Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2020 6A Thread

There are a lot of variables that will determine who goes where for 2021 and 2022 Sectionals. I think it’ll be very interesting who moves up and down and then where each team is placed. Central Indiana will be very tough in determining sectional alignments.

23 hours ago, BTF said:

Out of the Northeast.............Snider, Homestead, and Carroll.

Snider will be out for blood this year after dropping games to both Homestead and Carroll last year. They seem to be a bit of a mystery to me though. On one hand I can see them bowing out of the sectionals for the second year in a row after a string of 12 straight championships. On the other hand, well, they are still Snider. They could perhaps put together a team that can rumble with the Indy big boys. Never count out Tippmann/Isaacs/Bush.

Don't sleep on Carroll. In fact, I have them as the early favorite to win the SAC and upend Snider in the sectionals for a second year in a row. They have a good quarterback and a great core of receivers returning. Snider's weakness is typically their pass defense. Carroll could exploit that............again.

Homestead took a big hit when Luke Goode decided to hang up his cleats on the gridiron  to focus on Baskeball and his commitment to Illinois. He would have been one of the best 3 or 4 quarterbacks in the state. The Spartans always seem to reload at the quarterback position though. And with the return of Braeden Hardwick, they could make some noise. Homestead was one of the best teams in the state last year when he was healthy.  I'm going to go with a 3rd or 4th place finish in the loaded SAC (loaded at the top) this year.

I would probably put Carroll on top of SAC, probably with Saints. Snider and Homestead battling for 3/4th spot. Any idea who gets the call at QB for Snider (BTF)??

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

I would probably put Carroll on top of SAC, probably with Saints. Snider and Homestead battling for 3/4th spot. Any idea who gets the call at QB for Snider (BTF)??

I'm not sure who gets the call at QB. Like I said, this years team is a mystery to me. They lose some strong players from last year...........a team that was actually better than most people realize. We know they will reload. But will they just get by or will they compete for a state championship..............I don't know. I do know they will have to fix their issues in the secondary if they want to get by Carroll. 

• Like 1

I will add, I'll be surprised if season goes full length. I can see another upswing in cases and schools shut sports down to try to first save school year, but also see districts having school year sustainable challenges as well.

5 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I will add, I'll be surprised if season goes full length. I can see another upswing in cases and schools shut sports down to try to first save school year, but also see districts having school year sustainable challenges as well.

Well said, one never knows.  I’ve been hearing about how the Big Ten May be restricting attendance, I wonder if high schools do as well.

11 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Well said, one never knows.  I’ve been hearing about how the Big Ten May be restricting attendance, I wonder if high schools do as well.

Yeah, I'm just concerned they will get a start to season then the "Rona" spreads and they need to shut down. Hope not, but think there is a good chance that may happen. 

11 hours ago, BTF said:

Certainly makes the road easier for northern powers Penn , Snider, or whoever comes out of the Duneland.  

Some on here will call BS, but I prefer the Greyhounds stay north. The regional will be less interesting without them there. I will miss the Snider/Carmel match-up. Lopsided as far as wins and losses go? Sure. But very competitive games nonetheless. 

I agree

The brackets are out of competitive balance with Carmel in the south

Logic and fairness should outweigh straight line geography when it comes to this issue

30 minutes ago, DT said:

I agree

The brackets are out of competitive balance with Carmel in the south

Logic and fairness should outweigh straight line geography when it comes to this issue

Even with Carmel in the north, the competitive balance isn’t fair.

2 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Even with Carmel in the north, the competitive balance isn’t fair.

North Central has an opportunity to help balance things out.  

CG is not a mega school.  

With Warren and Ben Davis in the South and Carmel and North Central in the North, you have achieved the proper level of logical balance based on school enrollment.

1 hour ago, DT said:

CG is not a mega school.  

With Warren and Ben Davis in the South and Carmel and North Central in the North, you have achieved the proper level of logical balance based on school enrollment.

Yes but you have been quoted on here also stating that the HCC is the conference of the future.

I know you are in favor of competitive balance and throwing some geographical boundaries out the window but Fishers, HSE and Zionsville still sit north of North Central.  Just give it time.

