Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

On 9/16/2022 at 2:13 PM, Justafootballmark said:

It’s exciting to see how the Rochester vs Valley matchup will go, that Rochester O-line seems to be a well oiled machine, can’t wait to see them work against the best competition in the TRC!! 

Valley controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Hats off to them. Rochester fought hard but needed to limit the amount of mistakes they made on both sides of the ball. Rochester doesn't fumble the ball on the 20 with 7 min left in the game could be a different game. Can't make those mistakes against a team bigger, faster, and stronger than you are. This was a good wake up call for the Zebras. This Rochester team has a chance to make a deep playoff run but its gonna take constant improvement the next four weeks to do so. There are teams in 2A that will be just as big and physical. Can the Zebras learn from this game and reach the potential they have? I think its obvious these two teams are on a different level this year compared to the other teams in the conference. Valley has a very good team. Rumors that the Chatard team isn't what people thought they were going to be this year. Could Valley stun them and the rest of their sectional and these two teams represent the TRC deep into the month of November? Only time will tell

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, First_Backer_Inside said:

Valley controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Hats off to them. Rochester fought hard but needed to limit the amount of mistakes they made on both sides of the ball. Rochester doesn't fumble the ball on the 20 with 7 min left in the game could be a different game. Can't make those mistakes against a team bigger, faster, and stronger than you are. This was a good wake up call for the Zebras. This Rochester team has a chance to make a deep playoff run but its gonna take constant improvement the next four weeks to do so. There are teams in 2A that will be just as big and physical. Can the Zebras learn from this game and reach the potential they have? I think its obvious these two teams are on a different level this year compared to the other teams in the conference. Valley has a very good team. Rumors that the Chatard team isn't what people thought they were going to be this year. Could Valley stun them and the rest of their sectional and these two teams represent the TRC deep into the month of November? Only time will tell

Just speaking for TV, highly doubt it. How many times do they turn 8/9 win regular seasons into early sectional outs? 

Not sure where else they go, but TRC isn't a great fit for them conference wise when you're just looking at the football program. 

19 hours ago, NEinFAN said:

Just speaking for TV, highly doubt it. How many times do they turn 8/9 win regular seasons into early sectional outs? 

Not sure where else they go, but TRC isn't a great fit for them conference wise when you're just looking at the football program. 

You def bring up two very good points. Not giving them excuses, but every reclassification ends with Valley going to the dominate Sectional for 2 years. If not for some years I think they def had the talent of other sectional champions just had to play the state champion in the first three rounds every year. 

As for leaving the TRC, I agree. The problem is finding another conference to join. The Northern conference might put them in about the same spot they are in. Maybe a little more competition every week, but I think they would end up dominating it as well. After that, I'm not sure where they go. Its one of those things where I think they might just be content with piling on the conference championships, and maybe one day when Chatard is up in 4A they find a way to make a playoff run.

• Like 1

When the Northern State Conference split up, Bremen, Glenn and Jimtown should have grabbed up Valley, Rochester and Fairfield to form a new conference.  It would have been a very solid northern Indiana football conference!  They could have also pulled in Mishawaka Marian and Culver Academies to make it an 8 school conference if you don't mind the private schools in there.  It's not too late!!  Someone make it happen!  😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinePrint said:

When the Northern State Conference split up, Bremen, Glenn and Jimtown should have grabbed up Valley, Rochester and Fairfield to form a new conference.  It would have been a very solid northern Indiana football conference!  They could have also pulled in Mishawaka Marian and Culver Academies to make it an 8 school conference if you don't mind the private schools in there.  It's not too late!!  Someone make it happen!  😃

I could have swore something like that did happen but Valley and Rochester said no. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Glenn, Valley and Rochester join the HNAC. 

On 9/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, First_Backer_Inside said:

I don't even see Rochester beating Cass or Central Catholic. 

21 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

I don't even see Rochester beating Cass or Central Catholic. 

You could be right, only time will tell! It may not be worth anything, but Rochester is ahead of both in the sagarin ratings. Calpreps also has Rochester beating both teams. But its football anything can happen. We still have two and a half weeks before Sectional drawings, and then another week before the playoffs start. A lot of time to get better or worse. Either way you are never staying the same!

33 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

You could be right, only time will tell! It may not be worth anything, but Rochester is ahead of both in the sagarin ratings. Calpreps also has Rochester beating both teams. But its football anything can happen. We still have two and a half weeks before Sectional drawings, and then another week before the playoffs start. A lot of time to get better or worse. Either way you are never staying the same!

U can work on O... D and Spec Teams... but Never discount the Intangibles!  😄

Week 6 Predictions: 

Looks like a week again with large margins of victories for the favorites.

North Miami at Maconaquah: Really nice win for the Braves last week and a nice bounce back year for  the Warriors. Look for the Braves to dominate through their passing game. 

Northfield at Wabash: Let's see if Wabash can compete on the line of scrimmage. If they can, could be closer than I think. I don't and think Northfield will wear out the Wabash defense.

