Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Fair Catch Kick

As I watched the Triton / LaVille game Friday night, I saw something I had never seen in a high school game.  LaVille attempted a "Fair Catch Kick" as time expired in the second quarter.  Triton punted from deep in their own territory and the LaVille returner executed a fair catch at around the 50 yard line with 6 seconds left.  LaVille informed the officials they wanted to attempt a free kick and lined up in kickoff formation where the ball was spotted on the field.  The Triton defenders were placed 10 yards from the line of scrimmage and the LaVille kicker was given a chance to kick a free kick in an attempt to make a field goal.  He was allowed to place the ball on a kickoff tee.  The kick fell well short, but I suppose it was worth a try!  Triton did have a return man deep, but the ball crossed the goal line, so I assume he was unable to return it by rule.  Follow the link for Wikipedia's explanation of a fair catch kick.  Interesting play!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick

• Like 1