Its just a matter of time before those three programs overtake the Panthers also.  NC will never reach the annual level of Warren, BD or CG either. They’ll be competitive and trip them up every now and again but never be a state power year in and year out in my opinion.

All sending NC north does in the short term is increase the likelihood of an All-MIC semi state and even though I am often critical of the Penn’s of the world I still like to see them get their shot.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, DT said:

CG is not a mega school.  

HSE and Fishers are getting to the point of mega schools. Enrollment is large and continuing to grow.

3 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

HSE and Fishers are getting to the point of mega schools. Enrollment is large and continuing to grow.

Which makes the two coaching changes a head scratcher to me.  Is it money? Unrealistic expectations?  Parents?  Being Carmel’s little brother in everything?

The Hamilton Southeastern School district checks nearly every box when it comes to the capability of athletic success.

1 minute ago, Temptation said:

Which makes the two coaching changes a head scratcher to me.  Is it money? Unrealistic expectations?  Parents?  Being Carmel’s little brother in everything?

The Hamilton Southeastern School district checks nearly every box when it comes to the capability of athletic success.

HSE and Fishers remind me of several other sister schools.    THN and THS.   Franklin Central and Perry Meridian.   Bloom N and Bloom South.   Col N and Col E.   They share common resources and get equal contribution, which tends to keep them on an even keel, one never fully outpacing the other.   As a HC, I would be wary of this.   In my view, that's why Sharpe chose Noblesville.  He gets "all" the local resources.  Doesn't have to split anything with anybody.   Which makes for more upside

7 minutes ago, DT said:

HSE and Fishers remind me of several other sister schools.    THN and THS.   Franklin Central and Perry Meridian.   Bloom N and Bloom South.   Col N and Col E.   They share common resources and get equal contribution, which tends to keep them on an even keel, one never fully outpacing the other.   As a HC, I would be wary of this.   In my view, that's why Sharpe chose Noblesville.  He gets "all" the local resources.  Doesn't have to split anything with anybody.   Which makes for more upside

Once again, unless I’m mistaken, Sharpe didn’t “choose” Noblesville over HSE or Fishers.  Your timeline is off.

Wimmer retired from Fishers in early December.

Sharpe got hired at Noblesville in mid December.

Funk gets hired at Fishers (who is known to make hiring coaches a lengthy process) in mid February.

Morris left HSE in mid March. 

HSE hires Kelly in mid April.

Though your points may be valid, your timeline doesn’t add up.  You’ve made your affection for Shape (and Noblesville) well know but let’s pump the brakes a bit.

4 wins max.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Once again, unless I’m mistaken, Sharpe didn’t “choose” Noblesville over HSE or Fishers.  Your timeline is off.

Wimmer retired from Fishers in early December.

Sharpe got hired at Noblesville in mid December.

Funk gets hired at Fishers (who is known to make hiring coaches a lengthy process) in mid February.

Morris left HSE in mid March. 

HSE hires Kelly in mid April.

Though your points may be valid, your timeline doesn’t add up.  You’ve made your affection for Shape (and Noblesville) well know but let’s pump the brakes a bit.

4 wins max.

Sharpe was on staff at HSE.  If he wanted that job, he would have eventually gotten it.  They were foolish to let him go.  

Edited by DT

1 minute ago, DT said:

Sharpe was on staff at HSE.  If he wanted that job, he would have eventually gotten it.  They were foolish to let him go.  

You are once again speaking hypothetically and mixing up facts and opinions.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

You are once again speaking hypothetically and mixing up facts and opinions.

Im sure Sharpe assessed the lay of the land and patiently waited for the right opportunity.  He will be able to do more of what he wants and likes to do at a place like Noblesville than he would in the meat grinder of high expectations in Hamilton County Schools.  Smart guy.  Not all that different from Laporte.  Nice school with great resources and support but somewhat off the radar.  Nuance my friend.  

Edited by DT

30 minutes ago, DT said:

*southport and Perry meridian. But I get what you are saying. I do feel HSE and Fishers are different just because of pure size of the schools and the type of district compared to those others. Give these new coaches some time. They have had success and were hired for a reason.

