Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is the SEC overrated?

BTF

The SEC is off to a rough start in 2021 postseason. Their record stands at 1-5 while the Big Ten sits at 5-0. Purdue, with seven starters out, defeated a Tennessee team that was far more healthy. Hasn't this become a trend in recent years? I'm just going off of memory here, but it seems like the Big Ten has outperformed the SEC in recent years. At what point are we going to acknowledge that maybe the SEC is no longer the best. The Big Ten is making a case for itself. 

That being said. I like Michigan and Cincinnati to cover the spread. Temp?

16 minutes ago, BTF said:

The SEC is off to a rough start in 2021 postseason. Their record stands at 1-5 while the Big Ten sits at 5-0. Purdue, with seven starters out, defeated a Tennessee team that was far more healthy. Hasn't this become a trend in recent years? I'm just going off of memory here, but it seems like the Big Ten has outperformed the SEC in recent years. At what point are we going to acknowledge that maybe the SEC is no longer the best. The Big Ten is making a case for itself. 

That being said. I like Michigan and Cincinnati to cover the spread. Temp?

SEC slappies will tell you all season “it just means more” (their tag line) but then minimize the stats you are referencing.

I’ve already heard it.  “Bowl games mean more to non-SEC teams as they give their best while our best opt out for the draft.”

Personally, I’ve always hated March Madness/bowl games in determining conference strength.  Levels of motivation vary and upsets happen.

That being said, if Bama (or UGA) wins it all, the slappies will move the goalposts and use that metric.  They always do.

Gimme Bama to cover and Michigan for the out right win.

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

SEC slappies will tell you all season “it just means more” (their tag line) but then minimize the stats you are referencing.

I’ve already heard it.  “Bowl games mean more to non-SEC teams as they give their best while our best opt out for the draft.”

Personally, I’ve always hated March Madness/bowl games in determining conference strength.  Levels of motivation vary and upsets happen.

That being said, if Bama (or UGA) wins it all, the slappies will move the goalposts and use that metric.  They always do.

So our bet is on the Bama/Cincy game. 

Look no further than Purdue/Tennessee. The Volunteers looked pretty jacked up coming out of the locker room. Not to mention 70% of the stadium that was wearing orange. So the "it means more to you than it does us" is total b---s---. Purdue even did it without seven starters. A decimated Boiler team took Tennessee's best shot and won. 

If both Georgia and Alabama advance, I'll reconsider. One team in the finals doesn't do it for me. Big Ten makes a case for the nation's best. 

9 minutes ago, temptation said:

I think the SEC is the best football conference yet acknowledge schools and conferences are gaining ground.  Does that make me a "slappy"?  😂

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Depends on what your metrics are for making that statement.

Eye test.  # of top flight players.  # of CFP appearances.  # of CFP championships.  To name some.

Besides that, I could not care less about which conference is perceived as the best.  I leave that to you experts.  😉

8 hours ago, DE said:

Eye test.  # of top flight players.  # of CFP appearances.  # of CFP championships.  To name some.

Besides that, I could not care less about which conference is perceived as the best.  I leave that to you experts.  😉

I stand corrected.