Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Kick Off Return

MarkCalaway

Question

https://www.hudl.com/online-video-editor/34744/63844349/

How would you officiate this situation. 

During the kick off the ball is close to the sideline, but not out of bounds.  The player for the return team steps out of bounds and downs the ball as it is still in bounds. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MarkCalaway

7 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, MarkCalaway said:

During the kick off the ball is close to the sideline, but not out of bounds.  The player for the return team steps out of bounds and downs the ball as it is still in bounds. 

Thanks in advance.

Because the R player was out of bounds when he touched the ball, this is a free kick out of bounds. R can take the ball at the out of bounds spot + 5 yds., or take the ball 25 yds. from the spot of the kick, or move the spot of the kick back 5 yds. and re-kick.

5 hours ago, MarkCalaway said:

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Because the R player was out of bounds when he touched the ball, this is a free kick out of bounds. R can take the ball at the out of bounds spot + 5 yds., or take the ball 25 yds. from the spot of the kick, or move the spot of the kick back 5 yds. and re-kick.

Let me clarify. The situation you initially reported did not have the phrase “on his own,” or “intentionally,” as is used in the case book. The complete play and ruling in the case book is as follows:

“9.6.2 SITUATION C K1 free-kicks the ball toward the sideline. R1 runs to a sideline and intentionally steps out of bounds. While R1 is still out of bounds, he intentionally touches the ball as it nears the sideline. The ball is declared dead by the covering official. RULING: Illegal participation by R1. (4-3-1, 6-1-9)”

If that accurately describes the play in question, then the correct ruling is illegal participation on R.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Let me clarify. The situation you initially reported did not have the phrase “on his own,” or “intentionally,” as is used in the case book. The complete play and ruling in the case book is as follows:

“9.6.2 SITUATION C K1 free-kicks the ball toward the sideline. R1 runs to a sideline and intentionally steps out of bounds. While R1 is still out of bounds, he intentionally touches the ball as it nears the sideline. The ball is declared dead by the covering official. RULING: Illegal participation by R1. (4-3-1, 6-1-9)”

If that accurately describes the play in question, then the correct ruling is illegal participation on R.

Ahh, so big difference to the NFL there. What does NCAA say?

23 hours ago, Esso Ayche said:

Ahh, so big difference to the NFL there. What does NCAA say?

Not necessarily. Are you referring to this play by the Packers in 2016? I believe this play resulted in an NFL rule changes. I scanned through the NFL rule book but didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere. The NFHS rule was changed about the same time. This would still result in a free kick out of bounds foul against the kicking team in NCAA.

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

Not necessarily. Are you referring to this play by the Packers in 2016? I believe this play resulted in an NFL rule changes. I scanned through the NFL rule book but didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere. The NFHS rule was changed about the same time. This would still result in a free kick out of bounds foul against the kicking team in NCAA.

The video isn't available to me, but I'm 99% sure we're talking about the same play. Or at least something that is close enough for horseshoes. Kicked near the sideline, gets OOB, lays down and reaches the ball. I assumed this was still the rule.

Frankly, I sorta liked it. Gaming the rules, smart stuff. But I do get why you wouldn't want to penalize the K for otherwise being legal.

On 10/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, Bobref said:

So if the ruling is illegal participation by R1, what is the enforcement? 15 yards from previous spot and rekick? (which would presumably be from the +45?) or does the kicking team have the option to allow R1 to take the ball 15 yards from the spot of where the ball was touched? 

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

So if the ruling is illegal participation by R1, what is the enforcement? 15 yards from previous spot and rekick? (which would presumably be from the +45?) or does the kicking team have the option to allow R1 to take the ball 15 yards from the spot of where the ball was touched? 

This is a loose ball foul by R, so it’s previous spot enforcement. Re-kick from the +45 or decline the penalty and R takes the ball at the out of bounds spot.

• Like 1