Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DAC vs SAC - Time to celebrate the North's Revival

Guest DT

After a long and arduous shift in power to the south, we are starting to see the power pendulum swing ever so slightly back towards the north.

Central Indiana football has dominated the state for the past 20 years.  The facts are irrefutable.  However, the North is making gains, and might be on the verge of a competitive break thru.

Northern Indiana schools are starting to develop D1 talent again, after a long dryspell which saw the Norths major conferences experience a severe talent drought.  Several new big school programs are now on the state radar as potential challengers, joining historical favorites Penn and Snider as annual contenders.

The lower levels appear to be gaining in strength as well.  The HNAC has emerged quickly as a premier small school power conference.  Lots of solid and improving 4A programs as well across the northern half of the state.  Lafayette area football is being played at a very high level.

Prep football in Indiana, like in many states, will need a shot of enthusiasm and freshness when it emerges from the Covid Cloud.

To celebrate the reemergence of Northern Indiana Football, a challenge match on opening weekend between our two best conferences, The Duneland and the Summit, would be a great way to kick off the season.

Id like to see Demaree Stadium in Merrillville host the inaugural two day event, where 4 games will match up the best of the best between the two conferences.

Schedule as follows :

Friday night :   Chesterton vs Carroll

Saturday Morning : Homestead vs Valpo

Saturday Afternoon : Dwenger vs Michigan City

Saturday Evening : Snider vs Merrillville

5 minutes ago, DT said:

After a long and arduous shift in power to the south, we are starting to see the power pendulum swing ever so slightly back towards the north.

Central Indiana football has dominated the state for the past 20 years.  The facts are irrefutable.  However, the North is making gains, and might be on the verge of a competitive break thru.

Northern Indiana schools are starting to develop D1 talent again, after a long dryspell which saw the Norths major conferences experience a severe talent drought.  Several new big school programs are now on the state radar as potential challengers, joining historical favorites Penn and Snider as annual contenders.

The lower levels appear to be gaining in strength as well.  The HNAC has emerged quickly as a premier small school power conference.  Lots of solid and improving 4A programs as well across the northern half of the state.  Lafayette area football is being played at a very high level.

Prep football in Indiana, like in many states, will need a shot of enthusiasm and freshness when it emerges from the Covid Cloud.

To celebrate the reemergence of Northern Indiana Football, a challenge match on opening weekend between our two best conferences, The Duneland and the Summit, would be a great way to kick off the season.

Id like to see Demaree Stadium in Merrillville host the inaugural two day event, where 4 games will match up the best of the best between the two conferences.

Schedule as follows :

Friday night :   Chesterton vs Carroll

Saturday Morning : Homestead vs Valpo

Saturday Afternoon : Dwenger vs Michigan City

Saturday Evening : Snider vs Merrillville

Your best idea yet.  We sort of already have an informal MIC/HCC challenge but I’d be on board with something similar there.

Edited by Guest

Already in place:

Avon plays Ben Davis and Lawrence North.

Brownsburg plays Ben Davis.

Fishers plays North Central and Pike.

Hamilton SE plays Lawrence Central and North Central.

Zionsville plays Pike.

It would be really cool to put them at neutral sites (four games at Warren, four at Ben Davis) on a Saturday afternoon.  Would be cool for conference pride.

Great lineup! The long road trip to Merrillville won't do the SAC any favors though (reflected in my final scores).

Friday night won't disappoint, but Chesterton picked the wrong year to rumble with the Chargers. This could be Carroll's best team to date. I hope the Trojan's have one heck of a pass defense. Chesterton won't roll over easily though. They showed last year that they can be competitive with the best in Northern Indiana. Carroll by 3.

Homestead and Valpo will be good for a half, then the Vikings will pull away. The Spartans have some studs, but losing Luke Goode to basketball is a heart breaker for the program. That loss alone drops them from the #1 team up north in 6A to about 5 or 6. From what I'm hearing out of the Duneland, the Vikings may be as good this year as they were last year. That will spell trouble for Homestead to the tune of 14 points. 

