Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

CONFERENCE INDIANA 21

Looking back  over the last three seasons i was never extremely impressed with bhsn and Lonzano their qb or their rb. Give them their due sure but they are the same guys who lost to castle at home in the sectional  and I just never thought they were as good as they are advertised.  Not a slight to them because they certainly have skills or they wouldn't be 3-1  . They may have been holding off tonight and looking towards a bigger goal winning the sectional which they may in fact do. South is underachieving i feel  like and needs to really work on getting better or i dont think they make it out of sectional, most talented team in the sectional but they  just  don't seem to me like they are as sound in the emotional mental parts of the game . Castle is real good too this year.     

Not sure why you guys picked bhsn to win this one  , mccoulough Brothers and a lot of kids who played under coach mo and now Gabe Johnson who may turn out to be another great coach.   Again not promising south wins sectional but talent wise on paper I think they should . 

Columbus north hammered  by Roncalli. 

This game kind of mirrored the IU/ Iowa game. South scored real quick and North kind of shut down, never recovered. Second half, they played even but the game essentially was over. Not sure why you don’t think Lonzano is impressive? He has an offer from Indiana State in the fold. 
Your assessment of Bloomington South has some merit, but I think it’s the coaches who are responsible for the mental approach to the game. I’m not going to assume Gabe Johnson is going to be a great coach. 
Why I picked North to win this one? Umm….. well 2 years ago at South I think north won , then last year Bloomington South was given a gift and got the game into overtime ,after they were down 20 points-and won on an error by the north team.  Not an expert here ,and it didn’t play into why I pick north,but I think all the pickems had North a slight favorite. But good call, you had something to base your pick on but In wasn’t recent history. 

9 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Give them their due sure but they are the same guys who lost to castle at home in the sectional  and I just never thought they were as good as they are advertised. 

If I’m not mistaken , I think it’s the same Castle team that kicked the hell out of Bloomington south in the sectional the week before. 28-0. 

3 hours ago, southend said:

If I’m not mistaken , I think it’s the same Castle team that kicked the hell out of Bloomington south in the sectional the week before. 28-0. 

You are correct however that bloomington south team had 7 starters held out w/covid....  that's 33% of your best players...

The year before castle also beat North at North then south went to castle the sectional title game and won by 3 or 4 tds. 

@southendyou do realize the year bhsn beat south in regular season who won the sectional that both castle south  and North play in don't you? Yep it was south same thing happened the year before with martinsville south beat them in sectional finale after losing to them  reg season.  A moriarity philosophy work out the kinks in reg season even if you lose to a rival then be best when tourney comes. 

At any rate  , I felt like the local media gushes over the north qb and rb. I heard how special they were last night during the radio broadcast . Neither  of the radio guys talked about how special dasan mccoullough was ( a former osu committ top of the world of college football recruits. )  until late in the game when mccoulloug  treated lonzano like a red headed step child  on the field he finally got some praise from the radio 📻.  Isu a offer from isu  it is what it is . Lonzano is  better than probably 75-80% of the starting qbs in the state. Which is pretty good. 

8 hours ago, southend said:

they were down 20 points-and won on an error by the north team.  

Sorry to keep on with my interpretation , but im bored .got the grass cut headed to the high end butcher on the east side to pick up a  steak then headed to hike somewhere and then grill that steak probably on the beach at monroe lake somewhere later on .  But I enjoy talking sports  . I'm of the philosophy that the best team wins every single time.  South beat North last year not because of an error because had norths defense or kicking game been better they would not have had a breakdown in the secondary or lost an on sides kick . You may say the ball bounced perfectly for the Panthers on the onside kick well then give the kicker credit or the kickoff team credit for being where they needed to be to recover. And North didn't do that ....  anyways man have a good weekend . And I would not be surprised if castle or bhsn won the sectional this year .  If coach mo was still at south i would feel more comfortable picking south to win it  but Gabe Johnson  has less than a handful of years of head coach experience so he will have to prove it before I am convinced. 

