Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indiana Hoosier Football Reaches Pivot Point

Guest DT

6 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

If you say so.....

The football folks from Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, Florida State and Iowa obviously felt different.  

I hear ya.  But something is amiss.  Despite all that attention, he is considering transferring away from one of the weakest P5 programs in the nation.  

And he didnt seem to push Scott at all for PT as a frosh.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:32 PM, DT said:

I hear ya.  But something is amiss.  Despite all that attention, he is considering transferring away from one of the weakest P5 programs in the nation.  

And he didnt seem to push Scott at all for PT as a frosh.

I think since Scott had such a great Freshmen season, he certainly was favorite to be starter in 2019?? 

On 3/10/2020 at 1:44 PM, TrojanDad said:

Starting job is wide open.....I can't see Ramsey going there if it wasn't.

Have you seen recent pics of Michael Penix??  Bulked up....reports say tipping scales at 220lbs.

https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-blog/a-bulked-up-michael-penix-is-ready-to-prove-he-can-be-the-quarterback-iu-can-rely-on-in-2020/2020/3/9

He does look bigger.  First thing I noticed was the knee brace.  Hopefully he will hold up.

Id like to see both James and Scott in the same backfield.  Does Allen have any plans on pairing his two prized backs in a pro style two back set?

On 3/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

This is very disappointing.  Ramsey gives 4 years to the IU program and becomes a major factor in the Hoosier rebuild, and now he changes colors and goes to an enemy program with a chance for his biggest season ever.

Something wrong with this.

Intraconference transfers should be outlawed.  

This is ridiculous.

5 hours ago, DT said:

This is very disappointing.  Ramsey gives 4 years to the IU program and becomes a major factor in the Hoosier rebuild, and now he changes colors and goes to an enemy program with a chance for his biggest season ever.

Something wrong with this.

Intraconference transfers should be outlawed.  

This is ridiculous.

Pisser.

Edited by Gipper

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

I don't know...it is what it is....he graduates in May.  He's earned the right to move on, even within the conference.  Same with Coy Cronk going to Iowa.  Hoping Ramsey takes advantage of Northwesten and get his grad degree.  Brandon Peters left Michigan (after he graduated) and has had a rebirth for the Illini.

Years ago, one could transfer within the Big 10, but it couldn't be on scholarship.  Great example when Jeff George left Purdue to go to Illinois.

Basically this is becoming an extended NFL training ground for future quarterbacks.  

38 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

I guess....although I'm guessing that most don't see Ramsey or Peters as QB's with NFL potential.  I could be wrong.  (leaving Cronk out of the discussion)

Who knows?  Maybe Ramsey can tear it up in CFL or XFL...

51 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Not say he can’t or won’t. I just struggle with DT’s comments the QB transfers within the Big 10 is leading to an extended NFL training ground. I have no problem with grad transfers remaining in the same conference. 

51 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Not say he can’t or won’t. I just struggle with DT’s comments the QB transfers within the Big 10 is leading to an extended NFL training ground. I have no problem with grad transfers remaining in the same conference. 

Im just saying that it is extremely difficult for a school like Indiana to remain consistently competitive in The Big Ten.  So when one of IUs all time most productive players lands at another conference school, in the same competitive band, it makes remaining competitive all that more difficult.  Fortunately the Hoosiers will not see NU in 2020.  Perhaps that is one of the reasons he chose the Cats.  Unless of course the Hoosiers and Wildcats meet in the conference championship game.  LOL

Edited by DT

Got it.  Playing QB at the next level is extremely difficult no matter if you went to Bama, USC, Notre Dame, or even IU. Northwestern is a great school and Mr. Ramsey will get a phenomenal education.

we’d hire a NU grad, especially Kellogg, in a heartbeat...

Edited by Gipper

9 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I hear ya...that's different than the Big 10 becoming an NFL training ground.

Remember, it can happen the other way....where IU can be the recepient of players from other Big 10 schools.  Illinois sure benefited from Peters transfer.

IU has a playmaker in Penix, and don't forget Tuttle was a 4 star.  Allen loves Ramsey and was honest with him.  Penix is the starter.  Ramsey will graduate in May, and has earned the right to enter the transfer portal and go where he wishes.  Other P5 conferences have transfers within....Ramsey is picking an excellent school for academics, and where he feels he can compete for the job with his one year remaining.  Good for him.  I think in this particular case, it was win win.

Penix has bulked up and obviously worked hard in the off-season.  Penix does have NFL potential.  Now let's hope he can stay healthy.

Agree on all points, with one exception.  No intra conference transfers Would have no problem with Ramsey going to NC State, Vanderbilt, UCinn, Arizona State, whatever.  Just no Big Ten schools.  It will be very disheartening to the IU fan base, which is already quite fragile, to sit back and watch Ramsey take the Cats to the Rose Bowl next year.  That would also reflect poorly on Allen should Penix underperform or get hurt again.  

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

NU is not going to the Rose Bowl next year.  And if they did, good for them. (The west is weak.  They just might surprise you if Ramsey has a BT MVP type year) Ramsey has every right to go to the school that is the best fit for him, just like our children.  I am not away of any other P5 schools than ban interconference (intraconference)transfers.  Cronk went to Iowa  (linemen are not gamechangers like QBs are) ...they most likely have a better chance of getting further.  Nothing said about him.