Ring this next game up for the SAC. Michigan City has a good program, but they're not Dwenger. Sure they've had some recent success lately, but the Saint's come marching in with something to prove after last years defeat to another Duneland team. Dwenger's defense will dominate and will ultimately win this game by 21 points in a shutout. 

It sounds like Merrillville has a very talented team this year. Snider is young, and quite possibly one year away from their third state championship. But losing 37 seniors will be too much to overcome for the young Panthers. Snider will show grit like they always do, but I see Merrillville striking early in this one. Snider will hang around, but they never get closer than 7 and the Pirates score late to ice it. Merrillville by 14. Snider will be better prepared when they meet again at semi-state. 

Edited by BTF
correction

A similar sort of challenge match between say the powers of the Hoosier Conference and the venerable North Central Conference could be interesting.  Play it at Lafayette Jefferson's extravagant Scheumann Stadium.

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

Great lineup! The long road trip to Merrillville won't do the SAC any favors though (reflected in my final scores).

Friday night won't disappoint, but Chesterton picked the wrong year to rumble with the Chargers. This could be Carroll's best team to date. I hope the Trojan's have one heck of a pass defense. Chesterton won't roll over easily though. They showed last year that they can be competitive with the best in Northern Indiana. Carroll by 3.

Homestead and Valpo will be good for a half, then the Vikings will pull away. The Spartans have some studs, but losing Luke Goode to basketball is a heart breaker for the program. That loss alone drops them from the #1 team up north in 6A to about 5 or 6. From what I'm hearing out of the Duneland, the Vikings may be as good this year as they were last year. That will spell trouble for Homestead to the tune of 14 points. 

Ring this next game up for the SAC. Michigan City has a good program, but they're not Dwenger. Sure they've had some recent success lately, but the Saint's come marching in with something to prove after last years defeat to another Duneland team. Dwenger's defense will dominate and will ultimately win this game by 21 points in a shutout. 

It sounds like Merrillville has a very talented team this year. Snider is young, and quite possibly one year away from their third state championship. But losing 37 seniors will be too much to overcome for the young Panthers. Snider will show grit like they always do, but I see Merrillville striking early in this one. Snider will hang around, but they never get closer than 7 and the Pirates score late to ice it. Merrillville by 14. Snider will be better prepared when they meet again at semi-state. 

Great recap, and a very entertaining 2-2 split.  Note that the challenge moves east to FW for Game 2 in this series.  What is the venue?  Do the next tier of schools get their shot?  

23 minutes ago, BTF said:

Hard to believe that any program, regardless of size, can graduate 37 seniors .  That is the essence of program loyalty.  

26 minutes ago, DT said:

Great recap, and a very entertaining 2-2 split.  Note that the challenge moves east to FW for Game 2 in this series.  What is the venue?  Do the next tier of schools get their shot?  

If Carroll's new stadium is done by then, then it should be played there. They are spending 7 million (double what Dwenger spent on theirs) and will seat 6500. If it's not ready, then it should be played at Spuller stadium. Old, but very efficient with ample parking, seating, concessions, and bathrooms. Easy access for those coming down US 30 or for those taking the toll road to 69 south.  Plus they are sporting a new turf field. No more "mud bowls." I'm still haunted from 1997.............arguably Snider's best team ever. 

The next tier would be interesting, but who do you eliminate out of the SAC? I'll pick on South Side since they seem to be having their share of problems. Northrop is a 6A school who won't want to be left out. Concordia and Luers are both competitive and always dangerous. Wayne just landed one of the better coaches in the state, so look for them to make noise in 5A in the near future. North Side is hit or miss, normally miss. But they seem to be excited about the team they are putting on the field this year. They have a D1 quarterback (transferred from Snider.......not sure of the details). 

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

If Carroll's new stadium is done by then, then it should be played there. They are spending 7 million (double what Dwenger spent on theirs) and will seat 6500. If it's not ready, then it should be played at Spuller stadium. Old, but very efficient with ample parking, seating, concessions, and bathrooms. Easy access for those coming down US 30 or for those taking the toll road to 69 south.  Plus they are sporting a new turf field. No more "mud bowls." I'm still haunted from 1997.............arguably Snider's best team ever. 