I guess I gave North a little too much credit by saying they had a slight edge at the QB and RB positions. It was just a gut feeling on my part that North would win in a close game, but my gut failed me this time around, and I'm pleased it did. Zach David had a huge game at QB for South throwing for 316 yards on 17 of 21 passing and no picks and was playing on a gimpy ankle. North's Lozano threw for 180 yards on 8  of 17 passing and one pick, with his passing numbers skewed by one pass that went for 73 yards and a TD. Che Hogue went for 158 yards on 30 carries outplaying his counterpart in Cody Michulich who went for 95 yards, but he was limited to 14 carries. Michulich rushed for 273 yards and three TDs against South last season. Hogue has now run for over 100 yards in every game this season so far after South failed to have a 100 yard rusher last season. South continues to be a team that accumulates a lot of penalties, especially major penalties which I assume is a result of aggressiveness and an occasional lack of composure which is almost always the case. The final score could have been much more of a blowout if South had scored in those three drives deep into the red zone only to come away empty, twice on downs and once on a missed FG after a major penalty . They should be a big favorite over a weak TH South next week in TH.

• Thanks 1

And they should be the favorite to win ci. I don't mean to slight bhsn I feel that bhss was the team being slighted. Bhsn is a very dangerous team as well as castle is in that southern 5a sectional.  Any of those teams that work the hardest to improve down the stretch will win that sectional. As for CI  cn will be the last threat to knock-off the Panthers and force a tie for the title.  Unless they have a total.breakdown and lose to ths  or Southport. Yet to be seen but  in my opinion the conference and at least regional title is bhss' to lose at this point in the season. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

And they should be the favorite to win ci. I don't mean to slight bhsn I feel that bhss was the team being slighted. Bhsn is a very dangerous team as well as castle is in that southern 5a sectional.  Any of those teams that work the hardest to improve down the stretch will win that sectional. As for CI  cn will be the last threat to knock-off the Panthers and force a tie for the title.  Unless they have a total.breakdown and lose to ths  or Southport. Yet to be seen but  in my opinion the conference and at least regional title is bhss' to lose at this point in the season. 

I don't know what to make of CN. They got thumped last night by a Roncalli team that is usually pretty good, so whether that is a true measure of the Bull Dogs or not as far as CI play goes, remains to be seen. They  have played just one CI team so far and that is an absolutely horrible Southport team that is getting annihilated by everyone so far. Their losses have been to two pretty good teams to include Gibson Southern in addition to Roncalli, and they have beaten crosstown rival East which is clearly down this season and the Southport team. Just how good this team is or can be is a real puzzle right now. 

@ptr I think roncalli is #1 in 3 or 4a this year .  And Gibson southern is also a highly ranked team.  CN  may possibly be similar in strength to THN. Should be interesting to see how the rest of the conference season shakes out.  Really would like to see the Panthers start to focus on improving for the playoffs. Not sure it is happening with the silly perspnaly fouls they keep getting each and every week.  Coach Johnson going to have to develop  that aspect of his coaching repertoire and get that corrected along with other aspects where you want to get better at.    Chatard is also highly rated  so south has their work cut out for them .

Well CI outcome of the week may be the columbus north cathedral matchup. I don't know the whole story but the score seems to be a lot closer than most expected. Bhss with a lackluster looking final score but doesn't always mean a whole lot

.  Don't know the whole story on that game either. But I would have thought the panther offense would generate a few more points.  Bhsn qb got hurt but back up played well lifting them to a w.        I think I may have to take back all the talk I talked on bhss . I think they may be a tad overrated.   

8 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Well CI outcome of the week may be the columbus north cathedral matchup. I don't know the whole story but the score seems to be a lot closer than most expected. Bhss with a lackluster looking final score but doesn't always mean a whole lot

.  Don't know the whole story on that game either. But I would have thought the panther offense would generate a few more points.  Bhsn qb got hurt but back up played well lifting them to a w.        I think I may have to take back all the talk I talked on bhss . I think they may be a tad overrated.   

