Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

1 minute ago, itiswhatitis said:

IU has been "suffering" a lot longer than Purdue has.  I've said several times that IU needs to get to the place where Iowa is at:  7 to 9 wins every year and a bowl.  Why do people want to begrudge Tom Allen a raise?  He has 8 wins this season (non conference schedule be damned).  Again I will say it is the first time it's happened since 1993 (and a winning B1G record).  Think of all of the coaches that IU has had since 1993 and none of them had his success.  IU STILL beat the teams they were supposed to this season.  It takes a while to rebuild a program.  Allen has IU trending in the right direction.  I believe another couple of years and you will see IU beefing up their non conference schedule.  For now, Allen is rebuilding the program after years of being in shambles.  You don't do that by playing top 25 teams every week.  If that is what Purdue wants to do, so be it.  That is their "problem".  if people want to pooh pooh IU's "soft" non conference schedule, let them.  It doesn't take away anything from their 8 wins.  The foundation for IU's future is being built on that softer schedule (for now).  Besides, Alabama has done it for years.  They play powerhouse non conference teams like Chatanooga.  Seriously???  Why throw rocks at IU for it?

Think Oregon is regretting scheduling Auburn and wishes they had taken a money game against Portland State instead?

Its the way in 2019...wake up Boilers.

Not throwing rocks:   Just asking food for thought on what your IU fanbase thinks of the current schedule and schedule in the future.  

ME personally, I love the challenge of playing Power5 teams, granted they are not powerhouses, for instance Oregon State, unless drastic change is not feared team, but playing VT in a Home and Home series is great, so is getting ND on the schedule. 

Purdue wants to be a recognizable institution in the B10 football and national landscape, they have made that known with investments in Facilities, HC, assistant Coach contracts and many other to work their way into the deep water if you will.  I like that, will it work, time will tell, I believe Purdue is on their way to that deep water.   

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Not throwing rocks:   Just asking food for thought on what your IU fanbase thinks of the current schedule and schedule in the future.  

ME personally, I love the challenge of playing Power5 teams, granted they are not powerhouses, for instance Oregon State, unless drastic change is not feared team, but playing VT in a Home and Home series is great, so is getting ND on the schedule. 

Purdue wants to be a recognizable institution in the B10 football and national landscape, they have made that known with investments in Facilities, HC, assistant Coach contracts and many other to work their way into the deep water if you will.  I like that, will it work, time will tell, I believe Purdue is on their way to that deep water.   

For now, I could care less if the non conference schedule is the sisters of the weak.  It's all part of the rebuilding process.  There isn't a team in the country that hasn't done it and some are still doing it.  SOS doesn't count when you are a bottom feeder.  6 wins (or more) is ALL that matters.  I'm good with who IU is playing (for now).  As I said in my earlier post, give them a couple of years with 7+ wins and a bowl and THEN you will probably see them playing a bit tougher non conference schedule.  Keep in mind they just played Virginia (last year or the year before) and they (Virginia) just played in the ACC title game last Saturday.  And IU has done facility and stadium upgrades too.

18 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

They gave a guy an extension after finishing 6-7...

30 minutes ago, Temptation said:

They gave a guy an extension after finishing 6-7...

I have ZERO problems with that 

Why do you care being a clear Purdue Non Supporter? 

If you do not believe in path of Brohm led Purdue teams, then you should rejoice the money spent.   

You do understand that extension was 100% connected to keeping him from going to Louisville correct?  

Just now, Coach Nowlin said:

If you do not believe in path of Brohm led Purdue teams, then you should rejoice the money spent.   

You do understand that extension was 100% connected to keeping him from going to Louisville correct?  

Solely scheduling power 5 teams in the non-conference comes across as a bit elitist in my opinion.  I mean, I guess you owe it to your fans to give them competitive games that are worth attending but it just does not make sense for a program like PURDUE.  They had a knee jerk reaction to tying for second in a very mediocre Big Ten West last season. 

