Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

11 on 11 Vs. 7 on 7

As a coaching staff, we have decided to stay away from 7 on 7.  We feel that it has very little carry over to real football.  I know many still do it.  I would like to hear from coaches about their reasoning for or against it.  

We really feel that we need to use our days for either skill development or 11 on 11.  What are other coaches feelings?

1 hour ago, Punttheball said:

As a coaching staff, we have decided to stay away from 7 on 7.  We feel that it has very little carry over to real football.  I know many still do it.  I would like to hear from coaches about their reasoning for or against it.  

We really feel that we need to use our days for either skill development or 11 on 11.  What are other coaches feelings?

Not a coach, but we spend a lot of time running 7 on 7 in summer workouts and throughout the fall at practice.   We did the Colts 7 on 7 last summer (only because its by invite, a fun event for the kids, and we won $1,000 for the program by winning it).  We don't do any other 7 on 7 events though, mainly because our coach thinks the kids give enough time during the summer and adding weekends out of town is an unnecessary burden.  I don't recall us doing anything (7 on 7 or 11 on 11) with any other schools last year except at the Hanover team camp.      

I really think it depends on where you are personnel wise. If you have a young QB or young skill group, it can be huge as a stepping stone between practicing and 11 v 11. However, as a football fundamentalist, I don't care for it much. Coaches run things in 7 on 7 they will never run in the season in terms of formations, concepts and coverages. That drives me crazy and I don't find value in that.

• Like 1

I mean. If your team is built around running the ball and you don’t really have the personnel to pass all the time skipping 7 on 7s doesn’t hurt except for learning to defend the pass

but take GIbson southern for example...they travel for 7 on 7s every year. Go down to the national select 7 on 7 and compete against top programs....Gibson southerns offense has been one of the top in the state year after year because of this.  By the time the season starts, I would argue a lot of the routes and plays are already learned and only progress from there.  The defense is also on board with coverages too. 

Lots to benefit from but you can make a case against I suppose. But many who use them to their advantage can make the case on why they are great

• Thanks 1

Are you talking about 7 on 7 passing leagues? There may not be a lot of carry-over, but it should motivate kids to compete and work hard.

It is valuable as a practice period to pull together the passing game skills and work on coverage recognition and timing. Lineman get to focus blitz pickup. 

1 minute ago, tango said:

Not a coach, but we spend a lot of time running 7 on 7 in summer workouts and throughout the fall at practice.   We did the Colts 7 on 7 last summer (only because its by invite, a fun event for the kids, and we won $1,000 for the program by winning it).  We don't do any other 7 on 7 events though, mainly because our coach thinks the kids give enough time during the summer and adding weekends out of town is an unnecessary burden.  I don't recall us doing anything (7 on 7 or 11 on 11) with any other schools last year except at the Hanover team camp.      

Maybe I should have said, we use it in practice.  We just do not see a use for it when we can go 11 on 11 in the summer.