Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  47 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

2024 Dead Pool

Muda69

https://deadline.com/2024/02/carl-weathers-dead-1235812684/

Carl Weathers, who starred as Apollo Creed in the first four Rocky films and appeared in Predator, The Mandalorian, Happy Gilmore, Action Jackson and dozens of other films and TV shows, died Tuesday, his family announced. He was 76.

“We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Carl Weathers,” his family said in a statement. “He died peacefully in his sleep on Thursday, February 1st, 2024. … Carl was an exceptional human being who lived an extraordinary life. Through his contributions to film, television, the arts and sports, he has left an indelible mark and is recognized worldwide and across generations. He was a beloved brother, father, grandfather, partner, and friend.”

A sad day.  Mr. Weathers was truly an American Icon.  He will be missed.

Founder of Pizza King dies, leaving behind an Indiana legacy

https://www.jconline.com/story/news/local/2024/02/03/wendell-swartz-founder-of-pizza-king-dies-leaving-behind-an-indiana-legacy/72454120007/?fbclid=IwAR0-TDr2klsB_hzlbR0WqUNLtLmF47XkUqTI6ZkaHYrGoo_eFSm0VBoLeAU_aem_AaHhPM7RTM0kQFtOi9_3PJ4a_9WzHdCyU8gND4e0X2jbzGDhC51mnsRVcTYK-sllk-w#ls6k9wuboht0k3lsge

LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Wendell Swartz, founder of Pizza King and creator of an Indiana tradition, died on Jan. 24 "after a long and colorful life of nearly 99 years," according to his obituary.

Born on May 26,1925, Swartz was a World War II veteran, trained as a tail gunner on a B-24 bomber in the Central Europe theater, flying more than 30 missions, his obituary described. He was honorably discharged in October 1945, receiving 4 Bronze Stars.

Before founding the Indiana legacy to be known as "Pizza King," Swartz earned a degree from Purdue University in 1952 and was a soloist for the Purdue Glee Club, according to his obituary. His love for music led Swartz to forming his own traveling dance band, singing on daytime TV, his obituary said, with a winning appearance on the Arthur Godfrey Talent Scouts.

Upon returning to the Lafayette area, Swartz and his wife, Barbara, opened the first Pizza King restaurant in 1956 on South Street near the Mar Jean Village, which no longer stands. The success of Swartz's first store led to the founding of Pizza King of Indiana, Inc., with the family's second store opening in Muncie just sixth months later.

"Timing was good and the product even better," Swartz's obituary said of his decision to sell the pizza making business in 1966. In the company's sale to bookkeeper, Don Schutz, the company's stores were divvied up between the two businessmen and their families, leading to the two Indiana Pizza King companies and logos Hoosiers are familiar with today.

Moving his family to Key Biscayne, Florida, after the sale of his Indiana Pizza Kings, Swartz decided to come out of semiretirement, his obituary said, when he decided to open a Pizza King in the sunshine state, which he would later rename "Sir Pizza" in 1969. According to his obituary, Sir Pizza became and is today an "institution" on Key Biscayne, like Swartz created in Indiana, still operating after 55 years, now under the ownership of Swartz's son, Barry.

Swartz will be laid to rest next to his wife, Barbara, in the Mariner Sands Memorial Garden in Stuart, Florida, according to his obituary.

Truly an Indiana Icon.  Many of my relatives who do not live in Indiana love to have a Pizza King pizza when they come and visit.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Pizza King is truly a Hoosier iconic brand. One must be careful which Pizza King you frequent. It will either be the best pizza you ever ate, or the worst. Depends on which commissary they use. Cagney’s in Shelbyville may be the best Pizza King in the state. 

Only one I can ever recall visiting is the one in Rensselaer. I think @Coach Nowlin will back me up when I say it’s not fine dining.

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

Only one I can ever recall visiting is the one in Rensselaer. I think @Coach Nowlin will back me up when I say it’s not fine dining.