The next tier would be interesting, but who do you eliminate out of the SAC? I'll pick on South Side since they seem to be having their share of problems. Northrop is a 6A school who won't want to be left out. Concordia and Luers are both competitive and always dangerous. Wayne just landed one of the better coaches in the state, so look for them to make noise in 5A in the near future. North Side is hit or miss, normally miss. But they seem to be excited about the team they are putting on the field this year. They have a D1 quarterback (transferred from Snider.......not sure of the details). 

How about this?  We will send the NCC over to FW to rep The Region for Year 2 of the series.  

Take these 4 and match them up as you see fit:

Lowell

Hobart

Andrean

Munster

44 minutes ago, DT said:

Hard to believe that any program, regardless of size, can graduate 37 seniors .  That is the essence of program loyalty.  

Bush (50), Isaacs (36), and Tippmann (25). That's 111 years of coaching at Snider. They've built a program..............regardless of the change in demographics. 

9 minutes ago, DT said:

How about this?  We will send the NCC over to FW to rep The Region for Year 2 of the series.  

Take these 4 and match them up as you see fit:

Lowell

Hobart

Andrean

Munster

I think I'll pass on that. SAC vs Duneland should be an annual affair. Although Muster vs South Side might be a pretty good game. 

9 minutes ago, BTF said:

I think I'll pass on that. SAC vs Duneland should be an annual affair. Although Muster vs South Side might be a pretty good game. 

OK

Here you go

Lake Central vs Wayne

Portage  vs Northside

Crown Point vs Luers

Laporte Vs Northrup

1 hour ago, DT said:

OK

Here you go

Lake Central vs Wayne

Portage  vs Northside

Crown Point vs Luers

Laporte Vs Northrup

I would be tempted to take Wayne over Lake Central. The Generals are two years removed from a team that almost took out Dwenger during the Saints run to the state championship. Wayne was 0-10 last year, but there is talent at that school and Coach Haydock will find it. Wayne by 7

When I think of Portage, I think of the the great teams of the 90's. It's not the 90's anymore though and I can't believe what I'm about to say. North Side by 7. The D1 quarterback is the difference. 

Crown Point by 17. A large 6A team that lost to Merrillville twice last year by a grand total of 4 pts. Way too much for a Luers program trying to regain their rhythm. 

How the !@#$ am I suppose to pick this one?  I'll take the Bruins by 3, just because I believe in the young Doerffler and his father Dean. Remember some of the powerhouse teams Dale and Dean had back in the 80's and 90's? 

So I'm going with the SAC 3-1 in this battle. I tried not to be biased. I'm sure I went wrong somewhere, because I don't see the SAC going 5-3. I think if it really happened, it would be an even split. The three victories I gave to the SAC could go either way. 

52 minutes ago, BTF said:

I would be tempted to take Wayne over Lake Central. The Generals are two years removed from a team that almost took out Dwenger during the Saints run to the state championship. Wayne was 0-10 last year, but there is talent at that school and Coach Haydock will find it. Wayne by 7

When I think of Portage, I think of the the great teams of the 90's. It's not the 90's anymore though and I can't believe what I'm about to say. North Side by 7. The D1 quarterback is the difference. 

Crown Point by 17. A large 6A team that lost to Merrillville twice last year by a grand total of 4 pts. Way too much for a Luers program trying to regain their rhythm. 

How the !@#$ am I suppose to pick this one?  I'll take the Bruins by 3, just because I believe in the young Doerffler and his father Dean. Remember some of the powerhouse teams Dale and Dean had back in the 80's and 90's? 

So I'm going with the SAC 3-1 in this battle. I tried not to be biased. I'm sure I went wrong somewhere, because I don't see the SAC going 5-3. I think if it really happened, it would be an even split. The three victories I gave to the SAC could go either way. 

Would Concordia fare better against CP than Luers?

6 minutes ago, DT said:

Would Concordia fare better against CP than Luers?

