Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mental health during social distancing

Irishman

Ok, not the best title for a topic. But this popped up on my timeline. We made national news. And by we, I mean Fort Wayne. Our neighborhood has been doing this for a few days now. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/fort-wayne-wave-neighbors-coronavirus-wellness-trnd/index.html

I also included a link about taking care of our mental health. I am as guilty as anyone here in that there is an unquestionable degradation in tone not only in this forum, but on the high school one as well. I hope and pray that none of us here are negatively impacted by the awful symptoms of this virus, or even worse,  having someone we love or care about pass away as a result of having it. 

https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/health-experts-weigh-in-on-mental-health-during-the-corona-virus-outbreak

My 5 siblings and I, along with in laws, have a group text going and have been able to stay “close” while keeping our distance. Puzzles are one of the things I do as well. From early childhood, it was a hobby that our dad instilled in us all. 

I have decided also to take a step back from posting, or at least responding. I know a couple of others have told me they have done the same thing. I will continue to post positive, or funny stuff though, like the first story I posted.....cool things people are doing in the face of uncertainty. We have a whole topic now in the what to watch now, that has evolved into what we are watching while stuck at home. It may help. While not forcing anything, I would like to see the tone change. The name calling bugs me, and yep, I own my part in that. My guess is that as this isolation progresses, tempers will get shorter and shorter. Plenty of studies connect the decline in mental health and similar issues to the increased time spent on our electronic devices. I work hard to find common ground with everyone here. We may have topics we vehemently disagree on, but there is not a person here that I look at and say, there is nothing I agree with coming from their posts. Yep, there is plenty I disagree with on here. So, as one of my least favorite commentators, Bill O’Reilly used to say, take care of yourselves and each other. Stay safe, stay connected, especially with family and friends, and stay positive......please. 
✌️ 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Ok, not the best title for a topic. But this popped up on my timeline. We made national news. And by we, I mean Fort Wayne. Our neighborhood has been doing this for a few days now. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/28/us/fort-wayne-wave-neighbors-coronavirus-wellness-trnd/index.html

I also included a link about taking care of our mental health. I am as guilty as anyone here in that there is an unquestionable degradation in tone not only in this forum, but on the high school one as well. I hope and pray that none of us here are negatively impacted by the awful symptoms of this virus, or even worse,  having someone we love or care about pass away as a result of having it. 

https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/health-experts-weigh-in-on-mental-health-during-the-corona-virus-outbreak

My 5 siblings and I, along with in laws, have a group text going and have been able to stay “close” while keeping our distance. Puzzles are one of the things I do as well. From early childhood, it was a hobby that our dad instilled in us all. 

I have decided also to take a step back from posting, or at least responding. I know a couple of others have told me they have done the same thing. I will continue to post positive, or funny stuff though, like the first story I posted.....cool things people are doing in the face of uncertainty. We have a whole topic now in the what to watch now, that has evolved into what we are watching while stuck at home. It may help. While not forcing anything, I would like to see the tone change. The name calling bugs me, and yep, I own my part in that. My guess is that as this isolation progresses, tempers will get shorter and shorter. Plenty of studies connect the decline in mental health and similar issues to the increased time spent on our electronic devices. I work hard to find common ground with everyone here. We may have topics we vehemently disagree on, but there is not a person here that I look at and say, there is nothing I agree with coming from their posts. Yep, there is plenty I disagree with on here. So, as one of my least favorite commentators, Bill O’Reilly used to say, take care of yourselves and each other. Stay safe, stay connected, especially with family and friends, and stay positive......please. 
✌️ 

“Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action.” - John  Muir

Indiana State Parks, Forests, and National Forest areas are still open.  Go out and explore.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

Tbh, I’m having the time of my life right now 🙂

The lack of "calendar" to have to play to has been particularly liberating.  With Spring Break over and school back in session, there's still the job stress to a degree, but the lack of meetings, especially all those dang spontaneous ones, and the lack of having to be at this practice or that recital or this team picture or that parent meeting ... has allowed for more flexibility and less stress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

The lack of "calendar" to have to play to has been particularly liberating.  With Spring Break over and school back in session, there's still the job stress to a degree, but the lack of meetings, especially all those dang spontaneous ones, and the lack of having to be at this practice or that recital or this team picture or that parent meeting ... has allowed for more flexibility and less stress.

I “went paperless” this year by putting all my assignments onto Google Classroom, and I got a lot of flak for it- until Covid hit.