Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How Many Teachers Do We Have Here?

Basementbias

I know we should have quite a few with the coaches on the board. My question is should I go back to school to become a teacher? I'm thinking either an elementary or middle school teaching position. I will turn 29 later this year with a busy family and have an Associate's Degree in Agribusiness Management that I've never really used. During the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school, I was talked out of teaching by a neighbor. I've never really knew what I wanted to be growing up as a kid, and guess you could say that up to this point that still holds true. My personality type is the INFJ that lists teaching as a good career field for my personality. I've looked into WGU a small amount, but have not pulled the trigger on anything. Does anyone have any insight or advice they can offer?

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

I know we should have quite a few with the coaches on the board. My question is should I go back to school to become a teacher? I'm thinking either an elementary or middle school teaching position. I will turn 29 later this year with a busy family and have an Associate's Degree in Agribusiness Management that I've never really used. During the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school, I was talked out of teaching by a neighbor. I've never really knew what I wanted to be growing up as a kid, and guess you could say that up to this point that still holds true. My personality type is the INFJ that lists teaching as a good career field for my personality. I've looked into WGU a small amount, but have not pulled the trigger on anything. Does anyone have any insight or advice they can offer?

It’s all about the State and the District where you teach. 

If you are truly passionate about wanting to do it, I say go ahead. Even with all the BS that politicians are doing to the profession, I am still one that will say go for it if it really is something you want to do. I am not sure though that WGU is the best route though. I am not sure how many district administrations are cooperating with them. My understanding is that the field experience/student teaching is just a couple of weeks. I am thankful I ended up doing a full semester in different buildings with different age groups. I just don’t think two weeks is anywhere near long enough to give you the experience you need to decide if this is REALLY what you want to do. I am guessing that working is the reason for considering WGU, and doing as much as possible online, but I would do some exploring of other programs. 

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

If you are truly passionate about wanting to do it, I say go ahead. Even with all the BS that politicians are doing to the profession, I am still one that will say go for it if it really is something you want to do. I am not sure though that WGU is the best route though. I am not sure how many district administrations are cooperating with them. My understanding is that the field experience/student teaching is just a couple of weeks. I am thankful I ended up doing a full semester in different buildings with different age groups. I just don’t think two weeks is anywhere near long enough to give you the experience you need to decide if this is REALLY what you want to do. I am guessing that working is the reason for considering WGU, and doing as much as possible online, but I would do some exploring of other programs. 

I work with A LOT of people who were certified through WGU.

On 11/1/2019 at 3:08 PM, Basementbias said:

most rewarding career you can ask for if you love working with young people and have a passion for your subject area.  feel free to dm.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, Irishman said:

Yes working is the reason I am considering the WGU route. My fear is that WGU's program would not be looked at in the same regards as others. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet due to this reason. I love working with children as I coach different youth sports in mostly the elementary to middle school ages currently. It may sound odd, but I loved going to school as a child. I love helping my step children with their school work as well. I hear the complaints from some teaching parents about state testing and such and acknowledge that frustration. I don't want to be naïve and think that teaching and schools are like they were when I graduated 10 going on 11 years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Yes working is the reason I am considering the WGU route. My fear is that WGU's program would not be looked at in the same regards as others. I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet due to this reason. I love working with children as I coach different youth sports in mostly the elementary to middle school ages currently. It may sound odd, but I loved going to school as a child. I love helping my step children with their school work as well. I hear the complaints from some teaching parents about state testing and such and acknowledge that frustration. I don't want to be naïve and think that teaching and schools are like they were when I graduated 10 going on 11 years ago.

I’ve never seen a WGU alumnus who was unemployed.