Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp’s Big Ten Rankings (Week 1)

temptation

Disappointed in Harrell's inability to use Mockabee in the pass game and zero screen action to help his very poor offensive line.  Fresno was a very capable team, bowl team, great offensive minded HC and they just did things too stubborn.  For instance, when Mock couldn't push a pile in 1st half at goal line so they went Tracy and boom, pushed it in, you'd think you'd learn that lesson and not see that 4th quarter debacle at the goal line.   

Be very pleased if PU can sneak into a bowl game in year 1 of this regime.  

1 minute ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Disappointed in Harrell's inability to use Mockabee in the pass game and zero screen action to help his very poor offensive line.  Fresno was a very capable team, bowl team, great offensive minded HC and they just did things too stubborn.  For instance, when Mock couldn't push a pile in 1st half at goal line so they went Tracy and boom, pushed it in, you'd think you'd learn that lesson and not see that 4th quarter debacle at the goal line.   

Be very pleased if PU can sneak into a bowl game in year 1 of this regime.  

What are your thoughts on rolling Card out on that play? Trying to run up middle again was atrocious. Pretty lacklaster performance by Harrell and the D, IMO. Agreed about Tedford. I had a feeling he would have a field day on the Purdue D. Credit to their QB for the throws he was making. He put on a great performance.

@temptation Can't really disagree with your rankings after Week 1. Thought Illinois might be too high. It took a 4th down miracle play from their QB and WR for them to escape Toledo. 

18 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

What are your thoughts on rolling Card out on that play? Trying to run up middle again was atrocious. Pretty lacklaster performance by Harrell and the D, IMO. Agreed about Tedford. I had a feeling he would have a field day on the Purdue D. Credit to their QB for the throws he was making. He put on a great performance.

@temptation Can't really disagree with your rankings after Week 1. Thought Illinois might be too high. It took a 4th down miracle play from their QB and WR for them to escape Toledo. 

Yeah, Toledo is a damn fine football team though.  I think they are the MAC favorite.

5 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I think they need to continue to get Card on the move, always good to help a developing OL to move the pocket and help your QB in that regard.   

Running up the middle with MOCK was the atrocious part, really think TRACY gets that ball in.  Or even a quick JET to Sheffield or Burks to catch the corner.   

Defense just got worked in man coverage over and over again, QB bought time and him and that Slot WR had a field day sadly.   Live and Learn I hope 

No doubt though that was a BOWL team and team that won their division last year, so not as bad of loss as that Eastern Michigan rain game under Brohm IMO 

15 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I think they need to continue to get Card on the move, always good to help a developing OL to move the pocket and help your QB in that regard.   

Running up the middle with MOCK was the atrocious part, really think TRACY gets that ball in.  Or even a quick JET to Sheffield or Burks to catch the corner.   

Defense just got worked in man coverage over and over again, QB bought time and him and that Slot WR had a field day sadly.   Live and Learn I hope 

No doubt though that was a BOWL team and team that won their division last year, so not as bad of loss as that Eastern Michigan rain game under Brohm IMO 

Give Tedford credit. He is a qb whisperer. Found what Purdue could not defend and dug in the dagger. And Harrell looked like the young apprentice of offense in comparison being schooled by an old pro.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ragdoll said:

Give Tedford credit. He is a qb whisperer. Found what Purdue could not defend and dug in the dagger. And Harrell looked like the young apprentice of offense in comparison being schooled by an old pro.

We'll see how long Walters sticks with Harrell. This is his 3rd OC gig in as many years and can tell you SC and WVU fans weren't sad to see him go. If Purdue's inability to get off the field Saturday was any indication of how the rest of this season is going to play out, Harrell better be sustaining drives and putting up the points. Always though Walters would have preferred a more ground and pound offense given the type of defense he likes to run. 

On 9/5/2023 at 3:41 PM, temptation said:

Yeah, Toledo is a damn fine football team though.  I think they are the MAC favorite.

Good call. I think that really good Safety from New Pal is starting for them.

23 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

We'll see how long Walters sticks with Harrell. This is his 3rd OC gig in as many years and can tell you SC and WVU fans weren't sad to see him go. If Purdue's inability to get off the field Saturday was any indication of how the rest of this season is going to play out, Harrell better be sustaining drives and putting up the points. Always though Walters would have preferred a more ground and pound offense given the type of defense he likes to run. 

I know nothing about Walters outside of he's young and was considered an up and coming defensive mind while at Illinois. What type of D does he prefer to run?

On 9/5/2023 at 9:04 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

Good call on Tracy. Sometimes it's just the simple things. Go back to what worked as opposed to what got stuffed at the LOS. Tiller lost his first game to Toledo and followed it up with a W against Notre Dame the following week. Let's hope for the same; however, I'm not very positive about this team coming out of Blacksburg with a W. 

Edited by Boilernation