Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1980 Heritage Hills football 40th anniversary

This season will be the 40th anniversary of 1 one of the most dominating defensive teams in PAC history,

The 1980 10-0 Heritage Hills football team.

On my website I have the offensive and defensive averages of every team listed but  1980 is the one

Team I don’t need to look up for the averages because the numbers 352-29 are etched in my memory

Forever, 352 points scored, 29 points given up, I doubt a 2.9 defensive average will ever be duplicated .

The final game that season was at home against Tecumseh both teams came in with perfect 9-0 records

So it was for the PAC and the Patriots won 21-6 and captured their 3rd PAC title. Walking to the car after

The game we passed a few Tecumseh fans upset about the loss and one said “ Are you going to the playoffs”

Knowing we wouldn’t .

The following day the courier article had a interview with Tell City Coach Bud George one of the all-time

Greats and asked his opinion on Heritage Hills going 10-0 and missing playoffs and his reply was something

Along the lines of “ I don’t feel a bit sorry for them, When we formed the Big Eight we invited both Heritage

Hills and South Spencer to join but both declined, They had their chance to run with the Big dogs”

That team was ranked 2nd in the final 2A poll behind eventual state champion Franklin Central and

Finished 10-0 but missed the playoffs because the PAC had too many 1A teams and Patriots didn’t earn

Enough  Points To qualify.

The team was loaded and led by Chris Sigler and Bruce King, I went to the All-star game that season to watch

Both play it was at Indiana University and King scored the winning touchdown  and was selected as MVP.

Purdue had recruited him as a linebacker but after the all-star performance they changed him to fullback.

That change likely aided him getting to the NFL where he played 3 seasons with Kansas City  and Buffalo and

Started his first game.

Sigler went to Indiana University where he played both Football and Baseball then played a few years in the

CFL for the Ottawa Rough Riders if you look at Ottawa all-time records Sigler is still

listed with Most Interceptions in a Game he did it with 4 versus the Montreal Alouettes on June 27,1986.

BTW: 2019 is also the 20th anniversary of the other Heritage Hills football team to finish a season without

a loss the 2000 15-0 State Champs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Incredible. This would be a good story to post next time someone complains about our current playoff system. 

Not if you’ve actually been paying attention to the playoff qualification debate.

22 hours ago, Alduflux said:

Would HH have qualified if they played in the Big 8?  Did they decline a Big 8 invite?

According to Bud George we declined, I have no clue.

Would have had better chance in Big Eight. In 1979 we went 9-1 and could have made it with win over Jasper but loss in week 10 eliminated us.

In 1980 we dropped Jasper and didn't have enough points.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:26 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Very cool story.

but...don’t think Gibson Southern is going to give ya a break when it comes to repeating this every 20 year pattern 😉😉😉

Actually I messed up anyway counted 1980 in the 40 years the anaversery woukd actually be 2020.

• Like 1