Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A Regional Championship: 4#8Mooresville @ 4#3Memorial

Found the game late on my computer, it sounded like I found the 2 Mooresville Students broadcast (and 1 of the them needed to blow his nose), but I digress.  I turned it on when Mooresville went for the TD on 4th and goal at the beginning of the 4th quarter (I think) instead of kicking the FG down 14-7 and didn't complete the pass (learned long ago, take the FG points when you can). 

I'd like to hear from EM or Mooresville fans about the EM drive when there was a roughing the passer call and then later Gillen got an unsportsmanlike conduct call for arguing a call (I'd like to see officials show better restraint especially in the playoffs on those types of calls in critical situations) all of which led to the eventual game winning field goal for EM.  I saw a blatant holding call on a pass play that was not called but from the 2 students doing the broadcast and all of the Mooresville fans in the background it sounded like Mooresville was getting a few bad calls.  I know there are 2 sides of the story but I'd like to hear about that drive and the refs, was Moorseville shooting themselves in the foot or was Memorial making plays?  Were refs bad?  Did Gillen deserve that call?

50 minutes ago, Art VanDelay said:

Found the game late on my computer, it sounded like I found the 2 Mooresville Students broadcast (and 1 of the them needed to blow his nose), but I digress.  I turned it on when Mooresville went for the TD on 4th and goal at the beginning of the 4th quarter (I think) instead of kicking the FG down 14-7 and didn't complete the pass (learned long ago, take the FG points when you can). 

I'd like to hear from EM or Mooresville fans about the EM drive when there was a roughing the passer call and then later Gillen got an unsportsmanlike conduct call for arguing a call (I'd like to see officials show better restraint especially in the playoffs on those types of calls in critical situations) all of which led to the eventual game winning field goal for EM.  I saw a blatant holding call on a pass play that was not called but from the 2 students doing the broadcast and all of the Mooresville fans in the background it sounded like Mooresville was getting a few bad calls.  I know there are 2 sides of the story but I'd like to hear about that drive and the refs, was Moorseville shooting themselves in the foot or was Memorial making plays?  Were refs bad?  Did Gillen deserve that call?

LOL.  Keeping the nose clear was a challenge for me Friday night too...

In the 4th Q, I think Mooresville should have kicked the FG to cut it to 14-10.  Things were rolling for them.  Of course, a TD would have been huge too.  QB made a great pass on the failed 4th down try, and WR laid out but just couldn't hang onto it.  Great effort all the way around.

As for the questions, I'm biased, but I thought the roughing the QB was pretty obvious.  The flag on the coach is going to depend on the color of your M.  The break in action was probably a contributing factor.  He ended up out between the hash marks and IMO the refs gave him ample chance to get himself back to the sideline and calmed down.  But I can see how the other side would be angry.  It was a huge call and put EM into FG range.  I saw a hold too.  I think refs miss holding calls all the time.  I thought EM #6 and #69 were getting held a little bit too and it wasn't called, but everyone sees the game through biased eyes.   

IMO the big difference was EM had no turn-overs and converted 2 Mooresville turn-overs into 14 points in a span of 25 seconds.  Mooresville went from driving for a TD in the red to down 14-0 and had really controlled the field.  Honestly, if Mooresville and EM play 10 times, I would say Mooresville wins 7 or 8 times.  Maybe 10 out of 10 anywhere but Enlow. 

• Like 1