Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Officials

Dirty D

Question

7 answers to this question

Most crews get a first round game. These are usually announced the Friday of week 9. For following rounds they are usually related on the Monday or Tuesday before the game.

No system is perfect and the Indiana system is far from perfect. There has been a change this year on the coach vote portion that could have an impact on many crews, but that will remain to be seen. Gone are the situations where some crews get 100+ votes and others get 20-30. As for the system being the reason officials are leaving, you realize there are only so many spots each week. No matter what system is used the same number of crews advance each week. Those who don't advance will be angry because they feel slighted. There is no system that would make everyone happy. That doesn't mean we shouldn't work through ISHOLA to get improvements to the system. But using the system as a reason for the change is not where we should focus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

Most crews get a first round game. These are usually announced the Friday of week 9. For following rounds they are usually related on the Monday or Tuesday before the game.

No system is perfect and the Indiana system is far from perfect. There has been a change this year on the coach vote portion that could have an impact on many crews, but that will remain to be seen. Gone are the situations where some crews get 100+ votes and others get 20-30. As for the system being the reason officials are leaving, you realize there are only so many spots each week. No matter what system is used the same number of crews advance each week. Those who don't advance will be angry because they feel slighted. There is no system that would make everyone happy. That doesn't mean we shouldn't work through ISHOLA to get improvements to the system. But using the system as a reason for the change is not where we should focus.

I am in the process of preparing an initial post for a thread that explores this subject in great detail. Let me just preview that here by saying that it is impossible to design a system that works well, if at all, unless you can clearly articulate the goals you want the system to achieve. So, when assessing the present system, you first have to ask “what are we trying to accomplish here?” The answers may not be as obvious as you might think.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JustRules said:

I too think this will be interesting in terms of "legacy" votes and how the removal of those will effect the "same guys anyway" that @Dirty D may be referring to. I also recall reading something to the fact that crews on the "old" side don't necessarily have to work a semi-state the year prior to being eligible for state. This will make each year much more competitive on the "old" side. 

2 hours ago, Moshiner1345 said:

I too think this will be interesting in terms of "legacy" votes and how the removal of those will effect the "same guys anyway" that @Dirty D may be referring to. I also recall reading something to the fact that crews on the "old" side don't necessarily have to work a semi-state the year prior to being eligible for state. This will make each year much more competitive on the "old" side. 

The last part has been true as long as I've been doing this. They are eligible every 4 years for state and can advance up to one level each year. It's possible a crew could go state - sectional final - sectional final - 2nd round - state if the votes fall their way. But they couldn't go State - Sectional Final - Semi-State - Regional - State.

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

The last part has been true as long as I've been doing this. They are eligible every 4 years for state and can advance up to one level each year. It's possible a crew could go state - sectional final - sectional final - 2nd round - state if the votes fall their way. But they couldn't go State - Sectional Final - Semi-State - Regional - State.

I did not realize that, it has never pertained to me or the crew I'm on, so I hadn't paid much attention honestly. But I thought you must work a semi-state the year prior to working state. I guess it's a moot point either way from this year forward. 

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

I am in the process of preparing an initial post for a thread that explores this subject in great detail. Let me just preview that here by saying that it is impossible to design a system that works well, if at all, unless you can clearly articulate the goals you want the system to achieve. So, when assessing the present system, you first have to ask “what are we trying to accomplish here?” The answers may not be as obvious as you might think.

The process is better than it was.  The coaches vote used to be 100%.  So I like this process better than others.  Is it so hard to believe that officials that consistently work their way through to the state are just the best crews?  Some people just get butt hurt.

11 hours ago, Moshiner1345 said:

I did not realize that, it has never pertained to me or the crew I'm on, so I hadn't paid much attention honestly. But I thought you must work a semi-state the year prior to working state. I guess it's a moot point either way from this year forward. 

Even for "new" crews there isn't a requirement to work semi-state the previous year. They just need to have worked a semi-state in a prior year with that referee. You could have worked a semi-state in 2018 and still be eligible to work state this year. The way it's worked out though there are only 3 or 4 "new" crews eligible each year so they are almost guaranteed to work state unless their vote turns out really bad. I think it would be wise for the IHSAA to have a more unbalanced split between new and returning crews in regional and semi-state if only to create more eligible crews.

The only thing that changed this year is the number of schools who can vote for each crew. I believe all the other requirements and guidelines remain unchanged.