Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Senator Kruse once again trying to allow Creationism as science to be taught in the government schools.

Muda69

Credit to Irishman in the Memes thread for posting a tweet by Mr. Trump who is applauding this effort.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/28/heres-why-president-trump-tweeting-support-indiana-bible-bill/2699366002/

Indiana's Senate Bill 373 would do several things, all related to religion and education. It would allow schools to mandate the teaching of creationism, require all schools to put posters of the American flag, state flag and motto “In God We Trust” in all classrooms and allow students to get elective credit for religious studies.

It would also require that schools teaching a course on religions of the world include the study of the Bible. State law already allowed for the course, but doesn't specify any particular religious texts. Such courses are supposed to include the historical study of religion, the cultural study of religion and a literary study of writings and documents relating to “various religions.” It must also be “neutral, objective and balanced.”

Filed by Sen. Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn, Indiana's bill has been assigned to the Senate’s education committee but hasn’t been scheduled for a hearing. The committee chair, Sen. Jeff Raatz, has signed on as a co-sponsor.

Kruse, who said he filed the bill to bring more religion back into society, has unsuccessfully pursued some of its proposals in previous sessions. He said he filed the bill now, in part, because of the new makeup of the U.S. Supreme Court.

It’s unclear if the bill will get a hearing, but should it pass, the more conservative makeup of the court could be important because at least one provision is likely to be challenged. Kruse’s bill would allow school districts to set policies that “require the teaching of various theories concerning the origin of life, including creation science, within the school corporation.”

The nation's highest court found the required teaching of creationism to be unconstitutional in a 1987 case, Edwards v. Aguillard. The court was considering a Louisiana law that required creation science be taught alongside evolutionary science in public schools, which it found to be in violation of the First Amendment’s establishment clause because the law was intended to advance a particular religion. 

That clause states “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” The court has interpreted that provision to extend to state and local governments as well, said Daniel Conkle, a professor at Indiana University’s Maurer School of Law.

“It’s quite clear that it would be unconstitutional under existing U.S. Supreme Court precedent to require the teaching of creation science,” Conkle said. “That’s pretty well established.”

In Indiana, Kruse is not shy about his aim of promoting Christianity with his bill.

“I’m a Christian person and a religious person,” he said. “I think we need more Christianity and more religion in our society, in our state.”

So Mr. Kruse believes that using the force of government to shove Christianity down the public's throats is a legitimate use of that force.  

25 minutes ago, swordfish said:

"Senator Kruse once again".....Should tell you what you need to know.  This bill will go nowhere.  If it pushes beyond committee, I will join Muda's drumbeat......Who keeps electing this religious zealot?

The gerrymandering of districts with the super majority has him running unopposed. At least that has been the case his last two terms. 

2 hours ago, swordfish said:

"Senator Kruse once again".....Should tell you what you need to know.  This bill will go nowhere.  If it pushes beyond committee, I will join Muda's drumbeat......Who keeps electing this religious zealot?

Not sure who here in Indiana, but I've got news running in the background while working from home today and I saw a sign at Stone's arraignment this morning that said "Christians support Roger."  Probably someone related to that sign holder.