Peru at Rochester: Both teams coming off losses in their big rivalry games.  I have a funny feeling this one could be close but maybe I am overestimating the Tigers. 

Southwood at Manchester: Squires surprised the Knights last year. Won't happen  this year as Southwood' seniors will pound Manchester.

Valley at Whitko: Just 6 years ago, Whitko had won 4 straight against Valley and the Vikings head coach resigned mid-season before Whitko won that year's matchup 44-20. 2016 was the bottom of the barrel for the Vikings football  program. Whitko hopes for a similar revitalization after this year. Valley names their score Friday and backups play the entire 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Week 6 Predictions: 

Looks like a week again with large margins of victories for the favorites.

North Miami at Maconaquah: Really nice win for the Braves last week and a nice bounce back year for  the Warriors. Look for the Braves to dominate through their passing game. 

Northfield at Wabash: Let's see if Wabash can compete on the line of scrimmage. If they can, could be closer than I think. I don't and think Northfield will wear out the Wabash defense.

Peru at Rochester: Both teams coming off losses in their big rivalry games.  I have a funny feeling this one could be close but maybe I am overestimating the Tigers. 

Southwood at Manchester: Squires surprised the Knights last year. Won't happen  this year as Southwood' seniors will pound Manchester.

Valley at Whitko: Just 6 years ago, Whitko had won 4 straight against Valley and the Vikings head coach resigned mid-season before Whitko won that year's matchup 44-20. 2016 was the bottom of the barrel for the Vikings football  program. Whitko hopes for a similar revitalization after this year. Valley names their score Friday and backups play the entire 2nd half.

Spot on with everything. Northfield and Wabash will be close for a half. Coach Shaffer has been preaching to his guys to not take the Peru Tigers lightly. We'll see if they have listened to his message. I wonder if Valley's scoreboard can show triple digits. Might just find out tomorrow night 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Braves are soon to be Miami County Champions.  That is if you don't count Jackson township whose kids go to Oak Hill...............................

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Braves are soon to be Miami County Champions.  That is if you don't count Jackson township whose kids go to Oak Hill...............................

Braves have had a very impressive season. Would not have guessed they would be where they are at this point in the season. 

The honeymoon is about to come to an end tho. 2 of their last 3 games are against Valley and Rochester. They are lucky they don't play Southwood in the TRC rotation this year or they would probably be 4th at the end of the year in the conference. 

33 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Braves have had a very impressive season. Would not have guessed they would be where they are at this point in the season. 

The honeymoon is about to come to an end tho. 2 of their last 3 games are against Valley and Rochester. They are lucky they don't play Southwood in the TRC rotation this year or they would probably be 4th at the end of the year in the conference. 

I'm A Believer other hits Flashback Vol. 49

• Like 1

WEEK 7 THOUGHTS:

Whitko at Manchester: Both teams still looking for first win. Always a big rivalry game but more so on the basketball side where things could get chippy, especially from the 1970s through the 1990s. Back to tonight, Manchester has been competitive in some games, Whitko has not. Manchester by double digits.

Wabash at North Miami: What a furious comeback by the Warriors last week that just came up a 2 point conversion short last week against Maconaquah. More momentum for the Warriors tonight at home. Tough for Wabash to catch North Miami napping with their passing attack when the Warriors played Maconaquah last week.

Peru at Southwood: Teams headed in opposite directions. Southwood has taken it to another level by moving Winer to quarterback and Lloyd to running back. The Knights get their fifth win in a row and keep their hopes for a conference championship alive.

Rochester at Northfield: My lone road team prediction for this week. Norse have won 4 out of 5 and 3 in a row against the Zebras. Rochester with more depth and strength up front this year. Zebras also still  keep their conference hopes alive.

Maconaquah at Tippecanoe Valley: Muda69 will believe, but Valley too strong and has enough speed to somewhat control the Braves passing attack. Valley won 52-7 last year and it may be a little closer this year but my concerns for the Braves defense have not be alleviated. Interesting side note, because of the schedule left remaining and possible conference title shots, Rochester will be cheering for Maconaquah and Southwood will be cheering for Valley since Vikings play at Southwood week 9, and Rochester ends their season with the Braves.

Edited by Justafan
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 1:37 PM, First_Backer_Inside said:

What will be interesting about the schools joining together (if it happens) will be the decisions on head coaches for different sports. Example being football. Two great coaches that have both won a lot of games. Only one can hold the title of Head Coach tho.

If the two became one immediately, with the snap of the fingers (which can't possibly happen), I can say with almost certainty that Dave would graciously wish Baker all the luck in the world and step aside -- something he'd already been considering, according to my sources. No way would he even attempt to make the daily journey from LaFontaine to the north side of Wabash. Not at 65+ years of age. We have all been blessed to no end by what Dave Snyder has given to Southwood football -- more, maybe, than anyone outside the program can understand -- but there are no illusions about him doing this any more than just year to year, according to how he feels about the job. 

