Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DT

Where's the Talent? - Ben Davis/WarrenCentral/Center Grove

Recommended Posts

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2020/indiana

I cannot recall the last time I didnt see a player from Ben Davis, Warren or Center Grove on the Indiana Top 15 recruiting list.

The narrative floating around this forum is that The MIC is drying up and The HCC is on the rise.  Carmel has 2 players on the list representing the MIC, while Noblesville and Brownburg rep The HCC.

The bigger question is....

Is this the new norm, or just a temporary downturn in talent.  Lawrence Central has been a regular contributor to this list over the past decade as well.  

Bottom line, Carmel continues to pace The MIC when it comes to churning out high level D1 talent.  BD/WC/CG have slipped.  The HCC is catching up, and may have passed the MIC if one were to look at the past 5 years, especially with the skill position talent we have seen come out of The HCC.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CG is young man...junior and soph DL's that just picked up D1 offers.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, CG’s center has been shown interest by high-end D1 schools. And of course Carson Steele has been offered by great schools. QB might get D1 interest, but probably for basketball. Future is bright at CG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DT said:

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2020/indiana

I cannot recall the last time I didnt see a player from Ben Davis, Warren or Center Grove on the Indiana Top 15 recruiting list.

The narrative floating around this forum is that The MIC is drying up and The HCC is on the rise.  Carmel has 2 players on the list representing the MIC, while Noblesville and Brownburg rep The HCC.

The bigger question is....

Is this the new norm, or just a temporary downturn in talent.  Lawrence Central has been a regular contributor to this list over the past decade as well.  

Bottom line, Carmel continues to pace The MIC when it comes to churning out high level D1 talent.  BD/WC/CG have slipped.  The HCC is catching up, and may have passed the MIC if one were to look at the past 5 years, especially with the skill position talent we have seen come out of The HCC.

 

 

That narrative comes from 2 people on this forum, you and Temptation.  Stop that nonsense.

 

Carmel has great athletes but end of day we aren’t in control of our own destiny.  Ben Davis and North Central sure are though, so the most talented football conference in the state has BD and NC sitting at the top dueling it out this weekend for the MIC title with potentially Carmel and Warren Central also in the mix.  

 

Center Grove is very young, Ben Davis is still young and Warren Central just graduated 40+ seniors from last year’s team.  Warren will be just fine.  BD will be just fine.  CG will be just fine.  You’re trying to stir up the notion that these three teams are doomed and they’re not.  These 3 teams have all won state titles in the last 4 years with Carmel sandwiched in between.  

 

No denying the HCC has talent, but you’re talking out of you know where.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, did you know that the majority of the HCC has been in the largest class since 2003 and the suburb movement started happening nearly 20 years ago? 

 

Here we are though, still with a MIC conference that has won 17 of the last 20 titles.

 

The MIC is allowed to have down years.  2010 for example, Sagarin ratings of:

 

Carmel 2 (Lost sectional semi)

Warren Central 3 (Lost sectional round 1)

Center Grove 15 (Lost sectional round 1)

Ben Davis 19 (Lost sectional round 1)

Lawrence North 34 (Lost sectional semi)

Terre Haute North 52 (Lost sectional semi)

North Central 62 (Lost sectional round 1)

Terre Haute South 75 (Lost sectional round 1)

Average of 32.75, a far cry from this year’s average of 14.375.  Still ahead of the HCC 16.625

 

The MIC didn’t die die in 2010, it just came back stronger.  2019 might be down to the standards but the conference is young.  Mark my words.  2020 the conference will be strong again, and CG probably wins the title, possibly even back to back, especially seeing as Avon and Brownsburg lose a lot of talent and will take a step back.

 

Should be fun watching the back peddling next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

That narrative comes from 2 people on this forum, you and Temptation.  Stop that nonsense.

 

Carmel has great athletes but end of day we aren’t in control of our own destiny.  Ben Davis and North Central sure are though, so the most talented football conference in the state has BD and NC sitting at the top dueling it out this weekend for the MIC title with potentially Carmel and Warren Central also in the mix.  

 

Center Grove is very young, Ben Davis is still young and Warren Central just graduated 40+ seniors from last year’s team.  Warren will be just fine.  BD will be just fine.  CG will be just fine.  You’re trying to stir up the notion that these three teams are doomed and they’re not.  These 3 teams have all won state titles in the last 4 years with Carmel sandwiched in between.  

 

No denying the HCC has talent, but you’re talking out of you know where.  

Add Rivals to the list of those “spreading the narrative”, lol.  So uncredible.