If one looked at the box score you would think South won by much more than 20 points. South had 237 yards on the ground and 134 yards passing for 371 total yards to THS's 84 yards on the ground and 52 yards passing for 136 total yards. You have to give the Braves credit for forcing two FGs when South was in the red zone, although one of the FGs was forced after South shot themselves in the foot with a major penalty . The Panthers' defense played great in pitching the shutout. Penalties were down a little bit for the Panthers from previous games, but there are still too many of them. South was flagged for 10 penalties for 79 yards, while the Braves were flagged for 7 penalties for 50 yards. 

38 minutes ago, ptr said:

If one looked at the box score you would think South won by much more than 20 points. South had 237 yards on the ground and 134 yards passing for 371 total yards to THS's 84 yards on the ground and 52 yards passing for 136 total yards. You have to give the Braves credit for forcing two FGs when South was in the red zone, although one of the FGs was forced after South shot themselves in the foot with a major penalty . The Panthers' defense played great in pitching the shutout. Penalties were down a little bit for the Panthers from previous games, but there are still too many of them. South was flagged for 10 penalties for 79 yards, while the Braves were flagged for 7 penalties for 50 yards. 

The penalties and red zone lack of td's vs.  an 0-5 team just had me scratching my head.    The games ahead vs cn and chatard look more uncertain now. I thought this year would be a opportunity to finally play chatard and maybe get a w.  As well with cn seems like the bulldogs have gotten the better of bhss for a handful of seasons now. We're seeing Gabe Johnson also , he is not a carbon copy of coach mo.  I like him as a coach but he is replacing that Hall of famer not many will be as good. He still could I mean he is 5-0 credit where it's due.  Not sure these kids are thinking get better each week. Don't see the improvement . 

40 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

The penalties and red zone lack of td's vs.  an 0-5 team just had me scratching my head.    The games ahead vs cn and chatard look more uncertain now. I thought this year would be a opportunity to finally play chatard and maybe get a w.  As well with cn seems like the bulldogs have gotten the better of bhss for a handful of seasons now. We're seeing Gabe Johnson also , he is not a carbon copy of coach mo.  I like him as a coach but he is replacing that Hall of famer not many will be as good. He still could I mean he is 5-0 credit where it's due.  Not sure these kids are thinking get better each week. Don't see the improvement . 

FWIW, the beat writer for the TH high schools says that the Braves have improved dramatically over the last couple of games to include last night's game. They lost to crosstown rival THN by six points last week in which it looked like THN was by far the better team going into that game. So maybe we need to give the Braves some credit for being improved although that doesn't take away the fact that South should have won last night's game by a wider margin.

1 hour ago, ptr said:

FWIW, the beat writer for the TH high schools says that the Braves have improved dramatically over the last couple of games to include last night's game. They lost to crosstown rival THN by six points last week in which it looked like THN was by far the better team going into that game. So maybe we need to give the Braves some credit for being improved although that doesn't take away the fact that South should have won last night's game by a wider margin.

Sure, but as ths has improved bhss has not improved in my opinion. That's what it will take to get out of the sectional and regional. At this point the sectional is still a toss up and in fact maybe we should say it's castles until someone else proves otherwise . They are the reigning champ..... im mildly disappointed in the get better aspect we usually saw with coach mo's teams.  Again Gabe is solid  but not like mo. Panther fans were spoiled during the noriarity era's. 

22 minutes ago, MuleDriver said:

Sure, but as ths has improved bhss has not improved in my opinion. That's what it will take to get out of the sectional and regional. At this point the sectional is still a toss up and in fact maybe we should say it's castles until someone else proves otherwise . They are the reigning champ..... im mildly disappointed in the get better aspect we usually saw with coach mo's teams.  Again Gabe is solid  but not like mo. Panther fans were spoiled during the noriarity era's. 

