Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chain Crew

I haven't seen this discussed on here or in handouts about game management. Does anyone have the plan on chain gang protocols? Most schools I've seen those guys are in the high risk category. Are they given a bubble? What's the word on this?

IHSAA has an email out including Chain Gangs.  I just says that they can wear gloves and a mask if they choose.  Advises them to sanitize their hands routinely if not wearing gloves.  As they are an extension of the officiating crew, I believe they are to follow the same general guidelines that as the officials.

9 minutes ago, LCCAlum said:

I haven't seen this discussed on here or in handouts about game management. Does anyone have the plan on chain gang protocols? Most schools I've seen those guys are in the high risk category. Are they given a bubble? What's the word on this?

In the various meetings I have attended, I haven't heard anything different for this year. I would guess that masks will be a personal preference. Not much they can do as far as social distancing. When I worked the H, I made sure they were able to work unimpeded. 

I would guess if you are in a high risk group you probably don't want to on the chain crew. You don't really talk to anyone but each other, but you would be near the coaches and players on the sideline much of the game. One alternative they could consider is using extra pylons to mark the line to gain so everyone can see it. Two people on the chain crew could place the pylons and then get away from the team box. This would reduce the amount of time they are in close proximity to others and also reduce the number of people required to do the job. Most crews use a mechanic where every new series starts on the back of a line. That way we can use the lines on the field rather than an arbitrary placement of a stake on the sideline. The stakes mostly serve as reminders of where the line to gain is located. This doesn't help on fields where they don't mark every yard line or if a series has to start between the yard lines.

This is a tough one to deal with having done it for over 40 seasons.  I am planning on dong it this year but I will wear a mask and a hat,  a long sleeve t shirt for sure, I work in health care so goggles or a mask might be appropriate, disposable gloves, and hand sanitizer.  What cannot be controlled is kids who spit as the come off the field or drink water, coaches yelling who might remove their masks.  How will the crew work with keeping people back is another one that is never uniform.  Let's see how this all plays out in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

This is a tough one to deal with having done it for over 40 seasons.  I am planning on dong it this year but I will wear a mask and a hat,  a long sleeve t shirt for sure, I work in health care so goggles or a mask might be appropriate, disposable gloves, and hand sanitizer.  What cannot be controlled is kids who spit as the come off the field or drink water, coaches yelling who might remove their masks.  How will the crew work with keeping people back is another one that is never uniform.  Let's see how this all plays out in the next 2 weeks.

Good luck and stay safe!!!  What we’re going up against, COVID-19, is on an almost unprecedented scale.  I know Spanish Flu was also a pandemic, but things are different now and no virus is ever the same.

Edited by Gipper

34 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Thanks for helping with the game and wish you best of luck this year! 

I know it’s not really the ‘norm’ but I could see some teams choosing to keep the chains on the home side. Most schools are tight knit communities and the chain gang is an uncle, grandpa, cousin, etc. and part of a pseudo bubble already. 

Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I know it’s not really the ‘norm’ but I could see some teams choosing to keep the chains on the home side. Most schools are tight knit communities and the chain gang is an uncle, grandpa, cousin, etc. and part of a pseudo bubble already. 

Just a thought.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Most of the chain gangs I have seen are actually dads of current players, which would be... problematic perhaps... but from a "bubble" standpoint it makes sense. 

38 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Good luck and stay safe!!!  What we’re going up against, COVID-19, is on an almost unprecedented scale.  I know Spanish Flu was also a pandemic, but things are different now and no virus is ever the same.

I work in health care but not direct care.  I have worn a mask daily since Mark.  Been tested 2 times and get temp taken every morning.  Have not washed my hands as much as I have.  It is those who do not take this serious are the ones I would like to strangle

7 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Just a thought.

good idea - guess each school will make that call