Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How Should Playoff Officiating Assignments Be Made?

Bobref

How Should Officiating Playoff Assignments Be Made?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the method you think is best.

• The current system, including the coaches’ vote, works just fine.
    • Assignments completely discretionary with the IHSAA.
    • Assignments on the basis of ratings compiled by trained evaluators using standardized ratings criteria.
    • Local officials’ associations assign the Sectionals, with the IHSAA making upper level assignments at its discretion.
    • Use ping pong balls. After all, it’s good enough for the tourney draw.

Question

6 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I do think one thing that remains is to have coaches and AD's check for conflicts of interest....if they know an official, or if they know an opponet's coach or assistant coaches know of a possible concern. 

On the playoff application, each official is asked to list any schools to which he should not be assigned, and why.

How would you feel about coaches having a “scratch list” for the tournament? For example: “List 3 crews you do not want to see in the playoffs.”

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

On the playoff application, each official is asked to list any schools to which he should not be assigned, and why.

How would you feel about coaches having a “scratch list” for the tournament? For example: “List 3 crews you do not want to see in the playoffs.”

I know coaches have that now, but also knwi it has not always been followed. If a coach has to justify why, then I can see it, but the justification would have to be significant. Giving them that leverage without requiring an explanation is unfair. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I do think one thing that remains is to have coaches and AD's check for conflicts of interest....if they know an official, or if they know an opponet's coach or assistant coaches know of a possible concern. 

Coaches/AD’s have the ability to scratch officials. Officials have the ability to scratch schools. I think a phone call to Robert will solve most any conflict. Us and another crew swapped first round games this season for a perceived conflict. 

• Like 1