Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SF, seeing no one has started an NLC thread for 2020 yet....(what's wrong with you new guys?) .....is going to start one with pics from the new Northridge Sports complex getting closer to completion.  These pics are supposed to wind up in the Elkhart Truth.

Image may contain: stadium, football and outdoor

Image may contain: football, stadium and outdoor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: sky, basketball court, grass, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: stadium and outdoor

2 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Also - in regards to not having a new thread up yet for this season - part of the issue has been the waining interaction from other NLC commenters.

Come on - back in the day we had the NLC thread pumped up by now.  In fact many of the guys were already giving their projections for the season by now!! 😂

Per Sunday's SBT  Mishawaka sold over $71,000 in football tickets last year,  i would think that number may be even higher next season in the NLC. ** These number do not reflect concessions or all season ticket sales. 

FYI All 4 SB schools were at $62,000 and Penn was at $66,000.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:15 PM, swordfish said:

Come on - back in the day we had the NLC thread pumped up by now.  In fact many of the guys were already giving their projections for the season by now!! 😂

The heart of The NLC is dying.  All the action is coming from the periphery.  Its all about Warsaw and Mishawaka, and likely will be for the foreseeable future.  

On 5/26/2020 at 8:35 PM, DT said:

The heart of The NLC is dying.  All the action is coming from the periphery.  Its all about Warsaw and Mishawaka, and likely will be for the foreseeable future.  

Who is the "heart" of the NLC that is dying?

NorthWood - 47-14 record last 5 years, included a semi-state championship. All 3 sectional losses the last 3 years in extremely spectacular ball games. Highly competive program. A regular 4A force and rightly so included year in and year out in the conversation as a state condender. Absolutely not "dying".

Concord - 38-17 record last 5 years, including 2 sectional championships. Little to no drop off moving from a Hall of Fame caliber head coach a few years ago. I would not call that "dying".

Plymouth - 37-19 record last 5 years, included 1 sectional championship. Pretty much on par for what the Rockies have been all 17 years under Barron. Again, hardly "dying" if at all.

Northridge has been the most competitive they have ever been in their program history the last 7 years under Wogomon. If anything, that's a rebirth.

That leaves Goshen and Wawasee. Obviously, both programs have seen better days, especially Goshen. So because the Redhawks and Warriors have been down for the better part of a decade, the NLC is dying?

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

43 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Who is the "heart" of the NLC that is dying?

NorthWood - 47-14 record last 5 years, included a semi-state championship. All 3 sectional losses the last 3 years in extremely spectacular ball games. Highly competive program. A regular 4A force and rightly so included year in and year out in the conversation as a state condender. Absolutely not "dying".

Concord - 38-17 record last 5 years, including 2 sectional championships. Little to no drop off moving from a Hall of Fame caliber head coach a few years ago. I would not call that "dying".

Plymouth - 37-19 record last 5 years, included 1 sectional championship. Pretty much on par for what the Rockies have been all 17 years under Barron. Again, hardly "dying" if at all.

Northridge has been the most competitive they have ever been in their program history the last 7 years under Wogomon. If anything, that's a rebirth.

That leaves Goshen and Wawasee. Obviously, both programs have seen better days, especially Goshen. So because the Redhawks and Warriors have been down for the better part of a decade, the NLC is dying?

Arent Concord, Plymouth and Northwood just building impressive records by beating on the weaklings in the conference?  Memorial is still a part of your history, lets not forget.  The NLC went a long time with basically 3 schools being competitive outside the conference.  That is why interest has waned in your conference, participation and fan interest are down, and overall talent is probably at an all time low.

You can thank Bart Curtis for single handedly resurrecting this conference, lifting Warsaw out of the pits and bringing Mishawaka into the fray.  

44 minutes ago, DT said:

The NLC went a long time with basically 3 schools being competitive outside the conference.  That is why interest has waned in your conference, participation and fan interest are down, and overall talent is probably at an all time low.

So to be clear... your point is BECAUSE Concord, NorthWood and Plymouth have been the only competitive/relevant teams in the conference in the 2000's THAT is why "interest has waned in your conference, participation and fan interest are down, and overall talent is probably at an all time low."

