Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GoodKn19ht

Huntington North's new coach

Recommended Posts

What are the primary responsibilities of "Dean of Students?"

Is he allowed to recruit the hallways while not performing "DOS" responsibilities?

Is this just an elevated title for a gym teacher who wears a suit during the school day?

Are there any special qualifications for this position?

Is the perception that this position is reserved for academic underachievers actually the reality?

Is this position sometimes "created" to provide a slot for an incoming ball coach?

Is double secret probation a tool in the Deans toolbox that might be wielded against unruly students?

Inquiring minds want to know.

 

le secret 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This means Bob will handle discipline within the building of a particular grade level or alphabetical level (A to E) of the student body.  Will probably also handle attendance, supervision of lunch and or after school or even conferences such as special ed, etc.  It is not an easy position.  With Bob's background as an assistant principal, with an administrative license, he could handle teacher evaluations if called upon.  This is not a created position but a position in addition to the principal and asst. principal.  Many schools are adding this position due to the amount of extra work placed on the principal and asst. principal of the building.  From what I understand Peru would not allow Bob to be head football coach and asst. principal.  Their choice.  Some schools will allow this.  Knowing Bob this is a great move for Huntington as Bob is great with kids and discipline.  Plus, he will good for the football program.  Be careful how you phrase comments thinking it's just a way to hire another coach without knowing the facts.  Your questions are good but your suggestions are ???????

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think its far fetching to surmise that Huntington North might be one of the top under achieving football schools in the state.  

It's a beautiful school with great facilities in a wealthy community.  Generally a good combination for football success.

Why have they failed so catastrophically?  Can the program be turned?  Does Prescott have any history of turnarounds?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the Huntington School Board and Administration this is the hire they need at this point for their reasons.  Not ours.  Bob's teams have always been competitive: first time at Peru, then KV, Knightstown, then Peru again.  You were always in a battle with a very fundamentally sound, physical, and competitive team.  Bob has always related to kids and got them out for football. The winning is important yes. BUT is more important the character we are building in our athletes in this day.  I like this thought from Dabo.  Again, Bob's hire fits what the Huntington School Board felt they needed at this time.  

image.thumb.png.f32c2022489930e839c641a343b187ce.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NORTHEAST 8
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Bellmont 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Columbia City 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
DeKalb 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
East Noble 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Huntington North 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Leo 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
New Haven 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Norwell 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
©conference game

When I look at HN's position in this conference, I can't help but think of Warsaw.  HN and Warsaw are the biggest schools in their respective conferences but under achieved relative to smaller competitors for decades.  Warsaw is now playing like a bully under Bart Curtis.  That was a BIG TIME hire, the type of hire an AD makes when he means to elevate his program to a position of prominence at the state wide level.

HN has a long way to go.  Lets hope Coach Prescott is given the tools and support he needs to be successful.  A solid and competitive HN football program is good for Indiana high school football in general.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CoachSnyder said:

To the Huntington School Board and Administration this is the hire they need at this point for their reasons.  Not ours.  Bob's teams have always been competitive: first time at Peru, then KV, Knightstown, then Peru again.  You were always in a battle with a very fundamentally sound, physical, and competitive team.  Bob has always related to kids and got them out for football. The winning is important yes. BUT is more important the character we are building in our athletes in this day.  I like this thought from Dabo.  Again, Bob's hire fits what the Huntington School Board felt they needed at this time.  

image.thumb.png.f32c2022489930e839c641a343b187ce.png

Congrats Bob. 

When Bob was HC at KV, I was an assistant at Wheeler HS. Our conference at that time was large (16 teams imsc.  2 divisions. “Small” schools and “big” schools.  LAC  BLACK-“big” schools, BLUE-“small” schools).  KV was in the “small” school side of the conference with, wheeler, whiting, gavit, clark, bishop noll, calumet, and lake station, again, imsc. 

Could this be something “similar” to what you are eluding to, DT?  Big school in small school conference?

Black was Andrean, Highland, Munster, Lowell, Hobart, Morton, Hammond High, and Griffith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of offense/defense can the NE8 expect from Huntington North under Coach Prescsott?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus Nick's Kitchen has one of the best tenderloins in the state!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NE8_Fan said:

What kind of offense/defense can the NE8 expect from Huntington North under Coach Prescsott?

Coach Prescott has utilized option scheme in years past and most recently some concepts in the Shotgun, Single Wing.   

Wishing the best to Coach Prescott, one of the good guys in the business.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, DT said:
NORTHEAST 8
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Bellmont 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Columbia City 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
DeKalb 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
East Noble 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Huntington North 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Leo 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
New Haven 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
Norwell 0-0 0 0 0-  0 0 0  
©conference game

When I look at HN's position in this conference, I can't help but think of Warsaw.  HN and Warsaw are the biggest schools in their respective conferences but under achieved relative to smaller competitors for decades.  Warsaw is now playing like a bully under Bart Curtis.  That was a BIG TIME hire, the type of hire an AD makes when he means to elevate his program to a position of prominence at the state wide level.

