Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The best college baseball program in Indiana?

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/2024/05/30/indiana-state-baseball-midwest-power-ncaa-regionals-lexington-2024-luke-hayden-luis-hernandez/73862918007/

The landscape of college sports has changed drastically since 2014. While college football and basketball have perhaps been most prominently affected by the widely controversial transfer portal, baseball is no exception.

However, Indiana State baseball has persevered. In fact, despite not being in a Power 5 conference, the Sycamores have become a powerhouse of their own.

Indiana State has made the NCAA tournament four times since the portal's creation in October 2018. Last season, the Sycamores advanced beyond regional for first time since 1986, and their 45 wins were the most for the program since that same year.

Mitch Hannahs was in the blue and white for both historic runs.

He was a senior on the 1989 squad, helping Indiana State make the NCAA tournament in three of his four seasons. As a coach, Hannahs has guided the Sycamores to four NCAA regional bids, including three in the past five seasons. ISU finished the season with an RPI at No. 10 but was not chosen as a regional host. They Sycamores will head to Lexington, Ky., where they open NCAA play against Illinois on Friday.

They seems like the best to me.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I would agree...they went 1-1 against IU, but have a better record, higher ranking and seeded higher in the NCAA tournament.  The beat Purdue.  They went 2-2 against Evansville, but also have a better record, higher ranking, and better seed in the NCAA tournament.  Great to see Indiana State, IU and Evansville all representing in the NCAA baseball tournament.  

26 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Pretty wild that Evansville went down south and took the East Carolina Regional. Next up is Tennessee in Knoxville for the Super-Regional. 

They beat East Carolina twice too. They won today after losing to them last night. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Irishman said:

They beat East Carolina twice too. They won today after losing to them last night. 

I figured they got East Carolina's attention after beating them in the opener. The Pirates worked their way through the losers bracket and then pummeled Evansville last night. That's impressive of Evansville to bounce back and take the winner take all rematch today. That's not an easy atmosphere to go on the road and win in.  

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Pretty wild that Evansville went down south and took the East Carolina Regional. Next up is Tennessee in Knoxville for the Super-Regional. 

Awesome for the Purple Aces.  I believe ESPN stated it was the first time a #4 seed won a regional.  Does that sound correct?

On 6/4/2024 at 12:27 PM, Bash Riprock said:

Awesome for the Purple Aces.  I believe ESPN stated it was the first time a #4 seed won a regional.  Does that sound correct?

I think it was the 4th time. Not sure. 

On 6/4/2024 at 12:45 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

Bat and ball sports, if you win a championship, the ball bounced your way a time or two, congrats to UE. Good luck in Knoxville. 

Once again they bounce back get a must needed W. Today didn't go there way, but they could have just played the National Champion in Knoxville, 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boilernation said:

but they could have just played the National Champion in Knoxville, 

God I hope not. It was bad enough having to hear THAT song after every run they scored; not just in this series with Evansville, but also with IU. 

• Haha 2