• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  48 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Random Topics.......

swordfish

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

It’s a point of view. There are others. 

Sorry Bob, that's a non-answer.

I do believe there is some truth in Mr. Butker's assertion of "the cultural emasculation of men".  You can see that everyday in the media.  In TV, films, advertising, etc.  men are frequently portrayed as "Homer Simpsons",  simple buffoons to be laughed at and pitied.  With the woman usually coming in to "set thing right".

25 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

You can see that everyday in the media.  In TV, films, advertising, etc.  men are frequently portrayed as "Homer Simpsons",  simple buffoons to be laughed at and pitied.  With the woman usually coming in to "set thing right".

That’s simply a recognition by the marketing people that women are the primary drivers of consumer spending. So, much of that advertising is targeted at them. I don’t feel “emasculated” by commercials. Do you?

On 5/20/2024 at 8:59 AM, Bobref said:

That’s because you like what he says. It doesn’t matter who is saying it.

Based on my years of hearing the current President, SF really wouldn't expect him to deliver a true-to-oneself speech on personal and moral ethics that would align with my outlook, but you are correct, I certainly do agree with Mr. Butker's point of view when it comes to straight marriage.  

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

That’s simply a recognition by the marketing people that women are the primary drivers of consumer spending. So, much of that advertising is targeted at them. I don’t feel “emasculated” by commercials. Do you?

No I don't.

But as I said it is not just commercials.

4 hours ago, swordfish said:

Based on my years of hearing the current President, SF really wouldn't expect him to deliver a true-to-oneself speech on personal and moral ethics that would align with my outlook, but you are correct, I certainly do agree with Mr. Butker's point of view when it comes to straight marriage.  

My point was simply that continually exposing oneself to a single point of view inevitably leads to confirmation bias, which absolutely prevents real critical thinking. If you really want to do your due diligence to give you the highest probability that you’re on the “right” side of an issue, you have to assess both sides — and not as filtered through your ideological colleagues. 

Posted (edited)

Well I guess my 1970's era understanding of "right" and "wrong" that my Christian father and mother instilled in me hasn't evolved into anything much different over my lifetime.  I'm OK with that.....So I guess I'm old fashioned in a sense.  Maybe that's why it is refreshing to me to hear a mid-20's guy that shares some of my values articulate his beliefs so well.  Gives me a little more hope for our future I suppose.

Edited by swordfish

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

Well I guess my 1970's era understanding of "right" and "wrong" that my Christian father and mother instilled in me hasn't evolved into anything much different over my lifetime.  I'm OK with that.....So I guess I'm old fashioned in a sense.  Maybe that's why it is refreshing to me to hear a mid-20's guy that shares some of my values articulate his beliefs so well.  Gives me a little more hope for our future I suppose.

So you can't empathize well.

39 minutes ago, Robert said:

So you can't empathize well.

Yeah but my Caliper test showed empathy as one of strongest character traits.....So I got that going for me.....That and my stability....

• 2 weeks later...