Well, we won't find anything out with next week's opponent being a bad Southport team which got clobbered by Chatard. But with CN, which gave Cathedral a fight until the latter part of that game, and Chatard left on the schedule, those two games will say a lot about where stands nearing the sectionals. CN has had a disappointing season by their standards, but they appear to be a team that you had better be ready for. Hammond Morton is 0-4 and is sandwiched between the CN and Chatard games, and has to make the very long trip to Bloomington, so I don't expect that game to tell us much.

1 minute ago, ptr said:

Well, we won't find anything out with next week's opponent being a bad Southport team which got clobbered by Chatard. But with CN, which gave Cathedral a fight until the latter part of that game, and Chatard left on the schedule, those two games will say a lot about where stands nearing the sectionals. CN has had a disappointing season by their standards, but they appear to be a team that you had better be ready for. Hammond Morton is 0-4 and is sandwiched between the CN and Chatard games, and has to make the very long trip to Bloomington, so I don't expect that game to tell us much.

Yeah two doozies remain on our schedule and two roll over games. I wouldnt mind losing a game or two if it meant getting better. Chatard is 1-4 probably the best 1-4 team in the Midwest. Strange how indy cathedral is also playing hammond Morton and columbus north.  Two of souths opponents. Would be fun to meet cathedral for another classic semistate game like 2014 . Wonderwhy Southport fell off so bad coaching change? 

1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

Wonder why Southport fell off so bad coaching change? 

Wondering the same.  The 2018 and 2019 squads were pretty solid (especially '18) but last year's 2020 team under the same coach as 2018-19 dropped off significantly.  Even more so this year with new coaching.  Honestly, but for one flukish play and a called back touchdown or so, the final score should have been 69-10. 

That said, Southport did play fairly well in the first Quarter last night.  

23 hours ago, MuleDriver said:

Yeah two doozies remain on our schedule and two roll over games. I wouldnt mind losing a game or two if it meant getting better. Chatard is 1-4 probably the best 1-4 team in the Midwest. Strange how indy cathedral is also playing hammond Morton and columbus north.  Two of souths opponents. Would be fun to meet cathedral for another classic semistate game like 2014 . Wonderwhy Southport fell off so bad coaching change? 

FWIW, I saw a post under the Cathedral at Columbus North thread a little while ago where they said the JV game wasn't played this weekend and it was speculated that it might have been caused by the fact that CN's roster numbers are at about 55 players. I don't know if that's the case and if those numbers are accurate, but it would be surprising that the Bull Dogs would have so few players this season, since they usually have a big roster.

Southport only had 32 on their varsity roster when they played their opener against Roncalli.  Demographic changes and open enrollment are killing Southport football.  The school has a huge number of Burmese students who do not play football.  SHS also lost a large number of players to Perry Meridian and Franklin Central when the coach resigned.  It must be really bad if your coach leaves his 6A alma mater for Beech Grove!

CN had pretty weak JV and freshman squads, they were both were beaten badly by Roncalli.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 8:53 PM, FCGriz said:

Southport only had 32 on their varsity roster when they played their opener against Roncalli.  Demographic changes and open enrollment are killing Southport football.  The school has a huge number of Burmese students who do not play football.  SHS also lost a large number of players to Perry Meridian and Franklin Central when the coach resigned.  It must be really bad if your coach leaves his 6A alma mater for Beech Grove!

CN had pretty weak JV and freshman squads, they were both were beaten badly by Roncalli.

I remember a couple handful of years ago someone on the Gid said perry had the large amount of foreign students.  Why is there such a large portion of those students in that area? 

45 minutes ago, southend said:

So what can be done for Southport? Man what a mess. Shut the sport down? Coach Bettag is young and full of energy. I hope his work there gets some results. 

They had back-to-back  winning seasons during the 2018 and 2019 seasons, so I don't know what happened. They have the new coach so I don't know how that affected the program. They beat South badly last season, 40-14, which was a two-win season for them, and I can't remember how that game transpired to make it so lopsided. but South was hit hard last season by the Covid situation (mostly contact tracing) and a huge number of injuries.

Edited by ptr