Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Favorite Tournament Moments

I guess I could also take a shot at answering OP's question while I'm here: for me, it was Z-ville-Roncalli  sectional champ 1993; wasn't cold, no major injuries kept any P1 players out, nothing like that.  The Rebels came in dominating; something like 36-6 was their average margin, so they were doing it on both sides of the ball.  Mike Bohn was the nation's leading rusher and he was only playing ~60-75% of most games.  Things were so one-sided for that Roncalli team, they had never even been trailing in a game, routinely going up 21 points before the other team could muster a score.  And, as noted, that frequently was the last score the Rebel opponent achieved.  The Star was littered with comments like "Zionsville doesn't play our schedule" and "they're not used to 'inner-city speed'" (whatever that is), so another blowout was clearly in the making.  

Well, Zionsville scored first on the opening possession.  Then Roncalli scored to tie it on their first chance with the ball.  Then Zionsville scored again, going up 14-7.  This was a little unusual, at least based on how Dave Calabro & Scott Soren (? - the one from ABC-6 affiliate) expected it to go.  Unusual enough 13 flew the helicopter back to Zionsville to catch the end of the game, which turned out to be a clean, well-fought contest... that ended regulation tied at 21.  (Whichever 13 producer green-lit sending the chopper back that night... good call.  👏)

OT1 ended with both teams scoring, so OT2 started 28-28.  The Eagles went first, were unsuccessful on 4th down (what's the point in kicking 3 against that line + that back?) and Roncalli pushed in one of their 12-man 28 sweeps (they only had 11 on the field; it just always seemed like they had a +1 on those power plays - ugh), winning 34-28 in a thrilling double OT.  Roncalli proceeded to resume their season-long demonstration the following 2 weeks by blowouts and then tidied up business with a close game @ the Dome.  (This last game is the only one I've found to watch & if memory serves, Roncalli were off their game somehow... I don't think the state opponent was any stronger than previous schools... rather, it was an issue of Roncalli getting in their own way vs. what had worked the previous 13 weeks; just my 2c & I haven't revisited that state game for several years, so I'm pleased for a correction if anyone feels I'm wrong).  

Notwithstanding the close final game, I always thought the 3A state championship game was played in Boone County that year.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Penn played Portage in the regional in '95. The game got stormed out on Friday and rescheduled for Saturday. Woke up to what seemed like a half foot of snow on the ground. I was young enough then for these details to be fuzzy, so if anyone has a better recollection I'd be interested in hearing it. What about the other regionals in the north that year? I know that Bremen and Jimtown played, and St. Joe had a home game that night too. Anyone out there remember this?

Edited by PDB26

16 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

Penn played Portage in the regional in '95. The game got stormed out on Friday and rescheduled for Saturday. Woke up to what seemed like a half foot of snow on the ground. I was young enough then for these details to be fuzzy, so if anyone has a better recollection I'd be interested in hearing it. What about the other regionals in the north that year? I know that Bremen and Jimtown played, and St. Joe had a home game that night too. Anyone out there remember this?

Bremen beat Jimtown that night. Last time we ever beat them in the tournament.

My favorite memory was the year before when we beat Jimtown in the regional in a mudfest.  Jimtown was the favorite after winning in the regular season that year.