Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

fourth down fumble into end zone

gopher2

Question

I looked through the threads and couldn't find this question being asked previously.  I apologize if I missed it.

Fourth and goal.  A-12 fumbles ball on the B two yard line into end zone.  A-55 recovers in end zone.  TD awarded.  Correct or not.

For some reason I thought I remembered the fourth down recovery rule being instituted in the 90s to prevent the offense from intentionally benefitting from this play, but that was a while back.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, gopher2 said:

I looked through the threads and couldn't find this question being asked previously.  I apologize if I missed it.

Fourth and goal.  A-12 fumbles ball on the B two yard line into end zone.  A-55 recovers in end zone.  TD awarded.  Correct or not.

For some reason I thought I remembered the fourth down recovery rule being instituted in the 90s to prevent the offense from intentionally benefitting from this play, but that was a while back.

Thanks.

That's an NFL Rule.  Not an NFHS rule. 

.It's a TD, unless it is intentionally batted forward, or tossed forward (etc).  

12 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

That's an NFL Rule.  Not an NFHS rule. 

.It's a TD, unless it is intentionally batted forward, or tossed forward (etc).  

Also in the NFL, if it's within 2:00 of the half or game ending, a fumble can only be advanced by the player who fumbled the ball. If another teammate recovers it and advances, it's returned to the original recovery spot. I just saw this happen in the Bucs/Rams game. I was today years old when I learned about this rule.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Also in the NFL, if it's within 2:00 of the half or game ending, a fumble can only be advanced by the player who fumbled the ball. If another teammate recovers it and advances, it's returned to the original recovery spot. I just saw this happen in the Bucs/Rams game. I was today years old when I learned about this rule.

30 minutes ago, gopher2 said:

Thanks.

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, gopher2 said:

Thanks.

In high school, that’s a TD. In NCAA and NFL, the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble, unless the player recovering the fumble is the one who originally fumbled it, and the down counts.