They were ravaged by injuries this season so they get a pass but they are still practicing this week if they don't take a foolish trip to Nevada to open the season and schedule TCU.  As we saw on the field, there is not much separation between IU and Purdue but as I pointed out, the Hoosiers DOUBLED Purdue's win total simply due to smarter scheduling.  I get that schedules are set far in advance and Brohm had to walk the company line in the story above but come on...

I believe that Brohm is one of the best offensive minds in the game but it comes down to Jimmy's and Joe's at the end of the day.  His "path" will work but why not throw in a couple of money games every year to get a head start?  Even if they stay healthy in 2020, the gauntlet they have to run through looks like a 5-6 win season at best.

Boiler Up...

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I think the point about giving him an extension is that you're paying him top 10 money. How long do you give Brohm till he actually has to live up to his paycheck. You go 4-8 at any one of the other 9 schools paying their coaches similar to Brohm you're on the hot seat. Do it again you're gone. Brohm has handcuffed the university and the only way Purdue is off the hook is off Brohm leaves voluntarily which at this point I think his value has worn off.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I think the point about giving him an extension is that you're paying him top 10 money. How long do you give Brohm till he actually has to live up to his paycheck. You go 4-8 at any one of the other 9 schools paying their coaches similar to Brohm you're on the hot seat. Do it again you're gone. Brohm has handcuffed the university and the only way Purdue is off the hook is off Brohm leaves voluntarily which at this point I think his value has worn off.

I strongly disagree 

As stated by the current 2020 recruiting class he still has verbal after the 4-8 season. 

I believe Purdue is on track to be consistent 8-9 win teams each year moving forward and on special years get into double digits wins and berth in B10 Title game

1 poor year playing mostly Freshman and Sophomores and all of sudden his value had plummeted.    Interesting   

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I strongly disagree 

As stated by the current 2020 recruiting class he still has verbal after the 4-8 season. 

I believe Purdue is on track to be consistent 8-9 win teams each year moving forward and on special years get into double digits wins and berth in B10 Title game

1 poor year playing mostly Freshman and Sophomores and all of sudden his value had plummeted.    Interesting   

Each year starting when?  Find 8-9 wins on that 2020 schedule for me...

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I strongly disagree 

Each year starting when?  Find 8-9 wins in 2020...

Saturday
Sep. 5
Nebraska Football Schedule at Nebraska CornhuskersMemorial Stadium, Lincoln, NE Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 12
Memphis Tigers Football Schedule Memphis TigersRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 19
Air Force Falcons Football Schedule Air Force FalconsRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 26
Boston College Football Schedule at Boston College EaglesAlumni Stadium, Chestnut Hill, MA Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 3
  OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 10
Rutgers Football Schedule Rutgers Scarlet KnightsRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 17
Illinois Football Schedule at Illinois Fighting IlliniMemorial Stadium, Champaign, IL Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 24
Michigan Football Schedule at Michigan WolverinesMichigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 31
Northwestern Football Schedule Northwestern Wildcats(HC)Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 7
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Schedule at Minnesota Golden GophersTCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 14
Wisconsin Badgers Football Schedule Wisconsin BadgersRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 21
Iowa Football Schedule Iowa HawkeyesRoss-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN Time TBA ETTV TBA Buy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 28
Indiana Football Schedule at Indiana HoosiersMemorial Stadium, Bloomington, IN

7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I strongly disagree 

When do you realistically see Purdue becoming an 8-9 win team moving forward? 

Purdue's secondary is bad, their LB corps isn't great, and they are very thin on the DL and they are now replacing a defensive coordinator. I just don't see Purdue winning 8 regular season games for at least 2 more seasons and that's assuming recruiting stays on the same trajectory. 

I believe in player development and off season development that Purdue has in place at their facility and also the staff who tend to these facilities and programs.  

