Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Did the HCC and the Mid State make big mistakes when adding FC and PM?

Guest DT

14 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah they left after the 1982-1983 school year to join the South Central Conference. When the SCC died after the 1996-1997 school year, Bloomington North, along with three other members (Bloomington South, Columbus North, and Martinsville), helped form Conference Indiana.

Conference Indiana was essentially a merger of what was left of the SCC and the old Central Suburban Athletic Conference (Pike/Decatur Central/Franklin Central/Lawrence Central/Southport/Perry Meridian) as both had been shrunk by teams lost to other conferences. The SCC was really hit by the loss of CG (to the MIC) and Shelbyville (to the HHC). Rushville had left a few years before to start the HHC in 1994. Seymour found its way to the Hoosier Hills. The CSAC only lost Lawrence North to the MIC, but that dropped their membership to 6. LC wasn't invited to the MIC as LN had a bigger athletic profile at the time in almost every sport. Pike's enrollment was still well below 2,000 at the time the MIC was formed, too. 

What's interesting is Center Grove bounced between both the CSAC and the SCC - its departure from CSAC for the SCC (along with Brownsburg & Greenfield-Central leaving) is what opened the door for Southport & Perry Meridian to join in 1991 and turn CSAC into an all-Marion County league. And Southport is the only remnant of the CSAC remaining in Conference Indiana. Pike & LC went to the MIC and swapped spots with the TH schools, Franklin Central to the Hoosier Crossroads, Decatur Central & Perry Meridian to the Mid-State. 

Conference Indiana, when it was formed, was an incredible boys basketball conference. Pike won three state titles while in the league, Bloomington North won one (in addition to its 1997 title) and played in two State Finals, Bloomington South has won a couple, LC made a semistate run in the first year of class hoops. FC had its runs with JaJuan Johnson. One could argue Conference Indiana was the best basketball league in the state - or even with the MIC - in the late 1990s and early 2000s. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gipper said:

Conference Indiana is the ugly stepsister if the IHS double A and the Terre Haute schools are the ugly stepsisters of Conference Indiana.  It wound be much better for them to be in the Western Indiana Conference.  I also think the Bloomington and Columbus schools should hook up with BNL, Martinsville, Franklin, and Whiteland to form Conference Indiana.

Why the down vote?  Is simple geography beyond your realm of comprehension?

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

As are West Lafayette and South Bend, but you don’t see Harrison and Adams hooking up that often.  

Probably because of the 109-mile distance: http://mapq.st/38DjXHX

Bloomington to Terre Haute is 61.3 miles: http://mapq.st/32IiNai

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Why the down vote?  Is simple geography beyond your realm of comprehension?

It is, apparently for you. 

• Disdain 1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:48 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

Is Southport truly happy or do they just not have any other options? I honestly don’t know but Conference Indiana used to have six Marion County schools. Decatur Central and Perry Meridian left for the Mid-State, Pike and Lawrence Central left for the MIC, and Franklin Central left for the HCC. Also, Martinsville was also in Conference Indiana and they left for the Mid-State. With other larger-enrollment Indy-area conferences like the MIC, HCC, and Mid-State being at a max capacity of eight schools each, Southport doesn’t have much choice. If Conference Indiana were to fall apart, one would have to think Southport would go independent unless some of the growing Indy area public schools decided to break off from their small-enrollment conferences and form a new one. This is just me spit-balling but I’d truly be curious to know what Southport thinks of its situation.

You make a great point. 

3 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Complain to the school board that they share with Perry Meridian. 

Perry has achieved its goal, which was separation from Southport.  They will not be going back anytime soon.  

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

School boards usually don't allow Peter to rob Paul. 

I believe the school board was in facvor of the separation.  Lots of ill will between the two schools.  Fights, riots etc at athletic events over the years.  

10 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

This talks about one athletic director, not a school board. 

If there is somethig in the school board notes, post it.  Im not going to go thru 200 attachments

10 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Will do, geography boy. 

I don’t see how my geography is off.  All I was calling for is for Bedford, Bloomington, Columbus, Martinsville, and a few others coming together.  What’s this crap about 109 miles?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gipper said:

I don’t see how my geography is off.

You had said-

-which was in response to- 

Bloomington and Terre Haute are close enough to each other, and similar enough in enrollment, where they would be good together in the same conference.

In regards to-

13 hours ago, Gipper said:

All I was calling for is for Bedford, Bloomington, Columbus, Martinsville, and a few others coming together.

- this is probably a sub-optimal configuration, particularly when factoring in enrollment trends. 

23 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

You had said-

-which was in response to- 

Bloomington and Terre Haute are close enough to each other, and similar enough in enrollment, where they would be good together in the same conference.

In regards to-

- this is probably a sub-optimal configuration, particularly when factoring in enrollment trends. 

Oh, I guess you didn’t see my sarcasm: shocker.

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

This wouldn't improve travel distance, since Bloomington and New Albany are 93 miles apart: http://mapq.st/2K0cbgT

Like I said, it’s a rumor. Not sure if it’s true but the source is an assistant football coach with one of the HHC schools. Even if Bloomington North wants to join, the HHC would still have to approve. Personally, I think the HHC should just wait for Silver Creek to fill the spot.