Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Post Season Interview with Cathedral's Bill Peebles at Hoosier Highschool Football

Question 7
We have unfortunately seen many game cancellations over the past few seasons, some related to Covid and many others due to low roster numbers. Small rosters create major problems for coaches and ADs as they negatively impact the ability to conduct a full practice, put student athletes into compromising positions relative to the potential for significant injury, and contribute to a very non competitive environment where schools might be playing each other with huge roster disparities. Would you support an IHSAA mandated Minimum Participation Standard, where the IHSAA sets minimum acceptable roster numbers by class. If a school cannot meet the MPS, it must sit out varsity play for two seasons and either drop its program or rebuild its numbers.

Response
I would never support this.

I would have paid money to see the reaction on Coach's face when asked this question. 
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, Footballking16 said:
Question 7
We have unfortunately seen many game cancellations over the past few seasons, some related to Covid and many others due to low roster numbers. Small rosters create major problems for coaches and ADs as they negatively impact the ability to conduct a full practice, put student athletes into compromising positions relative to the potential for significant injury, and contribute to a very non competitive environment where schools might be playing each other with huge roster disparities. Would you support an IHSAA mandated Minimum Participation Standard, where the IHSAA sets minimum acceptable roster numbers by class. If a school cannot meet the MPS, it must sit out varsity play for two seasons and either drop its program or rebuild its numbers.

Response

I would have paid money to see the reaction on Coach's face when asked this question. 

That makes two of us.  I’ve never in my life known someone who pushes so much for schools to drop programs, leaving kids without an extra curricular activity.  Drop football at a place such as Attucks or Shortridge and you put youth out of the school and on to the streets.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, Footballking16 said:
Question 7

Response

Best part of reading the Head Coaches answers are how they totally disagree with notions being pushed (or shall I say darts being thrown blindfolded) by the one asking the questions. Over the years I have had great conversations with many of the coaches (current and past retired). They echo the same sentiments that these coaches do.

Great Darts gifs on PandaGif | Best Darts gifs

8 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Best part of reading the Head Coaches answers are how they totally disagree with notions being pushed (or shall I say darts being thrown blindfolded) by the one asking the questions. Over the years I have had great conversations with many of the coaches (current and past retired). They echo the same sentiments that these coaches do.

Great Darts gifs on PandaGif | Best Darts gifs

Coach Skinner went more in depth with his response.  Im not at all surprised by Coach Peebles response.  He has more seniors on his roster than many schools have all grades 9-12 in the football program.  This is an issue that Cathedral will never be confronted with.  But at least he responded which is greatly appreciated

13 hours ago, HHF said:

Coach Skinner went more in depth with his response.  Im not at all surprised by Coach Peebles response.  He has more seniors on his roster than many schools have all grades 9-12 in the football program.  This is an issue that Cathedral will never be confronted with.  But at least he responded which is greatly appreciated

Coach Peebles also coached at Southport and Lawrence Central. I believe he also responded with having 40 seniors at Cathedral is not the normal (in other words he was being honest he had a large SR class). Regardless it all remained the same, read Coach Lidy's too and while you down play Coach Peebles response you got similar responses for others. Coach Skinner did go more in depth and didn't just spout your typical BS. Curious to see what you get from Coach Pasch, Coach Hart, Coach Moore. I don't think you would get much difference in an answer. Probably wouldn't get much different from the State Runner-up Coaches. 

Keep on chugging though Thomas the Tank Engine. Sorry Coaches don't and likely won't agree with some of your notions now matter how hard you try to spin it.

• Disdain 1

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Coach Peebles also coached at Southport and Lawrence Central. I believe he also responded with having 40 seniors at Cathedral is not the normal (in other words he was being honest he had a large SR class). Regardless it all remained the same, read Coach Lidy's too and while you down play Coach Peebles response you got similar responses for others. Coach Skinner did go more in depth and didn't just spout your typical BS. Curious to see what you get from Coach Pasch, Coach Hart, Coach Moore. I don't think you would get much difference in an answer. Probably wouldn't get much different from the State Runner-up Coaches. 

Keep on chugging though Thomas the Tank Engine. Sorry Coaches don't and likely won't agree with some of your notions now matter how hard you try to spin it.

I disagree,  I think you will find a different attitude and a different type of response down in Class 1,2 and 3 where they actually experience this situation of massive roster variance    You generally see more and bigger blowouts at the lower levels, thats pretty well documented.  Coaches dont want to speak out because its an extreme hot button issue.  But I like to ask the question anyway.  Dave Pasch does not respond to questioning, Eric Moore has bigger issues on his mind currently and Nick Hart , who has been a great friend to The HHF, chose not to respond.

I thought the story and the response out of Crawford County were compelling.  The list of serious injuries was frightening.  I wonder what the cost of insurance and hospitalization and recovery expense and lost time at work and school were relative to the $10,000 in annual football related revenue .  

Edited by HHF

51 minutes ago, HHF said:

I disagree,  I think you will find a different attitude and a different type of response down in Class 1,2 and 3 where they actually experience this situation of massive roster variance    You generally see more and bigger blowouts at the lower levels, thats pretty well documented.  Coaches dont want to speak out because its an extreme hot button issue.  But I like to ask the question anyway.  Dave Pasch does not respond to questioning, Eric Moore has bigger issues on his mind currently and Nick Hart , who has been a great friend to The HHF, chose not to respond.

I thought the story and the response out of Crawford County were compelling.  The list of serious injuries was frightening.  I wonder what the cost of insurance and hospitalization and recovery expense and lost time at work and school were relative to the $10,000 in annual football related revenue .  

Good points