It’s an interesting and as I stated it’s either the best pizza or the worst you ever ate. I got one in Knightstown one time and could get two pieces choked down. Rumor has it it’s dependent upon which brother’s line your franchise came from. Plainfield still had the train in there last time I was in there. I ate at another one that had a train as well, but I can’t remember where. 
Some have been around long enough to remember the GID Publicity Tour back in 05, the Seymour stop was at Pizza Palace, which at that time was no longer using Pizza King products, but makes a similar style pie. TA was there, Paul Condry, they were selling copies of the GID.  

Toby Keith won't be down for breakfast......

https://apnews.com/article/toby-keith-country-singer-dies-6c01efcdb59f4481f5290d6334f107e6

Toby Keith, a hit country crafter of pro-American anthems who both riled up critics and was loved by millions of fans, has died. He was 62.

The “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” singer-songwriter, who had stomach cancer, died peacefully Monday surrounded by his family, according to a statement posted on the country singer’s website. “He fought his fight with grace and courage,” the statement said. He announced his cancer diagnosis in 2022.

• Sad 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:10 PM, Bobref said:

new owners have taken it on and have brought it back to its established glory!!   Texas BBQ, add pepperoni  add bannana peppers!!!!!  

The one in Remington I believe has a lunch buffet..  game changer 

Also:  Sad on Toby Keith, I have gotten to be buddies with a horse player (gambler, like myself) who is good friends with TK, crushed.  

23 hours ago, swordfish said:

Toby Keith won't be down for breakfast......

https://apnews.com/article/toby-keith-country-singer-dies-6c01efcdb59f4481f5290d6334f107e6

Toby Keith, a hit country crafter of pro-American anthems who both riled up critics and was loved by millions of fans, has died. He was 62.

The “Should’ve Been a Cowboy” singer-songwriter, who had stomach cancer, died peacefully Monday surrounded by his family, according to a statement posted on the country singer’s website. “He fought his fight with grace and courage,” the statement said. He announced his cancer diagnosis in 2022.

Anybody else suddenly tired of seeing pics all over of a "Red Solo Cup"?  SMH.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.avclub.com/richard-lewis-star-of-curb-your-enthusian-dies-at-76-1851294954

Richard Lewis, the surly staple of the American stand-up comedian scene and an actor known for his 20-year-long role as Larry David’s best friend on Curb Your Enthusiasm, died of a heart attack last night at his home in Los Angeles, his publicist Jeff Abraham confirmed to Deadline. He was 76 years old.

Lewis’ declining health had long been a concern. In April 2023, Lewis shared his diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease, a condition he had been living with for years before he shared the news. He also shared that he was retiring from performing standup at the same time.

Truly an American Comedy great.  He will be missed.

• 2 weeks later...

The original "All By Myself" artist........

https://www.wndu.com/2024/03/12/eric-carmen-raspberries-frontman-all-by-myself-singer-dies-74/?fbclid=IwAR3GuuDLq99WTTjn5hxka9qnIWlRjjaksJBhZ9fuE9UEFrXG33J-KOnDByE

(Gray News) - Eric Carmen, frontman for the pop rock band the Raspberries, has died at 74, his family announced.

Carmen’s wife Amy confirmed the news with a statement on the singer’s official website.

“It is with tremendous sadness that we share the heartbreaking news of the passing of Eric Carmen. Our sweet, loving and talented Eric passed away in his sleep, over the weekend. It brought him great joy to know, that for decades, his music touched so many and will be his lasting legacy. Please respect the family’s privacy as we mourn our enormous loss. ‘Love Is All That Matters...Faithful and Forever.’”

Carmen’s cause of death has not been released.

Carmen was born and raised in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland and gained fame as the frontman of the Raspberries and as a solo artist in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

“All by Myself”, a single from his debut album, reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 and sold more than 1 million copies before it was certified gold by the The Recording Industry Association of America.

“Hungry Eyes,” which was featured on the “Dirty Dancing” soundtrack, peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100.