I have been through the facility 2 times now, seen how they have completely did a make over on how they operate day to day both in season and off season. 

I believe they will make jumps Offensive Line consistency

I believe they will make jumps in DL production and Defensive Back assignment consistency and scheme.  

I do believe LB position is very scarce at this time heading into offseason.   No doubt.  

I believe these things because I have seen it in action up close and in person, to go along with my fandom, I have mixed the two parts, coach and fan to see how they have changed the culture in West Lafayette and believe that will continue to lead to more success, but I also understand that the team is very much more improved offensively then defensively right now.   

Getting Neal BACK IN SHAPE and on the field helps inside A LOT

Another year to get Karlaftis built into his frame, it is remarkable already how much his body has changed already in a year, a lot more leaner and thick from his HS days.  

I like the bodies of Freshman Jalen Grahmn and we didn't get to see much of Marvin Grant due to injuries as well, but he will be a RS Freshman next year.  Cory Trice also as a RS Sophomore had some nice skills at Corner.   

I liken it to some high school teams that play young guys, but very talented guys, but play them young which leads to better outcomes in the future.   Having all these guys get many reps could be very beneficial starting as soon as 2020. 

I know I have stated it before, but I will again:    If all is healthy heading into week 1 vs Nebraska, their Defense will be hard pressed to keep Boilers off the scoreboard with the lineup they will send out there at all skill spots.  

33 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

why not 2020? 

A lot can change from year to year, but you show me 8-9 wins on that schedule...PLEASE.

I think the argument could be made they will be underdogs in at least 8-9...

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

A lot can change from year to year, but you show me 8-9 wins on that schedule...PLEASE.

I think the argument could be made they will be underdogs in at least 8-9...

Its pointless exercise in December of 2019 to predict 2020 wins. 

I have stated multiple times that with the offensive firepower they have back they will be many games in the 4th quarter, maybe all of them.  

you Know what many "pundits" said the same thing in year 1 and 2 in regardless of Purdue...... Show me 6 wins .........   blah blah blah.   

I think the biggest problem with Purdue is the significant lack of real momentum heading in to Year 4 of the Brohm regime.

This should be a real concern for PU fans.

Coaches are expected to be turning the corner by year 4 with a very upbeat and positive outlook, especially in the BT West

I see a lot of "hoping" and "ifs" from the Boiler faithful.

I don't believe Coach Nowlin represents the majority view of Purdue's future  prospects, based on his relative and real closeness to the program.

He lacks objectivity.

2020 looks like a 4 or 5 win season in WL.  

Edited by DT

18 minutes ago, DT said:

2020 looks like a 4 or 5 win season in WL.  

I think that's a doom scenario but there should be some major concern with the lack of development across the offensive line heading into year 4 along with a very thin, albeit talented D-line. I think Purdue fans see the uptick in recruiting, but its loaded at the skill positions and not spread across the field. Guys like Moore, Bell, and Wright are great individual talents, but not talents who single handily are going to will your teams to victory. Not going to have very much success if you can't protect your QB or stop anybody at the LOS. Most Purdue fans I interact with dismiss last season as an anomaly due to injuries, but many seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket banking on a bunch of RS freshman or injured underclassmen who have yet to see significant  game action. I still think Purdue is at least two years away from really being able to "contend" for a B10 west title.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

and how do you know how Purdue's Future prospects feel??   

If you go thru the Purdue thread, you could see where I spoke about the possibility of Holt be let go.....that happened.  

If you go thru the Purdue thread, you can see where I questioned not going for the win vs IU

I am objective knowing that Purdue played the season with an extreme amount of Freshman and Sophomores, that is not the Norm for B10 teams.   That creates a tough winning environment, regardless of how talented some of those youngster are. 

What would you consider "real" momentum?   Still currently have a top 30 class coming in.   How is that not "momentum"  ?    

