Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Huntington North's new coach

16 hours ago, gbjemler said:

Rumors:  "complains about playing larger schools"        Peru had the same type of numbers as each of the other schools except maybe Western which at the time had been growing like crazy.  Not about numbers.  More to do with the fact that Taylor and Eastern were leaving the MIC. Which means adding Tipton and/or a Twin Lakes or the greater fear of Peru and Mac having to join the Hoosier conference where travel would have been horrendous as well as a football talent level through the roof  ie  Heights, Western, Tipton, Cass, WL, Renselear...   BOTH Peru and Mac saw the handwriting.  Huge football conference (not numbers of students....number of talented football players) Nobody complained....But a glimmer of sunshine called the TRC came calling. What fun it has been to be in the TRC, and I am serious about that statement. The rivalries are intense.  The travel is sane.   Talk to Tipton people about having to board a jet to get to Renselear Central  for a week night game. Nobody from Peru and Mac expected to waltz into the TRC and dominate in all Sports.  Granted...Peru has been the wrestling school (this year not so much, but they are as young as I have ever seen them)  Mac swims and runs very well.  Perspective:  Basketball   the year before Peru joins TRC they are 5-1 going into the Northwestern game in first place of the MIC.  Their record up to that point against the TRC?  1-4.  From first to last. You make it sound like the TRC is a bunch of shleps and that Peru should own the conference based on only class sizes.  

Nobody complained about larger schools, as Peru was middle of the road numbers wise.  Mac was middle of the road.  The logistics for BOTH Peru and  Mac made total sense.  TRC was not going to take Peru unless they had Mac and vice versa.  Talking about beating up on North Miami, Southwood, and Northfield belittles the coaches and kids at those schools.  Northfield, Southwood, and North Miami have had some great kids in the Peru TRC career.  Southwood just graduated a class of talent unlike many have seen at larger schools. Don't belittle other programs to benefit your argument.  Should Peru "beat up" on the TRC based on numbers alone?? Well Mac and Tippy Valley should too then.  The TRC is a quality athletic conference in many sports. weak in others....just like every other conference in the state.  

Coach Prescott will have his kids competing in that conference.  It may take a little time to adjust the culture, but it will happen.  Number of students and largest school mean nothing to a program that has not had any success.  There is a reason why HN has not had success as the largest school in the conference. What is the reason??? Its up to Coach Prescott to find it and at least compete.  Right now, I am not sure if HN is even competing.  

Done with rant I hope. The TRC is an outstanding conference choice for Peru.  It meets all of our needs in competition, travel , rivalry and fan base.  Our kids love playing TRC kids.  This was a perfect coaching choice for HN.

In reference to NM, Southwood, and Northfield, my point was Peru did anything BUT beat up on them.  I believe 1 game over .500 in their games together. 

• 1 month later...

Bob Prescott is more than qualified for this job, he is indeed one of the good guys in the business. He gave me a volunteer assistant job at Kankakee Valley when I was a 19 year old college student in need of a community service project. I always appreciated his refreshing honesty and realist views on things. I know at least part of the deal at Peru was that he also got a chance to coach his son Kordell, who was just another rugrat with ice cream on his face when i saw him last at KV back in the mid 2000s. 

I mean honestly who really gives a damn if he has a middling W-L record, because we know a multitude of factors play into the success of a football team. You can't control the talent in the pipeline, only how you develop it. Prescott is skilled in the art of molding football players into not only good athletes but also respectable young men. If we measure success in that regard, Prescott is an elite coach no matter his average W-L record, and given the right circumstances I'm convinced he can turn HN into a contender.

Edited by silvertone1696
  • Like 1

No excuses, the program that works the hardest wins the game (of course I'm talking about similar sized schools). I thought I'd disclose that before someone from a "certain school" decides to blast me about it. There is a coach out there who can turn Huntington North into a power. Hopefully it's Prescott, good luck to him.