Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Referee Crews and the Playoffs

Coach_K

Question

I read a lot of questions and articles regarding officiating being a basketball official (JV and lower) and football coach.  Anyway I have a few questions:

1. Will crews who get rated very low say average a 1.5 on the new scale (not tournament ready) still get a playoff game because there are not enough crews? Or will games get moved?  Would the IHSAA take a crew out of the Northwest and send them to Southwest?

2. Will the IHSAA move to a "basketball" type system where they break up crews and get the "best" individuals to referee tournament games?

3. What would you do if you were a good young (or old) official on a low scoring crew? (Leave the crew, would you get recruited to another crew, etc.)

7 answers to this question

33 minutes ago, Coach_K said:

I read a lot of questions and articles regarding officiating being a basketball official (JV and lower) and football coach.  Anyway I have a few questions:

1. Will crews who get rated very low say average a 1.5 on the new scale (not tournament ready) still get a playoff game because there are not enough crews? Or will games get moved?  Would the IHSAA take a crew out of the Northwest and send them to Southwest?

2. Will the IHSAA move to a "basketball" type system where they break up crews and get the "best" individuals to referee tournament games?

3. What would you do if you were a good young (or old) official on a low scoring crew? (Leave the crew, would you get recruited to another crew, etc.)

1. Just depends on how many crews apply I guess.
2. God I hope not.

3. You gotta know, hey we’re young, we’re learning, we’re getting better, this crew sucks and it’s not going anywhere. I would think it would be pretty easy to tell and make the determination based on what you know.

1 hour ago, Coach_K said:

Remember, not everyone plays in Week 1. So, if we have 160 crews apply, but there are only 120 games, generally speaking, the lowest rated 40 crews are going to sit. But remember, the coaches’ vote is not the only factor.

it’s more likely the sun will burn out first, and we won’t have to worry about how to implement that.

That depends on a lot of things. The most important are “What are my officiating goals?” and “Is this a crew that is willing to do what it takes to get better, or not?”

My largest concern is BEYOND the Sectional Finals.

I would like to have 7 man crews from that point forward.  

The IHSAA in every other sport, adds additional officials for the playoffs, yet when it comes to FB. "Crickets " and opposition to the situation.  Then why at the Finals, do you implement a 6th official for FG/PAT?

Adding 2 officials is a great way to help younger officials stay engaged!  I know of at least 6 that I'd jump at the opportunity to employ with my crew.

This HAS to be taken up by the IFCA... at this point ....Meridian Street will NEVER budge!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

My largest concern is BEYOND the Sectional Finals.

I would like to have 7 man crews from that point forward.  

The IHSAA in every other sport, adds additional officials for the playoffs, yet when it comes to FB. "Crickets " and opposition to the situation.  Then why at the Finals, do you implement a 6th official for FG/PAT?

Adding 2 officials is a great way to help younger officials stay engaged!  I know of at least 6 that I'd jump at the opportunity to employ with my crew.

This HAS to be taken up by the IFCA... at this point ....Meridian Street will NEVER budge!

Like everything else of that nature, it’ll happen only if and when the IFCA wants it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Crew chiefs got an email this week that 129 crews applied and there are 124 games in week 1 of the tournament. 96 in the second round. That means 75% of crews will get at least 2 games.

Only 129 crews applied! That is down about 20% in the last 10 years.

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

Only 129 crews applied! That is down about 20% in the last 10 years.

Obviously there are more crews than that during the season because we cover 160ish games each week including 150 games on most Friday nights. Some of those are done by mixed crews or a collection of individuals. Some crews choose not to apply because they don't agree with the rating process. We have definitely had a reduction in the number of crews registered though. Don't know the exact numbers, but they are definitely dropping. We used to cover 150ish first round games.