That is a ridiculous take, even for your standards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

So to be clear... your point is BECAUSE Concord, NorthWood and Plymouth have been the only competitive/relevant teams in the conference in the 2000's THAT is why "interest has waned in your conference, participation and fan interest are down, and overall talent is probably at an all time low."

That is a ridiculous take, even for your standards.

Precisely.   The other schools have not contributed their fair share to the overall competitive health of the conference. It is what it is.   Unfortunate but true

16 hours ago, DT said:

Precisely.   The other schools have not contributed their fair share to the overall competitive health of the conference. It is what it is.   Unfortunate but true

Literally makes no sense. Not every team can go undefeated in the conference, you know that right? Some teams will unfortunately be toward the bottom while others are more successful. And as I pointed out to you in a different thread, most years 4 of the 8 teams (Plymouth, Northridge, NorthWood, Wawasee) have been in the same sectional, and another 3 (Concord, Goshen, Elk Memorial) would be grouped together. That leaves a maximum of 3 sectional champions each year, and that's lucky to occur.

The Duneland is guaranteed at least 1 sectional champion (6A - Sectional 1) and has a 75% chance of a 2nd (5A - Sectional 9) and a 50% chance at a 3rd (6A - Sectional 2). Hell they've got a 75% chance at a Regional champ in 6A!

My point being - post season success is not a fair assumption on how good a confernce is or is not. Outside of Valparaiso and Merrillville - who in the DAC has made much postseason noise since in the last decade? Michigan City only just recently won their first 2 sectional & regional championships and are obviously on a good trajectory under Coach Mason. Crown Point had a 3-peat of sectional championships, but look at their overall record those three years... it's .500 (18-18). And again, they benifited from being in a sectional of all DAC opponents. At least 1 of them had to win it!

• Like 1

Most of my observations come directly from reading through comments in the nlc thread

Those comments are basically as follows: 

Numbers are down

Quality of play is down

Talent is down

Coaching is not what it used to be

Fan interest is down

Game attendance is down

Media coverage is down

Many of these observations mirror those that are occurring nationally.   But they certainly don't point to a thriving, growing conference as one might believe when reading your comments

In my view, there is only one conference in the state, maybe two, that are playing football at a higher level than they were ten years ago

Siac

Hoosier Hills

Both from the south, where football has always been second or third fiddle

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Most of my observations come directly from reading through comments in the nlc thread

Those comments are basically as follows: 

Numbers are down - where? what schools have SIGNIFICANTLY decreased their numbers?

Quality of play is down - sounds awfully subjective and I don't know If I have ever heard anyone complaining about the quality of play in the NLC

Talent is down - again, this is your opinion and the only person I have heard saying so

Coaching is not what it used to be - this has to be a joke. With the exception of the revolving door at Wawasee in recent years, I'd argue the rest of the NLC (maybe not Goshen) has quite possibly their best or second best head coaches the programs have ever.

Fan interest is down - just because the lack of posting on the GID? I'd argue the yearly rehaul of the website has had something to do with this. 

Game attendance is down - I can't attend every game weekly so I cannot make an observation of my own, but it would be nice to see some proof from the schools claiming football gates are down.

Media coverage is down - This is more of a NATIONAL issue than specific to the NLC. Newspapers (especially small town ones) are dying. That's got nothing to do with the "health" of the conference.

As an avid reader of the NLC thread (obviously) -  I would love specific examples of these types of comments that have been made. I cannot think of many that back your claim on any of these topics.

4 minutes ago, Gipper said:

I find this interesting.  He calls certain people out, telling them they do not know of which they speak, yet this sanctimonious hypocrisy occurs.

Baffling.

I've shared my observations of the nlc thread with the forum.   Feel free to do the same.   It's a great read.  

1 hour ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

As an avid reader of the NLC thread (obviously) -  I would love specific examples of these types of comments that have been made. I cannot think of many that back your claim on any of these topics.

Its there

Its thousands of pages.  I dont care to go thru it all frankly.  Not only am I a prolific writer and content contributor here at The GID, I am also a voracious reader.  Perhaps you are missing some of the finer details as you read others NLC related posts.

• 4 weeks later...

Another month since a post here. Not sure how many NLC fans are here. Any thoughts on how the season will shake out this year? Who has important players back? Who lost impact players?