HN has a long way to go.  Lets hope Coach Prescott is given the tools and support he needs to be successful.  A solid and competitive HN football program is good for Indiana high school football in general.

 

 

 

Coach Prescott had well below average success at Peru, especially considering their enrollment in comparison to everyone else's. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations Coach Prescott.  He will work hard to get the program in the right direction.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CoachSnyder said:

  Be careful how you phrase comments thinking it's just a way to hire another coach without knowing the facts.  Your questions are good but your suggestions are ???????

Asking DT to gather facts and knowledge before lobbing incendiary comments is like asking Earth to orbit the moon. 

  • Disdain 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TRCJunkie said:

Coach Prescott had well below average success at Peru, especially considering their enrollment in comparison to everyone else's. 

 

He was 3-5 against in county rival Maconaquah, which is a good thing.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

He was 3-5 against in county rival Maconaquah, which is a good thing.  🙂

 

How do Peru and Mac's enrollment numbers line up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TRCJunkie said:

How do Peru and Mac's enrollment numbers line up?

Just saw the enrollment post. Ironic they're one student apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TRCJunkie said:

Just saw the enrollment post. Ironic they're one student apart. 

Yeah, they have been pretty close for decades.  Even when Maconaquah's overall enrollment plunged due to the closing of Grissom AFB,  Peru seemed to slowly bleed students as well.

Of course what matters is the the Braves have all the quality students.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DT said:

I dont think its far fetching to surmise that Huntington North might be one of the top under achieving football schools in the state.  

It's a beautiful school with great facilities in a wealthy community.  Generally a good combination for football success.

Why have they failed so catastrophically?  Can the program be turned?  Does Prescott have any history of turnarounds?  

 

I lived in Huntington County for 15 years and in the City of Huntington for 5, just down the road from the stadium.  You are correct in that it is most def a nice school, good athletic facilities and no shortage of money in that city/county.  Should be plenty of athletic talent to utilize.

Perhaps they're not a (dare I use this term) "football school"?  They have had success in other sports over the years.  Kreigbaum used to be one of those facilities where home & away crowds sat on the same side of the field but then at some point they added small bleachers on the visitors side.  For the size of schools they play against seemed like they wouldn't provide enough seating for visitors on side opposite press box, but the seating arrangement doesn't affect how the teams play. Just an observation.

Edited by Bonecrusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Plus Nick's Kitchen has one of the best tenderloins in the state!

 

You know it!  I'd say one of the best I've eaten anywhere.  Used to have two locations: downtown Huntington and Roanoke.  Don't know if the Roanoke one is still there - lived across Hwy 24 from it before moving into the city.  So tempting to call an order in, then walk across the road to get it & bring back home.  Very good eats and nice, cozy, small-town environment in the downtown location.

Edited by Bonecrusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really sure of DT and/or TRC Junkie's agenda here.  BUT,  here are some facts.  Coach Prescott's first 4 years back at Peru, the MIC was the conference.  going into those seasons, Peru had a chance to be maybe win 4 games max.  Figure a loss to  Heights, Western, Cass, Northwestern (when John Hendryx was there). The talent level of those programs during that time was just so much better than Peru.   Logan , historically over the last 30 years has been a loss.  Get Taylor and Eastern on down years...wins.  Mac?  toss up although Mac had a few years of better athletes than Peru (Hicks).  

Moves to TRC in 2015.  Much better football equivalent for Peru.  finishes the next three years with a record of 20-12 with tournament and 18-9 without it.  1 championship, and a third place finish.  (***Northfield having to forfeit helped the championship year to be fair***)  The 3 year win total was the highest 3 year total for Peru in over 30 years.  9 games  over 500 in TRC.  So the statement that "well below average" is taken with a grain of salt.  Peru has not had predominately strong football year in and year out since the the early 1980's. Why????  the question of the century.  For whatever reason, Peru has a numbers issue. (generally less than 50 somewhere)  This has been ongoing since the late 1980's WHOMEVER is the coach. Again...the question of the century.  Might be a mute point as numbers are down across the USA in most programs.  A discussion for another thread. 

However, what HN gets is a Head Coach that develops young men to be responsible citizens, to take responsibility for their actions, and develops life long, meaningful relationships with his players. On the football side...he creates a mentally tough football player,  a player who learns to at least compete his butt off,  a player that will also learn to hit the living snot out of you as all Bob Prescott teams do, and the overall concept of Brotherhood within the team.     Good Luck Coach Prescott.

