sneak up every once in a while and bite somebody. There were some very lean years for South. It was usually one team that was significantly worse than everyone. 4-5 mediocre teams and a strong top 3-4. This year you have..

Center Grove

(BIG GULF)

BD, Carmel, LN, Warren

(BIG GULF)

LC, Pike, NC

LN gets a chance to prove you right tonight.  A win (or even a single digit loss) and I’m in agreement.

I’m thinking there are two decent sized lakes between LN and both the top and bottom of the conference.

They are not good enough to keep it within single digits of Warren, BD and Carmel but are good enough to beat LC, Pike and NC by double figures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

LN a few years back during the waning years of the previous coach was the worst I've ever seen. Even the Hautes would sneak up every once in a while and bite somebody. There were some very lean years for South. It was usually one team that was significantly worse than everyone. 4-5 mediocre teams and a strong top 3-4. This year you have..

Center Grove

(BIG GULF)

BD, Carmel, LN, Warren

(BIG GULF)

LC, Pike, NC

I can’t put LN is the same category as Carmel, BD, and Warren. They haven’t proved that to anyone yet. Last year was supposedly their best squad in history and they didn’t win the sectional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I can’t put LN is the same category as Carmel, BD, and Warren. They haven’t proved that to anyone yet. Last year was supposedly their best squad in history and they didn’t win the sectional.

UNLESS, they win tonight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Takeaways:

1.  As expected, Center Grove was on cruise control from the beginning and will be in the same predicament for the next three weeks.  The only worry they need to have down the stretch is remaining healthy.

2.  It was obvious North Central was in for a long night from the opening whistle last night.  An unfair fight.  They still have a couple of opportunities on the schedule to gain momentum heading into 2022.

3.  A second win for LC is nothing to ignore.  They lost these types of games last year and while a 2-3 win season is not usually applauded, it is clear progress coming off of a winless season.

4.  Pike is just over a decade removed from competing for a 5A (pre 6A) state title and looks like a shell of its former self.  I am not sure what it will take to get them back on track.

5.  Lawrence North falls into the pretender category after keeping it competitive with Carmel early before getting its doors blown off.  They are not good enough to compete with the top half of the conference this season unless one of the big four is having an off night.  They still are the "best of the rest" if you give trophies for that sort of thing.

6.  Carmel appeared to get back on track last night and seems to be getting healthier.  Looking like the most intrigue left in this conference is who claims the #2 spot as Warren. Carmel and BD have all stepped up to CG only to be throttled.  

7.  Ben Davis.  Where do I even begin?  I could write a book about last night's game but I just don't see how you recover from that.  You go from thinking about getting young guys playing time down the stretch to fighting for your lives.  I know it sounded in the other thread like I was taking away from Warren, but I truly wasn't.  BD handed them this game behind some questionable decisions, lack of execution.  The key now becomes not letting one loss turn into two.

8.  Warren may have saved its season last night.  They were all but dead with 3 minutes to go in the third quarter as their fan base began filing out of the building (a separate thread for the other forum; one of my pet peeves).  Contrary to BD, this type of win can really energize a team and change its fortunes.  I still don't give them much of a chance against CG, but they've got a shot a Carmel in a few weeks.  Do we have a QB controversy here?  Their starter felt ill and left the game just before halftime...and the rest is history.

Tier 1:  Center Grove

Tier 2:  Ben Davis, Carmel, Warren Central

Tier 3:  Lawrence North

Tier 4:  Lawrence Central, North Central, Pike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...