Nothing reflects poorly on Allen in this case.(Penix has a history of getting hurt.  Sounds like college head coaches are being held hostage by the whims of their quarterbacks Ramsey clearly wasn't satisfied in a back up role his final year.  Penix most likely would have left as well.  He kept the best player with the biggest upside and that will be at IU for at least 2 more years.  He also has excellent insurance with Tuttle.  Allen absolutely made the right call, regardless the outcome.  Playing 20-20 after things transpire is for cowards.  He made the best call with the best available information.  It's tough, because Ramsey was a class act and a great player.  But he does not have Penix talent.  That's just reality.

We agree to disagree on allowing interconference transfers.....but it is part of FBS life.  

5 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

1) Now Ramsey has the potential for Big 10 MVP?  Man, that sure grew DT.  We are not aligned on that one.  He still has to win the starting job.

2) Being a OL has nothing to do with it.  You stated you would favor banning all intraconference transfers.  Since that goes beyond QB's, you can't just focus solely on the position.  BTW, the Big 10 has had OL's that have had every bit big of an impact than their QB's.  Remember Orlando Pace?  Its not like Big 10 QB's go into the NFL routinely and tear it up.

3) Allen is not being held to any whim.  More than likely, the one that didn't like his decision was bound to go.  He made the decision on the QB he felt had the most upside, to include a longer playing tenure at IU.  One left....I don't blame him.  He stuck around last year when he got the same tough news....thankfully.  I don't blame him for moving on with one year left and an IU degree under his belt.  Good for Ramsey.

Im ok with the transfer.  I don't like the fact that it is within the conference.   Most high impact transfers have been  interconference :

Burrow - Ohio State to LSU

Hurts : Alabama to Oklahoma

Fields : Georgia to Ohio State

These are win - win transfers.  The player goes to a school with a strong demand for his services and the school doesn't lose a key player to a hated rival.

Can you imagine regular transfers among schools like Michigan and Ohio State?  Alabama and LSU?  Clemson and FSU?  Georgia and Florida? 

These schools already control all the high level talent.  Now they basically offer unrestricted free agency to unhappy recruits 

Not a good long term look for ncaa football

10 minutes ago, DT said:

Im ok with the transfer.  I don't like the fact that it is within the conference.   Most high impact transfers have been  interconference :

Burrow - Ohio State to LSU

Hurts : Alabama to Oklahoma

Fields : Georgia to Ohio State

These are win - win transfers.  The player goes to a school with a strong demand for his services and the school doesn't lose a key player to a hated rival.

Can you imagine regular transfers among schools like Michigan and Ohio State?  Alabama and LSU?  Clemson and FSU?  Georgia and Florida? 

These schools already control all the high level talent.  Now they basically offer unrestricted free agency to unhappy recruits 

Not a good long term look for ncaa football

Do you really feel that NW has no chance to win the west?  Are they that far behind WI, IA, MN?

Ramsey could have a very special year and pull a surprise like prior NW teams

I don't see them better than those teams and perhaps even Nebraska and Illinois.  But, I could be wrong.  They would need some serious improvement in 1 year to put them up with the Badgers, Hawkeyes and Gophers.

He could have a very good year....I hope he does.  

Fitzy is a good coach, but I’m not sure how much he can do with a so-so grad transfer.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Thanks for the intel.

https://www.google.com/search?q=northwestern+2020+football+schedule&oq=northwestern+2020+football&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l6.6455j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=t;/m/0c_fdy;6;/m/012hfxch;mt;fp;1;;

Interesting schedule.  NW will likely be a dbl digit dog in games against Penn State and Wisconsin.  They have the Badgers at home.

Every other game is a toss up.

They open at a rebuilding and damaged Mich State.

I can see the Cats in contention until late in the season.

Not sold on Minnesota.  

Edited by DT

16 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

2 Year Stanford starting DE and former CG great Jovan Swann IU bound!!  Go Hoosiers!! 

37405990-4EAD-41A4-A9D2-F013A0DD4B95.jpeg

Outstanding.  This is the way its supposed to work.  Interconference transfer between Pac 12 and Big 10.  

Does Swann look like a sure fire starter on the DL?

2 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

🙄  Glad his transfer meets your approval.  I thought you said earlier wasn't a big deal about lineman transferring in the same conference....Coy Cronk comment?  Maybe he wanted to come home and play for an improving program.  Having his Stanford degree, Jovan will be entering IU's Kelley MBA program.

IU has depth and strength on their DL, with some young talent coming up.  Jovan will compete and yes, I think he will be a starter.  I have read that they will want him to beef up and possibly play some interior, along with DE in the Hoosier 4 man front.

I said that linemen do not have same impact as QBs do when it comes to transfers.  

1 minute ago, TrojanDad said:

you did...but you also downplayed Cronk's transfer to Iowa when I used it as an example.

Regardless...not going down that rabbit hole with you again....we just see the issue on transfer differently.  And I will always be glad Baker played at Oklahoma and Cam at Auburn.  George at Illinois??  Maybe not so much.....

I think this will become a much bigger issue down the road.  When an intraconference transfer impacts the very top level schools  

• 1 month later...