Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Caden Curry vs George Karlaftis - which has the bigger upside?

Guest DT

that they were:  as I mentioned few months ago in Purdue thread in the NEXT LEVEL section:   Many of their woes was due to the incredibly young defensive roster who were young and small against some of the B10 OL they faced.   Too many big plays and losing anchors of Neal and Bailey was worse case scenario for a team that was decimated with injuries.  

GK came into a great situation of year 2 of the rebuild of Purdue and had unlimited playing time 

Curry when he decides on where to spend his next years in college may not have that same benefit, depending on where he ends up.   

17 hours ago, DT said:

Karlaftis is the most highly regarded defensive recruit ever out of Indiana.  a 5 star talent who chose local favorite Purdue over national player Miami.

Big George ran roughshod over small school competition for 4 years at West Lafayette.  Is he the real deal ?  2020 season will be a huge year for GK as Coach Brohm is counting on the true sophomore to anchor a typically weak and anemic PU defensive line.

Caden Curry is enjoying his sophomore year at Center Grove and watching his recruiting rankings rise with every update.  The super soph is a 4 star talent, with room to grow into a 5 star over the next two seasons.  Curry plays in the rugged MIC, the Midwest's top high school football conference.

When its all over and done, I see Curry enjoying a long career in the NFL as a defensive end in the JJ Watt mode.  

Big George?  Not quite as big and strong at the major college level as he was playing 3A competition in high school.  Doesn't have the frame to carry 290 plus pounds., 

Edge goes to Curry

Your thoughts?

https://247sports.com/Player/Caden-Curry-46093621/

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/george-karlaftis-182043

“Karlaftis is the most highly regarded defensive recruit ever out of Indiana.”

Stopped reading after your first line...

Jaylon Smith, Jerimy Finch and Sheldon Day would like a word with you...

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

“Karlaftis is the most highly regarded defensive recruit ever out of Indiana.”

Stopped reading after your first line...

Jaylon Smith, Jerimy Finch and Sheldon Day would like a word with you...

Finch   ****  .9782       Day  **** .9517    Karlaftis  **** .9705    Smith ***** .9987       All could lay claim to that title.  

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

Calling Purdue’s defensive line weak and anemic isn’t actually what I’d call accurate given Purdue’s history of quality ends on that side of the ball.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/2019-team-defense.html

Purdue defense ranked 12th in the Big 10 for the 2019 season.  Average yards given up per rushing attempt: 4.7.  Sounds kind of weak and anemic to me...........................

• Disdain 1

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Finch   ****  .9782       Day  **** .9517    Karlaftis  **** .9705    Smith ***** .9987       All could lay claim to that title.  

Then why did you state it as such an absolute?

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Because we operate in the here and now, and many hold that opinion of Karlaftis.  Additionally, therer is so much more media attention today than therer was 10 years ago to the recruiting process.  That also factors in to the equation.  

Splitting hairs but the composite rankings process is the same as it’s always been.  

I’ll let the guy who is averaging nearly 100 tackles per season in the NFL thus far and the starting defensive tackle in the most recent Super Bowl know that they aren’t as good as a sophomore at a Purdue team that failed to make a bowl game because of an increase in “media attention” over the past decade.

Continue on...

11 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I can remeber back in 2005 they were saying the same thing about JB Paxson, Center Gove DE, most highly sought after defensive recruit in state history.  I believe he signed with both Purdue and Tennessee at some point and then backed out.  never played a down.  Played baseball instead

Just now, Temptation said:

Splitting hairs but the composite rankings process is the same as it’s always been.  

I’ll let the guy who is averaging nearly 100 tackles per season in the NFL thus far and the starting defensive tackle in the most recent Super Bowl know that they aren’t as good as a sophomore at a Purdue team that failed to make a bowl game because of an increase in “media attention” over the past decade.

Continue on...

Dont play dumb.  The comparison is beuing made during the recruiting process,  

3 minutes ago, DT said:

I can remeber back in 2005 they were saying the same thing about JB Paxson, Center Gove DE, most highly sought after defensive recruit in state history.  I believe he signed with both Purdue and Tennessee at some point and then backed out.  never played a down.  Played baseball instead

Dont play dumb.  The comparison is beuing made during the recruiting process,  

Yep and all three dudes I mentioned played tougher competition than George.  Guess the camp argument is real.

11 hours ago, DT said:

Unbelievable.  You Snowflakes are too shy to talk about anything around here anymore.  Everything is off limits.  No one is allowed to be offended.  We live in perfect utopia here on The GID.  This place has become unworthy of my contributions.  I'll take my talents elsewhere.

Thank God. Your hatred for Purdue has been well documented in asinine topics such as this. At least you can count on Muda for an upvote.

Edited by AG
  • Like 2
  • Disdain 1

2 minutes ago, AG said:

Thank God. Your hatred for Purdue has been well documented in asinine topics such as this. At least you can count on Muda for an upvote.

I have no hatred for Purdue.  I love IU    

10 hours ago, AG said:

Purdue-IU

Alabama-Auburn

UCLA-USC

Duke-UNC

Harvard-Yale

Michigan-Ohio State

Army-Navy

All are iconic rivalries and the hate/angst/loathing has been transferred to the fans.  Perfectly natural and makes the game even more fun

6 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Its tough to compare players at totally different levels.  One is already proving himself in a Power 5 conference...one has 2 years left of high school and is proving himself at that level.  (I hope given our current challenge)  As Grover says, I want the young man at CG enjoy every snap of high school ball in a premier conference.  I also want George to succeed and become a Big 10 star....except when he plays IU.

That being said, it doesn't bother me you want to compare....just not my thing because I think we are still talking apples to oranges.  Perhaps that might change in the future.

It is a topic that causes one to think a tad....well played DT.

That being said...Roger Staubach/Drew Brees: discuss...

On 4/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, DT said:

Unbelievable.  You Snowflakes are too shy to talk about anything around here anymore.  Everything is off limits.  No one is allowed to be offended.  We live in perfect utopia here on The GID.  This place has become unworthy of my contributions.  I'll take my talents elsewhere.

Good!

On 4/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, Gipper said:

Purdue-IU

Alabama-Auburn

UCLA-USC

Duke-UNC

Harvard-Yale

Michigan-Ohio State

Army-Navy

All are iconic rivalries and the hate/angst/loathing has been transferred to the fans.  Perfectly natural and makes the game even more fun

Auburn/Bama is crazy. 

On 4/23/2020 at 5:41 PM, Gipper said:

I like George.  As for this other dude, never heard of him...

Oh, he’s good. Real good. 

On 4/24/2020 at 7:54 AM, Muda69 said:

It's good to have friends and allies, isn't it?

I am not a country western music fan, but I do remember Garth had a good song about friends in places. 😂