Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

They Called it Shop Class

gonzoron

I hope so.  Of course when I was in high school I was able to make an honest-to-goodness working crossbow in an advanced shop class.  Had to get my parent's permission,  but we got a kit containing all the metal bits like the limbs,  strings, trigger mechanism, etc.  Also came with 6-8 crossbow bolts that I promptly lost firing my newly made crossbow at a target adjacent to the corn field behind my parent's house...................

Clinton County has had a Building Trades class, open to students at all four county high schools, for a while now.  They completed a new house in Frankfort in 2018, and have recently started construction on another on the north side of town:  https://clintoncountydailynews.com/building-trades-class-hosts-open-house-in-frankfort/

Just now, gonzoron said:

Do you still have it? I built a dog house, it's long gone. 

Yes, I do.  

• Like 1

My stepson had to drive to J. Everett Light Career Center everyday his Senior year last year. He was taking Auto Body and a mechanic course. Then worked about 60 hours a week this summer at a Big O Tires store. He's attending Ferris State now trying to get an Automotive Engineering degree.

The company I work for is having a difficult time trying to find mechanically inclined new hires. There is a huge demand for those workers in today's job market.

Bartholomew County Schools has an awesome program for not only industrial arts, but multiple pathways. You can actually graduate with associate degrees. 

http://www.bcsc.k12.in.us/domain/1455

My brother's brother in law teaches the building trades class. Aside from houses, they have built multiple school facilities. Press boxes, concession stands/bath rooms at sports venues, students not only get a glimpse of building houses, but they also get hands on in the commercial world. There are nursing programs, cosmetology programs, it's a tremendous program. 

In my three years of "wood shop" in high school, I literally did not produce a single project. I did however do projects for the teacher, I roofed the dugouts on the baseball diamond, painted the windows for the building trades house, one included building the Dean's son's Pinewood Derby car. Not sure the Dean understood the point of Pinewood Derby, but whatever. 

My senior year I was in building trades and participate in building a house. I had Mr Thomas all four years, one of the best teachers I ever had.