I might argue Mishawaka is the front runner in their first season in the NLC. However, they will have a heck of a 4 game stretch in the middle of the season @ Warsaw, @ Plymouth, home vs Concord and then @ NorthWood. 

Warsaw lost quite a bit from last year's team IMO, but I thought the same thing going into last season and they ended up winning their first ever sectional championship and were 11 points away from an undefeated regular season.

What do the usual conference title contenders Concord, Plymouth and NorthWood have returning?

How does Northridge look? Will they be able to compete like the 2013, 2014 and 2017 Raiders did? Or are they looking at a potenial sub .500 season for the 3rd year in a row?

Any improvement at all expected from Goshen or Wawasee? Is there any heat under Coach Park when he sits down after going 4-27 the last 3 seasons since the Redhawks went 8-3 in 2016? (their only winning season in 12 years!) At least the Warriors have had 4 winning seasons in that time span, but the 4 head coaches over the last 8 seasons, can Coach Reutebuch bring some consistensy (and competitiveness) to Syracuse?

3 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Another month since a post here. Not sure how many NLC fans are here. Any thoughts on how the season will shake out this year? Who has important players back? Who lost impact players?

I might argue Mishawaka is the front runner in their first season in the NLC. However, they will have a heck of a 4 game stretch in the middle of the season @ Warsaw, @ Plymouth, home vs Concord and then @ NorthWood. 

Warsaw lost quite a bit from last year's team IMO, but I thought the same thing going into last season and they ended up winning their first ever sectional championship and were 11 points away from an undefeated regular season.

What do the usual conference title contenders Concord, Plymouth and NorthWood have returning?

How does Northridge look? Will they be able to compete like the 2013, 2014 and 2017 Raiders did? Or are they looking at a potenial sub .500 season for the 3rd year in a row?

Any improvement at all expected from Goshen or Wawasee? Is there any heat under Coach Park when he sits down after going 4-27 the last 3 seasons since the Redhawks went 8-3 in 2016? (their only winning season in 12 years!) At least the Warriors have had 4 winning seasons in that time span, but the 4 head coaches over the last 8 seasons, can Coach Reutebuch bring some consistensy (and competitiveness) to Syracuse?

Mishawaka joining the NLC reminds me of when Penn State came into the Big Ten

It was totally unexpected.   Big bully football school coming in to disrupt the general quiet and order of normal conference proceedings.  

These Cavemen will have a huge immediate impact 

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:02 PM, swordfish said:

SF is just ready to see some football, even if I have stand outside the fence of the new NR field/stadium.......

Maybe we all can rent Scissor Lifts to get a great look over the field!!!!

• Thanks 1

Welp... with tonight's news that Concord, NorthWood and Northirdge have suspended sports, I guess we'll be lucky to see a season. It will be interesting to see if Plymouth, Warsaw and Wawasee (and I guess Mishawaka for now - but they're in a "hotter" zone than the other schools) end up playing a season if those others do not. If most of the NIC gets taken out as well, it'll be interesting to see if unaffected teams try and stick it out for a season and come up with random schedules almost week by week or something.

For Warsaw, depending on what happens, but lets say all of Lake, Porter, LaPorte, St Joseph and Elkhart county schools shut down football this season. Hypothetical schedule like this:

8/21: @ Huntington North
8/28: vs. East Noble (since East Noble would have an opening with NorthWood being shut down)
9/4: @ Plymouth
9/11: vs. Culver Military (since CMA would have an opening with Hobart being shut down)
9/18: @ Wawasee (move the game up earlier in the year to make way for a possible make-up for one of the suspended teams if they come back)
9/25: @ Knox (since Knox would have an opening with LaVille being shut down - school is literally at the very southern edge of St. Joseph County. Plus, who wouldn't want to see Radtke vs. Curtis?)
10/2: vs. Angola (since Angola would have an opening with South Bend Clay being shut down)
10/9: vs. Lakeland (since Lakeland would have an opening with Fairfield being shut down)
10/16: vs. Breman (since Breman would have an opening with South Bend Clay being shut down)

It's not the most intriguing schedule (6 - 4A schools, 2 - 3A schools, 1 - 2A school), but it would be a full 9 game schedule (wishful thinking I know!). And would help those other teams fill out their own schedules due to programs being shut down. As well, while smaller schools, programs such as East Noble, CMA, Knox and Angola are no slouches.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07