Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Help Out the Officials

28 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Mainly because, if you fair catch a punt, you typically go on offense.  If you've got two minutes left in the half, then you probably see about getting closer and then kicking a closer field goal or trying to get a TD.  If you've got about 10 seconds left in the half and you fair catch that thing around the opponent's 35, you've got a shot at a 52-yard field goal with no rush.  There's a decent number of kickoff kickers that can put a ball through the uprights at 50 yards with no opposing rush, snap, and set needed along with a run-up.  Likely to take that as opposed to taking a shot at the endzone that results in 5 seconds left on the clock with an incomplete pass and a 52-yard attempt with a rush.  As others have said, it's a pretty unique situation that needs to come together to make it a truly viable option.

My bad ... here's a correction on this part ... you'd have a shot at a 45-yard field goal as you wouldn't have to worry about the snap, placement, and rush.  Makes it a better deal because, you attempt one play that goes for no yards, that then turns into a 52-yard kick with a snap, placement, and rush, as opposed to a 45-yard kick with no rush/snap/placement issues.

19 hours ago, Trojan67 said:

From my understanding on the rule, the ball cannot be moved to the middle. 

After an awarded fair catch, the ball can be moved anywhere between the hash marks:

"6-5-4    The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the hash marks:

a. on the yard line through the spot of the catch when a fair catch is made;

b. through the spot of interference, when a fair catch is awarded; or

c. at the succeeding spot when the distance penalty for kick-catch interference is accepted following an awarded fair catch and the down is not replayed

These choices remain if a dead-ball foul occurs prior to the next down, or a foul or an inadvertent whistle occurs during the next down and the down is replayed."

This part can make this situation extremely complicated, if there is a fair catch, the offense runs a play and the defense commits a foul that makes the down replayed, the offense can accept the penalty and then choose to move the ball AND attempt a free kick for a field goal.  

I wish I knew how to embed videos , but I'm not that tech savy. But we had a really bad one this past Saturday on a fumble recovery...ball was loose (a clear fumble- that part was not disputed), we jumped on it, they jumped on it, we jumped on it again. Somehow, the side judge had ruled one team had possession while the ball was still rolling around. Very confusing. 

5 hours ago, foxbat said:

Mainly because, if you fair catch a punt, you typically go on offense.  If you've got two minutes left in the half, then you probably see about getting closer and then kicking a closer field goal or trying to get a TD.  If you've got about 10 seconds left in the half and you fair catch that thing around the opponent's 35, you've got a shot at a 52-yard field goal with no rush.  There's a decent number of kickoff kickers that can put a ball through the uprights at 50 yards with no opposing rush, snap, and set needed along with a run-up.  Likely to take that as opposed to taking a shot at the endzone that results in 5 seconds left on the clock with an incomplete pass and a 52-yard attempt with a rush.  As others have said, it's a pretty unique situation that needs to come together to make it a truly viable option.

Gotcha.    I thought that was in the rule is what I was asking.    I would love to see this live.