I think so. Mannigel has a pretty good grip on his program right now. Luers has be very hit or miss since the younger Lindsay took over. The level of talent seems to be much different at Luers since Matt resigned and Kyle took over. Overall, I like what Mannigel has done at Concordia and I expect them to be solid as long as he is the coach. 

Although it clearly won't be happening this year, I think cross-sectional match-ups across the entire state could be a great idea.   You could put Conference Indiana against the Midstate, Hoosier Hills against the SIAC, or even the ultimate test in the Central Indiana pecking order: the MIC facing off against those pesky upstarts from the HCC.  I'd also like to see smaller conference represented: Hoosier, Hoosier North, NLC, Pocket, and WRC among others.  I know I didn't name many from the southern part of our great state: suggestions, please:classic_cool:

2 hours ago, Gipper said:

Although it clearly won't be happening this year, I think cross-sectional match-ups across the entire state could be a great idea.   You could put Conference Indiana against the Midstate, Hoosier Hills against the SIAC, or even the ultimate test in the Central Indiana pecking order: the MIC facing off against those pesky upstarts from the HCC.  I'd also like to see smaller conference represented: Hoosier, Hoosier North, NLC, Pocket, and WRC among others.  I know I didn't name many from the southern part of our great state: suggestions, please:classic_cool:

Conference Indiana and the Circle City Conference already play several cross-conference games yearly.  In fact, I think the CCC teams  have generally played as many CI teams in the the regular season each year as they have CCC teams.

Don't know the exact breakdown (although I have tracked it each year...just don’t have it on hand), but I think the CCC schools have been relatively dominant in terms of victories vs. the CI.

Edited by Lysander

5 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Conference Indiana and the Circle City Conference already play several cross-conference games yearly.  In fact, I think the CCC teams  have generally played as many CI teams in the the regular season each year as they have CCC teams.

Don't know the exact breakdown (although I have tracked it each year...just don’t have it on hand), but I think the CCC schools have been relatively dominant in terms of victories vs. the CI.

Good to know!  Thanks for the update.

22 minutes ago, Lysander said:

These two conferences have a very mutually beneficial gentleman's scheduling agreement.  It seems to work very well and creates the opportunity for some outstanding public vs private matchups, something you rarely see anymore in the MIC or the HCC.  

2 minutes ago, DT said:

These two conferences have a very mutually beneficial gentleman's scheduling agreement.  It seems to work very well and creates the opportunity for some outstanding public vs private matchups, something you rarely see anymore in the MIC or the HCC.  

Agreed.  It’s been enjoyable to watch these games and I agree that they have been “mutually beneficial” (perfect choice of words DT).  I have to give kudos to the ADs (and whoever else) that might have beeninvolved in making this happen.

If I have one regret it is that Chatard has not yet played Columbus North.  I have long wanted to attend a game at Columbus North (and East for that matter).

57 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Agreed.  It’s been enjoyable to watch these games and I agree that they have been “mutually beneficial” (perfect choice of words DT).  I have to give kudos to the ADs (and whoever else) that might have beeninvolved in making this happen.

If I have one regret it is that Chatard has not yet played Columbus North.  I have long wanted to attend a game at Columbus North (and East for that matter).

Chatard - CN would be a fabulous matchup.

I personally believe the two conferences should merge, minus the smaller PPs.

Chatard

Brebeuf

Roncalli 

Guerin

Southport

THN

THS

BN

BS

CN

Lets call it The BIG TEN

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Fun discussion 

Would be great to see something like this come to fruition, but logistically do not hold breathe 

Agreed---the logistics are not ideal.  Then again, I didn't say it would be this (even italicized it!) year...

MIC/HCC Matchups I’d like to see.

Brownsburg/Ben Davis...natural rivalry

Warren/Avon...Orioles have conquered BD two consecutive times, time to go after the other big boy in town

Carmel/Fishers...natural geographic rival

Lawrence North/HSE...they already compete for the same kids

Lawrence Central/Noblesville...two brand new regimes trying to climb out of the cellar

Zionsville/Pike...juicy coaching headlines plus natural geography

Franklin Central/Center Grove...FC needs to put its big boy pants on eventually

Westfield/North Central...the battle of Keystone/Meridian