Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week Two Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

I originally thought Week One was a quiet week, officiating-wise. Turns out, it was only quiet on the GID. I heard quite a few interesting stories from Week One games. But the GID patrons, by and large, didn’t have any issues — at least, not that they aired publicly.

However, it’s a new week. So, post your officiating issues here. If you have a gripe, that’s fine. Just present it in an intelligent and respectful way. That’s much more conducive to a rational discussion than one that includes words like “garbage,” or “cheated.” 

11 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, gindie said:

The play at 25:50...was it correctly blown dead?  There was a fumble on the play, and when the down was replayed the QB ran 50 yards for a score.

The announcers say it was blown dead at the snap, but I'm not sure that's true. This would be the correct enforcement if he was down before the ball came out as well. I believe that's what the crew ruled. Based on the replay I saw it was very close and a judgement call by the officials. An illegal shift like this is a live ball foul at the snap that does not shut down the play.

5 hours ago, JustRules said:

The announcers say it was blown dead at the snap, but I'm not sure that's true. This would be the correct enforcement if he was down before the ball came out as well. I believe that's what the crew ruled. Based on the replay I saw it was very close and a judgement call by the officials. An illegal shift like this is a live ball foul at the snap that does not shut down the play.

100%. You can see the back judge coming in at the end of the play, killing the clock, and going to the spot where the runner went down, not to where the ball was recovered.

Very difficult call as to whether the runner was down or not. But that’s a bang bang judgment call, so I have no issue with the crew there. Where I do have an issue, however, is with the aftermath. Coach Yeoman is all the way out almost to the hash discussing it with the R. Discussion is fine, but it cannot take place out on the field. Need the wing on that side to keep the coach off the field and have the R come over and talk to him on the sideline, if necessary. Coaches may come out on the field during a charged timeout, or for an injury. Not otherwise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

Very difficult call as to whether the runner was down or not. But that’s a bang bang judgment call, so I have no issue with the crew there. Where I do have an issue, however, is with the aftermath. Coach Yeoman is all the way out almost to the hash discussing it with the R. Discussion is fine, but it cannot take place out on the field. Need the wing on that side to keep the coach off the field and have the R come over and talk to him on the sideline, if necessary. Coaches may come out on the field during a charged timeout, or for an injury. Not otherwise.

@Bobref's idea of good seats for coaches. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2023 at 1:55 AM, JustRules said:

I didn't hear a whistle and it happened almost right in front of me. Also I was told this year that you are not allowed to push the ball carrier from behind anymore ie: Bush Push. Mishawaka constantly did it and it was not called. Are they allowed to or not?

6 minutes ago, BSUKingsmen said:

was told this year that you are not allowed to push the ball carrier from behind anymore ie: Bush Push

This has never been legal in high school football. In fact, in 2023, the National Federation has made it a Point of Emphasis. Here’s some language from the NFHS 2023 rulebook:

”Rule changes have been made at higher levels of football allowing offensive players to pile in behind and directly push the runner. Because of these changes, we are now seeing similar plays at the high school level. As guardians of the game, it is imperative that all stakeholders work together to remove “helping the runner” from our high school game. … Pushing the pile is legal; direct contact and pushing, pulling, lifting the runner is not.”

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This has never been legal in high school football. In fact, in 2023, the National Federation has made it a Point of Emphasis. Here’s some language from the NFHS 2023 rulebook:

”Rule changes have been made at higher levels of football allowing offensive players to pile in behind and directly push the runner. Because of these changes, we are now seeing similar plays at the high school level. As guardians of the game, it is imperative that all stakeholders work together to remove “helping the runner” from our high school game. … Pushing the pile is legal; direct contact and pushing, pulling, lifting the runner is not.”

That's a tough call. So to "push the pile", you would need to push a defender that is in contact with the ball carrier in order to be legal, correct?

12 minutes ago, BSUKingsmen said:

That's a tough call. So to "push the pile", you would need to push a defender that is in contact with the ball carrier in order to be legal, correct?

Well, you can also be in contact with other offensive players. Just not the runner.

59 minutes ago, BSUKingsmen said:

But that offensive player can't be in contact with the ball carrier can he? I'm just trying to understand.

You can’t push the runner. Can’t be simpler. Admittedly, when you have a big scrum, it can be difficult to discern who is pushing who. That’s why the guys in stripes get paid the big bucks. 😉

• Haha 1