Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Small town politics can be entertaining

Muda69

Dayton Town Council president drives lawn tractor over former council member's foot after argument: https://www.jconline.com/story/news/local/lafayette/2020/06/10/dayton-council-president-drives-over-former-council-members-foot-after-dispute/5336567002/

Dayton Town Council President Ron Koehler and his neighbor, former town council member John Swick, argued Saturday morning near their houses on Shady Lane.

That much the two political rivals agreed on, according to a report from a Tippecanoe County sheriff's deputy.

The police report says that Koehler said he accidentally ran over Swick's foot with his lawn tractor. The police report also says that Swick accused Koehler of intentionally running over his foot.

Koehler, who was sitting on his zero-turn lawn tractor, and Swick, who was on his golf cart, were parked at the end of Shady Lane discussing a road resurfacing project in the town just east of Lafayette, Koehler said. Council member Stan Kyger was there, too, sitting in his golf cart, Koehler said.

Koehler said Swick raised five-year-old allegations that Koehler stole a city toilet.

"I called him a damn liar, and he didn't like that," Koehler said.

According to Koehler, Swick got off his golf cart and started approaching him.

"I yelled at him and told him to get the hell off my property," Koehler said, explaining he was driving away to avoid any confrontation with his neighbor.

Koehler said his back tire might have grazed Swick's shin, but it didn't run over his foot.

"I feel like he was walking into it," Koehler said. "He kept saying, 'Ron, you attacked me. I can't believe you attacked me.'"

Koehler said he called the ambulance and the sheriff's deputies for Swick. Swick wound up going to the hospital.

Swick did not immediately return a call from the Journal & Courier seeking comment. And Kyger, who witnessed the incident, declined to comment Wednesday when the Journal & Courier called him. According to the police report, a witness said it looked like it was an accident.

The incident comes after years of contention in Dayton, where Koehler was the sole dissenting vote on a five-member town council against an annexation and plans for a housing subdivision that came with it on the south side of the town. The dispute over those plans spawned a “Keep Dayton Small” campaign that split leaders in the town, led to lawsuits, produced dueling social media pages and a 2019 election that saw a Koehler-backed coalition winning control of the town council.

There had been no arrests as of Wednesday, in the case, which had been sent to the Tippecanoe County Prosecutor's Office for review and possible charges if prosecutors believe there is a crime, police said.

Good stuff.

• Haha 2
  • Disdain 1