Man you are in DENIAL.  

  • Disdain 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DT said:

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2020/indiana

I cannot recall the last time I didnt see a player from Ben Davis, Warren or Center Grove on the Indiana Top 15 recruiting list.

The narrative floating around this forum is that The MIC is drying up and The HCC is on the rise.  Carmel has 2 players on the list representing the MIC, while Noblesville and Brownburg rep The HCC.

The bigger question is....

Is this the new norm, or just a temporary downturn in talent.  Lawrence Central has been a regular contributor to this list over the past decade as well.  

Bottom line, Carmel continues to pace The MIC when it comes to churning out high level D1 talent.  BD/WC/CG have slipped.  The HCC is catching up, and may have passed the MIC if one were to look at the past 5 years, especially with the skill position talent we have seen come out of The HCC.

 

 

Clearly, all these teams are ready for contraction.🤓

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Add Rivals to the list of those “spreading the narrative”, lol.  So uncredible.

Man you are in DENIAL.  

Rivals has nothing to do with the talent of a team.  You don’t need a top 15 player to win a title.

 

My post was a rebuttal that the HCC has been better for the last 5 years.  It hasn’t.  From top to bottom it’s not even better this year as the Sagarin shows.  They might win 6A this year, but guaranteed this is one year only, at least for the next few years.  The MIC will dominate again next year.  I’m confident in what I say.  No need to deny over here.  

20 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Clearly, all these teams are ready for contraction.🤓

I concur.

Carmel also needs to go since they may not even win the conference with having better talent than CG/WC/BD.  Contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Rivals has nothing to do with the talent of a team.  You don’t need a top 15 player to win a title.

 

My post was a rebuttal that the HCC has been better for the last 5 years.  It hasn’t.  From top to bottom it’s not even better this year as the Sagarin shows.  They might win 6A this year, but guaranteed this is one year only, at least for the next few years.  The MIC will dominate again next year.  I’m confident in what I say.  No need to deny over here.  

Please show me a year where a 6A team did NOT have a top 15 player in the STATE...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MIC may be down but that means they are only very, very good and there isn't a dominant team. It wouldn't surprise me to see 3 of the final 4 teams from the MIC this year. It also wouldn't surprise me to see no MIC teams out by the semi-finals because there are good teams in those sectionals ready to take the next step. The fact the teams are more even in the MIC shouldn't indicate anything other than there is no dominant team this year. Even the "bad teams' (Pike, LC, LN) are very talented and would win or compete in every other 6A conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Please show me a year where a 6A team did NOT have a top 15 player in the STATE...

That’s easy, EVERY YEAR.  

 - There are 32 teams, meaning at least 17 teams will not have a top 15 player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

That’s easy, EVERY YEAR.  

 - There are 32 teams, meaning at least 17 teams will not have a top 15 player.

A team that WON state genius.  If you don’t think a 6A team needs a top 15 player/talent to win a title, you’re beyond my help.  You stated so yourself.

2019 might break that trend due to the parity/mediocrity of the class.

Edited by Temptation
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Temptation said:

A team that WON state genius.  If you don’t think a 6A team needs a top 15 player/talent to win a title, you’re beyond my help.  You stated so yourself.

2019 might break that trend due to the parity/mediocrity of the class.

But you didn’t say that, I’m only answering the question that’s given to me...

 

I know a number of coaches who have won state titles without top 15 players and I trust that my time in this game is much further advanced than yours would be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HoosierFB_JG said:

But you didn’t say that, I’m only answering the question that’s given to me...

 

I know a number of coaches who have won state titles without top 15 players and I trust that my time in this game is much further advanced than yours would be.

Since 6A was developed?  Come on son.  You’re out of your element here...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since 6A was developed it’s only been a 4-team race, every single year.  But since you’re on one, 2016 Carmel didn’t have superstars if I remember right, though I was gone on a media trip all fall long.  You’re also giving a 6-year window.  Even if not, I can go right over to our neighbor and show you multiple 8A champs who haven’t had top 15 players.  I know, you asked 6A.  My original point was, you DO NOT need to have a top 15 player to win a title in this state.  I’m certain of this.

 

Please don't ever ever again call me son, it’s disrespectful.  Plus, I’m probably years older than you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

End of day, to say the talent pool is dried up or dropping off at three INCREDIBLE football programs is asinine at best...

