Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 2 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

Well, we made it through Week 1 with a minimum of issues. I look for us to start getting back to “normal” now, as teams will no longer be satisfied just to be playing.

Post issues that arise in Week 2 games here. Keep the bit*hing to a minimum and give some specificity with your observations, so they can provide the grist for our discussion mill.

Good luck to the third team on the field this weekend! MIBT!

8 answers to this question

Rules Question about the Rugby Style Punt:

If the punter rolls to his right looking to pass then punts the ball.  Can the rest of the punt team be down the field before the ball is punted?  In the Plymouth/Kokomo game this occurred and a buddy and I were watching the stream and we were arguing if that was legal or not.

9 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

If the punter rolls to his right looking to pass then punts the ball.  Can the rest of the punt team be down the field before the ball is punted?  In the Plymouth/Kokomo game this occurred and a buddy and I were watching the stream and we were arguing if that was legal or not.

There is no restriction on players of the kicking team releasing downfield prior to the punt.

When I saw the heading “Rugby Punt,” I was preparing for a question on roughing the kicker. Lot of misconceptions about how that works with the rugby punt.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

So after two weeks with no real issues, aside from one crew who were apparently really uptight, can we assume:

1. The officiating is pretty good.

2. No one is there to see the bad officiating.

3. Fans are so appreciative to see HS Football they don’t care about bad officiating.

4. All of the above. 👍

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

#2 will start to be disregarded

Due to the ticket restrictions imposed for our AWAY Varsity game, we had fewer fans there than were at our unrestricted ticket sales HOME JV game. Luckily I know a guy who gets us some primo tickets.

On 8/29/2020 at 6:53 PM, Plymouthfan91 said:

As Bobref said there are no restrictions on kicking team players go downfield. But if the lineman released like a normal punt they are likely downfield too far for the punter to legally throw a pass beyond the neutral zone. I believe most rugby punts are done to give the kicking team more time to get downfield for coverage. The punter may decide to run it, but he's likely not going to throw it unless they keep all interior linemen at the LOS.