39 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Give it time with these coaches. They were hired for a reason And have had success. You mentioned Zionsville as well and I’m curious to see that school grow. Great school district and I feel they made a great hire last year. Won a tough 6A sectional over brownsburg. That could be a place that grows into something big as well.

5 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

*southport and Perry meridian. But I get what you are saying. I do feel HSE and Fishers are different just because of pure size of the schools and the type of district compared to those others. Give these new coaches some time. They have had success and were hired for a reason.

Southport, Perry and FC all work against each other, athletically speaking.  Throw Roncalli into the mix and you have chronic competitive irregularities within this group.  PM might be ther worst 6A job in the state.  FC has a huge wall to climb in The HCC.  Southport is still in no mans land in CI.  Clearly these schools want little to do with each other as they have scattered over the past decade.

Edited by DT

23 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Give it time with these coaches. They were hired for a reason And have had success. You mentioned Zionsville as well and I’m curious to see that school grow. Great school district and I feel they made a great hire last year. Won a tough 6A sectional over brownsburg. That could be a place that grows into something big as well.

I was speaking more in terms of why the previous coaches (along with the men's basketball coach I might add) left.  I have been pretty outspoken on here about the importance of SES and how it tends to tell more of a story than enrollment.  HSE, Fishers, CG and Zionsville all have F/R/L numbers well under 40 percent which will allow them to compete with the NC's, Warren's and BD's of the world in the future.  Those four programs (along with Avon and Brownsburg) are the future and have closed the gap (or kicked the door down completely in CG's case) in recent years and will only continue to do so.

We saw it in the regular season last year and many people (including myself) need to see it in the postseason to really get on board and believe.  Will 2020 be the year?

32 minutes ago, DT said:

Southport, Perry and FC all work against each other, athletically speaking.  Throw Roncalli into the mix and you have chronic competitive irregularities within this group.  PM might be ther worst 6A job in the state.  FC has a huge wall to climb in The HCC.  Southport is still in no mans land in CI.  Clearly these schools want little to do with each other as they have scattered over the past decade.

I’m just saying southport and Perry are the same school district like the other schools you mentioned. Franklin Central is a separate district, but yes I know what you mean. I don’t know if Perry is the worst job in 6A. Great paying district I might add. I do think they have a huge hill to climb and by them playing in the mid state it will definitely be more of a challenge come tournament time. However, I think they hired a good coach in Brett Cooper And if they can continue to get players out and start being competitive, that program can improve

9 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I was speaking more in terms of why the previous coaches (along with the men's basketball coach I might add) left.  I have been pretty outspoken on here about the importance of SES and how it tends to tell more of a story than enrollment.  HSE, Fishers, CG and Zionsville all have F/R/L numbers well under 40 percent which will allow them to compete with the NC's, Warren's and BD's of the world in the future.  Those four programs (along with Avon and Brownsburg) are the future and have closed the gap (or kicked the door down completely in CG's case) in recent years and will only continue to do so.

We saw it in the regular season last year and many people (including myself) need to see it in the postseason to really get on board and believe.  Will 2020 be the year?

That’s why I feel it is important for those schools to do well in the tournament this year while Carmel is south. I’ll throw Westfield in that mix as well. 

10 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I’m just saying southport and Perry are the same school district like the other schools you mentioned. Franklin Central is a separate district, but yes I know what you mean. I don’t know if Perry is the worst job in 6A. Great paying district I might add. I do think they have a huge hill to climb and by them playing in the mid state it will definitely be more of a challenge come tournament time. However, I think they hired a good coach in Brett Cooper And if they can continue to get players out and start being competitive, that program can improve

That’s why I feel it is important for those schools to do well in the tournament this year while Carmel is south. I’ll throw Westfield in that mix as well. 

PM might get the title of worst 6A job simply because of geography.  They are in a similar spot to Portage but have a much steeper hill to climb simply due to where there school sits.

26 minutes ago, Temptation said:

PM might get the title of worst 6A job simply because of geography.  They are in a similar spot to Portage but have a much steeper hill to climb simply due to where there school sits.

No comparison.  Portage has a strong football heritage and has been a long standing member of a blue blood conference for decades.

Perry has no football heritage, and has been dangling from CI for a decade before finally bolting, for the smaller Mid State