Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Assessment of penalties

JQWL

Question

Currently watching a game. Not going to say where. They have assessed every single penalty from the previous line of scrimmage. Not from the spot of the foul, on fouls that have typically been called spot fouls in the past. Has something changed that I'm not aware of.

13 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Currently watching a game. Not going to say where. They have assessed every single penalty from the previous line of scrimmage. Not from the spot of the foul, on fouls that have typically been called spot fouls in the past. Has something changed that I'm not aware of.

Where did the FOUL(s) occur?  And YES there has been a change in the assessment of offensive penalties beginning THIS season.

If an offensive foul occurs in or behind the previous spot.... the penalty is assessed from the previous spot, NOT at the spot of the foul.  This does NOT include intentional grounding though.  That is still a 5 yard spot foul with a loss of down.  

I am sure that Bob will expound upon this...  But this a quick response late night.  

11 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I knew the behind or on the previous spot rule for this year. These all occurred past the line of scrimmage. One time 30 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Then that MAY have been assesed incorrectly.  If you have video... please share.

Sounds like spot foul assessments....or perhaps end of run/kick.

I can't say much more without more information to make an accurate account of what was done.

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

This chart explains the enforcement spot under the newly-amended NFHS Rule 10.

NFHS new Penalty Enforcement Chart 2023 .png

Two issues with this chart. It only applies for plays with no loss of player possession (even if recovered by A). Thus the "Succeeding Spot" references create a lot of confusion if the runner fumbles. Then the basic spot would be the end of the related run. For a regular running play with no loss of possession the end of the run and the succeeding spot are likely the same spot.

The rules editor really made this much more complicated than it needed to be. The only real change is that for most fouls by the offense that occurred behind the LOS (exception for things like illegal forward pass, intentional grounding, illegal kick or bat) or any foul that occurs during a running play that ends behind the LOS, the enforcement spot is the previous spot. So holds by the offense behind the LOS and defensive holding or facemask on a running play where the run ends behind the LOS. Anything else is the same as last year.

On 8/26/2023 at 1:28 AM, Yuccaguy said:

Then that MAY have been assesed incorrectly.  If you have video... please share.

Sounds like spot foul assessments....or perhaps end of run/kick.

I can't say much more without more information to make an accurate account of what was done.

I really tried to download the video so I could share it but after I made my playlist, I never had an option to download. It doesn't really matter at this point. I really hope someone talks to that crew before Friday though because I don't think they are doing anything intentionally incorrect. They just don't know they are doing it wrong every single time. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2023 at 12:31 PM, JQWL said:

I really tried to download the video so I could share it but after I made my playlist, I never had an option to download. It doesn't really matter at this point. I really hope someone talks to that crew before Friday though because I don't think they are doing anything intentionally incorrect. They just don't know they are doing it wrong every single time. 

Most JV and below games aren’t done by a Varsity crew.   Unless something has changed.   

3 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

Most JV and below games aren’t done by a Varsity crew.   Unless something has changed.   

Or you have younger guys learning new positions, etc. 

On 8/28/2023 at 1:31 PM, JQWL said:

You may be surprised at what shows up on any given Friday night. Given the current state of affairs with regards to the official shortage. Throw together crews are starting to become the norm.