 

 

 

Edited by gbjemler
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gbjemler said:

Not really sure of DT and/or TRC Junkie's agenda here.  BUT,  here are some facts.  Coach Prescott's first 4 years back at Peru, the MIC was the conference.  going into those seasons, Peru had a chance to be maybe win 4 games max.  Figure a loss to  Heights, Western, Cass, Northwestern (when John Hendryx was there). The talent level of those programs during that time was just so much better than Peru.   Logan , historically over the last 30 years has been a loss.  Get Taylor and Eastern on down years...wins.  Mac?  toss up although Mac had a few years of better athletes than Peru (Hicks).  

Moves to TRC in 2015.  Much better football equivalent for Peru.  finishes the next three years with a record of 20-12 with tournament and 18-9 without it.  1 championship, and a third place finish.  (***Northfield having to forfeit helped the championship year to be fair***)  The 3 year win total was the highest 3 year total for Peru in over 30 years.  9 games  over 500 in TRC.  So the statement that "well below average" is taken with a grain of salt.  Peru has not had predominately strong football year in and year out since the the early 1980's. Why????  the question of the century.  For whatever reason, Peru has a numbers issue. (generally less than 50 somewhere)  This has been ongoing since the late 1980's WHOMEVER is the coach. Again...the question of the century.  Might be a mute point as numbers are down across the USA in most programs.  A discussion for another thread. 

However, what HN gets is a Head Coach that develops young men to be responsible citizens, to take responsibility for their actions, and develops life long, meaningful relationships with his players. On the football side...he creates a mentally tough football player,  a player who learns to at least compete his butt off,  a player that will also learn to hit the living snot out of you as all Bob Prescott teams do, and the overall concept of Brotherhood within the team.     Good Luck Coach Prescott.

 

 

 

I can only speak in reference to the 2nd paragraph.....

1. It was rumored Peru wanted out of the MIC because of their lack of enrollment relative to the conference. Certainly not the largest, but also certainly not the smallest. 

2. *Complains about playing larger schools *Goes to conference where you're the largest enrollment. When you have 2x the student population of North Miami, Southwood, and Northfield, I certainly hope you beat up on them.....which was not the case. 

3. Great guy, but his track record is spotty on if he can produce a dominate winner when you're the largest school in the conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumors:  "complains about playing larger schools"        Peru had the same type of numbers as each of the other schools except maybe Western which at the time had been growing like crazy.  Not about numbers.  More to do with the fact that Taylor and Eastern were leaving the MIC. Which means adding Tipton and/or a Twin Lakes or the greater fear of Peru and Mac having to join the Hoosier conference where travel would have been horrendous as well as a football talent level through the roof  ie  Heights, Western, Tipton, Cass, WL, Renselear...   BOTH Peru and Mac saw the handwriting.  Huge football conference (not numbers of students....number of talented football players) Nobody complained....But a glimmer of sunshine called the TRC came calling. What fun it has been to be in the TRC, and I am serious about that statement. The rivalries are intense.  The travel is sane.   Talk to Tipton people about having to board a jet to get to Renselear Central  for a week night game. Nobody from Peru and Mac expected to waltz into the TRC and dominate in all Sports.  Granted...Peru has been the wrestling school (this year not so much, but they are as young as I have ever seen them)  Mac swims and runs very well.  Perspective:  Basketball   the year before Peru joins TRC they are 5-1 going into the Northwestern game in first place of the MIC.  Their record up to that point against the TRC?  1-4.  From first to last. You make it sound like the TRC is a bunch of shleps and that Peru should own the conference based on only class sizes.  

Nobody complained about larger schools, as Peru was middle of the road numbers wise.  Mac was middle of the road.  The logistics for BOTH Peru and  Mac made total sense.  TRC was not going to take Peru unless they had Mac and vice versa.  Talking about beating up on North Miami, Southwood, and Northfield belittles the coaches and kids at those schools.  Northfield, Southwood, and North Miami have had some great kids in the Peru TRC career.  Southwood just graduated a class of talent unlike many have seen at larger schools. Don't belittle other programs to benefit your argument.  Should Peru "beat up" on the TRC based on numbers alone?? Well Mac and Tippy Valley should too then.  The TRC is a quality athletic conference in many sports. weak in others....just like every other conference in the state.  

Coach Prescott will have his kids competing in that conference.  It may take a little time to adjust the culture, but it will happen.  Number of students and largest school mean nothing to a program that has not had any success.  There is a reason why HN has not had success as the largest school in the conference. What is the reason??? Its up to Coach Prescott to find it and at least compete.  Right now, I am not sure if HN is even competing.  

Done with rant I hope. The TRC is an outstanding conference choice for Peru.  It meets all of our needs in competition, travel , rivalry and fan base.  Our kids love playing TRC kids.  This was a perfect coaching choice for HN.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...