So lets just play this game:  

What if Purdue actually wins 8+ next year?   I really hope  to see multiple messages stating how WRONG these "takes: were by the peanut gallery.   In the meantime, it just seems like IU fans taking victory laps.....  

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I think that's a doom scenario but there should be some major concern with the lack of development across the offensive line heading into year 4 along with a very thin, albeit talented D-line. I think Purdue fans see the uptick in recruiting, but its loaded at the skill positions and not across the field. Guys like Moore, Bell, and Wright are great individual talents, but not talents who single handily are going to will your teams to victory. Not going to have very much success if you can't protect your QB or stop anybody at the LOS. Most Purdue fans I interact with dismiss last season as an anomaly due to injuries, but many seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket banking on a bunch of RS freshman or injured underclassmen who have yet to see significant  game action. I still think Purdue is at least two years away from really being able to "contend" for a B10 west title.

I agree that 2021 absolutely is a year I have circled to see the Boilers in the conversation to get to Indy.  No doubt.   

If folks watched closely, the OL got better as the season went on.   

Unfortunately, the defense did not, hence the change in DC.  

6 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

If you go thru the Purdue thread, you could see where I spoke about the possibility of Holt be let go.....that happened.  

If you go thru the Purdue thread, you can see where I questioned not going for the win vs IU

I am objective knowing that Purdue played the season with an extreme amount of Freshman and Sophomores, that is not the Norm for B10 teams.   That creates a tough winning environment, regardless of how talented some of those youngster are. 

What would you consider "real" momentum?   Still currently have a top 30 class coming in.   How is that not "momentum"  ?    

What if Purdue actually wins 8+ next year?   I really hope  to see multiple messages stating how WRONG these "takes: were by the peanut gallery.   In the meantime, it just seems like IU fans taking victory laps.....  

I already offered a nice incentive for an 8 win season.  Tom Allen, Lovie Smith, PJ Fleck, Scott Frost and Pat Fitzgerald would also say that they played with a heavy burden on freshman and sophomores this past season.  Thats an old excuse for PU.  The west is improving.  Minnesota has arrived.  Illinois and Nebraska are improving, and both may have a higher ceiling than PU.  Northwestern will be back .  Iowa and Wisc are elite.  Rough road ahead for Brohm.  Had he not signed the extension, he would probably be looking hard at leaving.  

You misunderstood my use of the word "prospects"

Take another look.  You teach english, correct?

20 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Not an IU fan either...

I'll be the first one to get on here if Purdue pulls out an 8 win season next year...just don't see it happening.

41 minutes ago, DT said:

I already offered a nice incentive for an 8 win season.  Tom Allen, Lovie Smith, PJ Fleck, Scott Frost and Pat Fitzgerald would also say that they played with a heavy burden on freshman and sophomores this past season.  Thats an old excuse for PU.  The west is improving.  Minnesota has arrived.  Illinois and Nebraska are improving, and both may have a higher ceiling than PU.  Northwestern will be back .  Iowa and Wisc are elite.  Rough road ahead for Brohm.  Had he not signed the extension, he would probably be looking hard at leaving.  

You misunderstood my use of the word "prospects"

Take another look.  You teach english, correct?

I do not

Not an excuse, stating facts that Purdue had most freshman, Sophomores in the b10 on their 2 deep.   

That is a fact.   Agree the West is/has improved, I believe Purdue is going to be right there with them.  Clearly you all do not, which is fine and dandy just when they do, I expect to see some, WOW, COACH NOWLIN, YOU WERE RIGHT!!   

I am ready for said Chuck Wagon

You also stated that Pat Fitzgerald is going to be the Bears Head Coach 

Can you tell me how many Freshman started for Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois?    I would agree that IU also was very young and I have also stated that IU/PU will continue to be a fun meaningful series, strictly due to Tom Allen's arrival and his impact at the University, you know the same Tom Allen you railroaded against for almost a decade??   

31 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Not an IU fan either...