 

To day that the MIC as a conference is declining after one year of rebuilding is also, asinine at best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Since 6A was developed it’s only been a 4-team race, every single year.  But since you’re on one, 2016 Carmel didn’t have superstars if I remember right, though I was gone on a media trip all fall long.  You’re also giving a 6-year window.  Even if not, I can go right over to our neighbor and show you multiple 8A champs who haven’t had top 15 players.  I know, you asked 6A.  My original point was, you DO NOT need to have a top 15 player to win a title in this state.  I’m certain of this.

 

Please don't ever ever again call me son, it’s disrespectful.  Plus, I’m probably years older than you.

I bet I could name a couple state title teams with top 15 talent, and without that talent wouldn’t have won. I’d say that to some degree having top 15 talent is needed to win state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cg_holmeaid said:

I bet I could name a couple state title teams with top 15 talent, and without that talent wouldn’t have won. I’d say that to some degree having top 15 talent is needed to win state.

Many times yes, but teams certainly can win without.  I’ve seen a number of Center Grove and Penn teams in the early 2000’s just be really solid as a team with 0 D1 players.  FJ Reitz is another team, didn’t win the title because of James Banks and company but went to the semi-state with 0 D1 talent.  Take BD out of the equation that year and it’s possible that Reitz wins the whole thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cg_holmeaid said:

Also, CG’s center has been shown interest by high-end D1 schools. And of course Carson Steele has been offered by great schools. QB might get D1 interest, but probably for basketball. Future is bright at CG

Curry/Booker are very nice player. Curry is a 2022 that has offer from the Hoosiers.  Booker is a 2021 that has an offer from Cincinnati.  They are a load on the DL.

Crowe is 2020 C and  has several offers including Indiana State, Illinois State, and Western Illinois.

Does Carson have an offer at this time?  

The cupboard is hardly bare . . . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

End of day, to say the talent pool is dried up or dropping off at three INCREDIBLE football programs is asinine at best...

 

To day that the MIC as a conference is declining after one year of rebuilding is also, asinine at best...

The recruiting services tell a different story.

Ben Davis has been producing fewer and fewer high level D1 players over the past decade.  

Center grove typically does not have Top 15 talent, but they will have a lot of guys in the Top 50.  That's why you see so many CG players go to The MAC, the academies or to IU.  

Warren has dominated the Top 15, but has none in the 2020 list.  Is that a one year blip, or a sign of the pool going dry?  Or somewhere in between?  

The recruiting services don't lie, and they don't play favorites.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Curry/Booker are very nice player. Curry is a 2022 that has offer from the Hoosiers.  Booker is a 2021 that has an offer from Cincinnati.  They are a load on the DL.

Crowe is 2020 C and  has several offers including Indiana State, Illinois State, and Western Illinois.

Does Carson have an offer at this time?  

The cupboard is hardly bare . . . 

Not for sure if he’s been offered, but I know that he’s been looked at by some schools. Should’ve done my research prior to that statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cg_holmeaid said:

Not for sure if he’s been offered, but I know that he’s been looked at by some schools. Should’ve done my research prior to that statement.

Steele is an Indiana State level talent.  Nice player, but that is probably his ceiling.  If he goes to a bigger school, he will be disappointed at lack of PT and transfer.

The greatest back in state history cant get a whiff from D1 recruiters.  Steele is far below that level.

  • Disdain 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DT said:

Steele is an Indiana State level talent.  Nice player, but that is probably his ceiling.  If he goes to a bigger school, he will be disappointed at lack of PT and transfer.

The greatest back in state history cant get a whiff from D1 recruiters.  Steele is far below that level.

Not exactly an accurate statement.  Spegal's certainly had a lot of schools in to look at him, holds at least three offers from D1 schools, and PWO offers from two Power 5 schools.

Edited by CaptainHook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DT said:

Steele is an Indiana State level talent.  Nice player, but that is probably his ceiling.  If he goes to a bigger school, he will be disappointed at lack of PT and transfer.

The greatest back in state history cant get a whiff from D1 recruiters.  Steele is far below that level.

I know for a fact that Notre Dame and LSU have shown great interest in him. He recently had a visit down at Kentucky either last week or two weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Not exactly an accurate statement.  Spegal's certainly had a lot of schools in to look at him, holds at least three offers from D1 schools, and PWO offers from two Power 5 schools.

I hope he goes where he wants to go and makes an impact at the next level.  We have seen several Indiana All American QBs sit the bench and then transfer due to lack of either PT or opportunity.  Id rather see a kid go to Central Michigan and break the school rushing and TD record than see him go to Virginia as a PWO and never see the field.  Best of luck to Charlie.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...