As for the referendum and possible contraction (consolidation already took place decades ago) of the two high schools, I will always look at it with partisan eyes and oppose it. We are Southwood. We are not Northfield or whatever they try to call it in a cornfield north of town. I'd rather see all three schools (Southwood, Northfield and Wabash) become one rather than let the high and mighty north of town who run Metro steamroll us. I get it. It's supposed to be about learning, and my family has at various times gone to all lengths to get the best education for our three kids. But this is a football forum, and this is personal. 

On 9/30/2022 at 1:48 PM, Justafan said:

Do you have  a gut feel if the MSD referendum will pass? Either way sounds like MSD board will contract the 2 high schools in the near future.

They certainly seem hellbent on doing it. Some years ago (less than 10, more than 5?), the board of trustees had all but decided to move all high-schoolers to the Northfield building and all junior-high/middle-schoolers to the Southwood building. Only problem was, they basically made the deal in secret (I'm sure they avoided any problems with the Sunlight laws somehow), and when folks found out they were left with angry constituents and parents pulling their kids out of MSDWC. That plan was scrapped and finances seemed to magically improve over the course of the next few years, until things got to this point again. The building of a new high school, instead of putting everyone at NF, is seen as a way to somehow pacify the southern end of the district, IMHO. Sort of like the deal southern Huntington County was sold when they consolidated the entire county. Ever wonder why it's called Huntington North when there's no Huntington South?! The big difference is, as I see it, that Huntington has a very accessible bypass around town which everyone south of the school can easily use. There is no such easy way around Wabash, plus there's three major rivers in the district to get over. There's only so many crossing points for student drivers and school buses. 

I'm not physically close enough now to the district to know what the odds are of it passing. Referendums don't tend to make it in rural settings, and most of the people I know still there would tend to vote no, but they probably don't represent an accurate cross section of potential voters and parents. There's a fairly busy and heated Facebook group out there associated with the question, which was started a while back when the topic of consolidating all three high schools (NF, SW & WA) reared its ugly head once again. That came shortly after Wabash City Schools failed to get they referendum to pass by voters. Seemingly, Wabash is also on better financial footing, probably due to the general prosperity everybody felt pre-COVID, but the double whammy of COVID fatigue and generational inflation has got these smaller districts looking for answers.

The problem is pretty simple: There's just fewer students overall in the county than there were in the '50s and '60s, when consolidation was all the rage. Back then, Wabash City Schools probably had no intention of ever teaming up with the various township schools. Taxes and funding were much different. Wabash still had a fairly vibrant manufacturing base, and Metro was formed pretty much of all rural schools. Now, lots of factors have changed, and the new funding formula has staved off complete disaster for the dwindling tax base in town, but a majority of people, like me, still cling to their respective identities at the three high schools (four, if you include Manchester) -- no matter how much all sides probably, desperately need to come together.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, Sportsguy said:

We are Southwood. We are not Northfield or whatever they try to call it in a cornfield north of town.

As opposed to a cornfield south of town.  While not a farmer I did grow up in a rural area surrounded by cornfields.  You have to admit they all pretty much look the same.

Go Braves.

Sportsguy: Great analysis on the Wabash county situation!

My thoughts on week 7 football results.

Cole Winer is on fire. 8 touchdowns this past week and I believe 14 over the past two weeks. 7 passing and 7 rushing. Moving him to quarterback and Lloyd to running back for Southwood has paid huge dividends.

Valley completely dominated Maconaquah. Not surprised about the winning the battle up front, but 2 interceptions and forcing a running clock at halftime with the score 43-7 was a little surprising.

Offensive explosion in the Rochester-Northfield game. Zebras force just enough turnovers to stay in the conference chase.

Just when it looked like North Miami had rallied for a last minute win. Wabash with a touchdown kickoff return to win the game on the road.

Manchester got their first win and Whitko looked like they improved again in their 3rd week under Coach Sprunger.

Will go into more detail later in the week, but this week looks like maybe 4 lopsided games and 1 that could be a tossup.

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

As opposed to a cornfield south of town.  While not a farmer I did grow up in a rural area surrounded by cornfields.  You have to admit they all pretty much look the same.

Go Braves.

Actually, Southwood was carved out of the woods adjacent to White's, thus the "Southwood" reference. The geographical center of MSDWC is, in fact, south of the river -- albeit in a rather remote location near the river southeast of Paradise Springs. Maybe they could call it Riverside High! Erecting a brand-new building to house the contraction of NF and SW just a stone's throw from Wabash High School looks a little silly on paper. I predict an enrollment increase for both Manchester and Oak Hill schools if this passes.

Edited by Sportsguy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Justafan said:

Sportsguy: Great analysis on the Wabash county situation!

Will go into more detail later in the week, but this week looks like maybe 4 lopsided games and 1 that could be a tossup.

Interesting how the scheduling worked out prior to the showdowns the following week.

• Like 1