Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

INDIANA DEAF AND RICHMOND

Sagarin Ratings has Indiana Deaf ranked 262 and Richmond 268.  I think Richmond has just about had it.  It can only get better from here.  Congrats to Indiana Deaf, the have a great program and they make Indiana proud.  Richmond is not the only team that might need some smelling salts for this year.  Attica, Plymouth, and Whitko fans might be feeling faint after the first three games.  But there is always next year.  Richmond always had great teams from the 1950's until about 1995.  It is just hard to believe.

Richmond has really fallen on hard times as a community. Enrollment is declining, population is declining, socioeconomics are tough. They've been semi-competitive in basketball but things have really fallen off in football the last 5-6 years. Like a lot of East Central Indiana communities, they've lost a lot of families/students/athletes to the smaller county schools (Centerville, especially, has benefited from flight from Richmond) and from people simply moving away. 

I know there has been a great football culture there and there are a few people left who helped build that, but it's a challenge right now. 

3 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Richmond has really fallen on hard times as a community. Enrollment is declining, population is declining, socioeconomics are tough. They've been semi-competitive in basketball but things have really fallen off in football the last 5-6 years. Like a lot of East Central Indiana communities, they've lost a lot of families/students/athletes to the smaller county schools (Centerville, especially, has benefited from flight from Richmond) and from people simply moving away. 

I know there is a great football culture there, but it's a challenge right now. 

Richmond's definitely struggled on the football side.  Last season, Harrison's JV ended up playing Tri-West instead of Richmond's JV.  I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that, but it may have been like the situation with Anderson, where Anderson's JV ended playing Harrison's freshman squad and Harrison's JV squad instead played Chatard's JV squad.  Definitely a tough hill when your undercards aren't able to play the guys that will be on the main event the following year.

50 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I get wanting to raise a flag at Richmond's decline, but why the comparison to Indiana Deaf?

I guess it was to show how far Richmond has declined.  Did you ever think Indiana Deaf would be ranked higher than Richmond?  I just saw the rankings and noticed this and thought I would share the info.  I know things change, but it still seems hard to believe.  In 1992 Richmond gave Ben Davis a good game, now it seems like they can't beat anybody.  I feel bad that Richmond has to make the long trip to Lafayette Jeff this Friday.

Edited by Tippy