I'll be the first one to get on here if Purdue pulls out an 8 win season next year...just don't see it happening.

fair enough 

11 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I do not

Not an excuse, stating facts that Purdue had most freshman, Sophomores in the b10 on their 2 deep.   

That is a fact.   Agree the West is/has improved, I believe Purdue is going to be right there with them.  Clearly you all do not, which is fine and dandy just when they do, I expect to see some, WOW, COACH NOWLIN, YOU WERE RIGHT!!   

I am ready for said Chuck Wagon

You also stated that Pat Fitzgerald is going to be the Bears Head Coach 

Can you tell me how many Freshman started for Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois?    I would agree that IU also was very young and I have also stated that IU/PU will continue to be a fun meaningful series, strictly due to Tom Allen's arrival and his impact at the University, you know the same Tom Allen you railroaded against for almost a decade??   

fair enough 

I am drinking the IU koolaid in very small doses.

We still haven't beaten anyone of consequence.  The Nebraska win looks great on paper, but the Huskers suck in all reality.  Which is a shame.

I am looking at the PU-Brohm situation and at this point I give them a C-, D+ after 3 full seasons.  The big raise and extension comes with much higher expectations.  Ill bet he is feeling the pressure to make a big splash next season.  

The honey moon is now over for Allen at IU.  he will be feeling the same pressure of raised expectations next year

Edited by DT

7 minutes ago, DT said:

I am drinking the IU koolaid in very small doses.

We still haven't beaten anyone of consequence.  The Nebraska win looks great on paper, but the Huskers suck in all reality.  Which is a shame.

I am looking at the PU-Brohm situation and at this point I give them a C-, D+ after 3 full seasons.  The big raise and extension comes with much higher expectations.  Ill bet he is feeling the pressure to make a big splash next season.  

The honey moon is now over for Allen at IU.  he will be feeling the same pressure of raised expectations next year

They all should feel pressure:   That is what they are paid to do is win ball games.  There should be pressure.   The most pressure, imo will be 2021.   Especially if they do have a sub 500 year in 2020 as you all predict.  No doubt about that.  

Just for giggles just because I have time and love debunking my man DT on his wackiness based on not facts:  To debunk the other teams you listed relied on Freshman, RS FROSH, or True Soph.

Nebraska vs Iowa

https://www.huskermax.com/nebraska-football-depth-chart/  

Offense:  1 RS FR Center, 1 true Freshman WR:  Soph QB Soph LG

Defense:  2 Sophs:  1 OLB 1 S

NEXT:   Illinois: 

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/illinois/90705

Offense:  1 true Freshman  1 Transfer Soph from Valpo 1 soph TE 

Defense:  1 SOPH DE 1 SOPH S

NEXT:  NW

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/northwestern/91464

Offense:  1 RS Freshman RB 1 soph G  2 total 

Defense:  1 Freshman DE   1 total 

NEXT:  Minnesota:  

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/minnesota/91188

Offense:  1 true Soph WR  2 OL:   RS Freshman Guard and True Soph Tackle

Defense:  1 SOPH Safety: 

IU:  

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/indiana/90728

Offense:  True Frosh LT :  SOPH RB

Defense:  4 SOPH players and 1 True Freshman 

PU:

Offense:  5 Freshman and Sophomores :   Bell and Anderson at WR:   2 OL:  Garvin and Miller and true freshman RB

Defense:  6 on Defense:  Karlaftis and RS Freshman Lawrence Johnson : Soph  Jaylen Alexander LB  Freshman Jalen Grahmn S RS FR Cory Trice CB, FR Cam Allen S

Though, I believe Trice was hurt for the IU game.   

12 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I was wondering, isn't there a Purdue thread?  Seems like this IU thread got hijacked a page or two ago. 

I am just responding :classic_biggrin:

I simply posted:  Food for thought with stats of all who IU beat and then folks wanted to talk Purdue, so why not ya know.