Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  47 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Random Topics.......

swordfish

11 hours ago, swordfish said:

SF can believe that eventually electric powered cars COULD POTENTIALLY EVENTUALLY have a huge presence in the market

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39998609/ev-sales-turning-point/

From the Article:

After a decade of slow but steady sales growth, electric vehicle registrations in the U.S. shot up 60 percent in the first quarter of 2022 even as overall new car registrations dropped 18 percent.

Cox Automotive’s estimate of the EV market share for the first quarter of 2022, for example, was 5.2 percent compared to 2.5 percent in 2021.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/16/familys-hidden-message-on-dads-gravestone-sparks-controversy/

It’s a grave situation.

A family put an encoded message on their father’s gravestone as a way to honor him, but the cemetery staff finds it offensive.

At the Warren-Powers Cemetery in Polk, Iowa, the quote on Steven Paul Owens’ stone seems harmless upon first glance — until the epitaph is revealed. The first letter of each line on his tombstone reads “f–k off.”

When speaking to WIBW news, the family said that this was a phrase that Steven often used in a joking manner. 

“It was definitely his term of endearment. If he didn’t like you, he didn’t speak to you. It’s just who he was,” daughter Lindsay Owens told WIBW news.

A lasting memory!!  🤣

• Haha 1

Let's Applaud the 10-Year-Old Who Walked to School Every Day for 4 Years

https://reason.com/2022/06/20/max-mcpartlin-walk-to-school-every-day/

Michigan story getting a lot of attention for reasons you can probably figure out on your own is headlined: "10-year-old Grosse Pointe Park boy walked to school every day for 4 years."

The story adds: "He plans to keep the streak going."

It's a real headline, a real kid, and a real indication of all sorts of rather depressing things about America. But first off, let's be clear: Good for that ten-year-old! I grew up in the Midwest, and I know how ridiculously cold and snowy the winter months can be.

The six-sentence news story explains that the kid—Max McPartlin—just graduated from Maire Elementary School. Throughout his career as a walker, his parents frequently offered to give him rides, but he always refused. Some days, he walked with them, or with friends; on other days, he walked alone.

Next year, McPartlin will be attending a middle school even farther from his home. Nonetheless, he plans to keep on self-mobilizing, perhaps with the help of a bike.

The friend who forwarded me this story noted that McPartlin attended the same elementary school that she used to walk to every day, back when this wasn't front page news. She added that most of the students also came home for lunch, so they walked it twice—and the crossing guards were sixth graders. Everyone had to put on their snow clothes and boots themselves. Of course, she noted, this was also the era of climbing a two-story rope in gym.

Commenters on the piece were divided into two camps: yay kid and this is a story? For my part, I'm just thrilled that McPartlin's behavior is being treated like an achievement and not a crime.

Other families weren't so lucky. Recall the South Carolina mom who desperately wanted her kids to walk home from school, but the principal wouldn't allow it, even if the mom signed a waiver. Or the mom in Wilmette, Illinois (my hometown) who was investigated for letting her eight-year-old walk the dog. Or the famous Meitivs of Maryland, hounded by the state for allowing their kids, then six and ten, to walk home from the park unsupervised. Childhood independence has become so denormalized, so quickly, only about 10 percent of kids walk to school anymore.

So let's hear it for McPartlin. A kid roaming the streets on his own is like an endangered species: once common, now rare, and worth trying to bring back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.analyzingamerica.org/2022/07/662762/?fbclid=IwAR1IcGjG0r8okgKRwb4JVc-aK6daRnJPMsOtbjcfO08FTHT8WPjRhZ_MBhY

In court, the officer said, “I will take those bullets instead of a fellow officer or innocent bystander. If there was a coward on that day, it was Kevin Rojas. When I brought the fight back, you ran like a coward.”

“So, I got a little gift for you,” he said, putting a bottle of KY Jelly lubricant on the witness stand in front him. “You’re going to need a lot of this where you’re going little man.”

Rojas was not allowed to take the officer’s gift with him to prison.

Cop gives convict who shot him 4 times a tube of KY Jelly during his victims impact statement......

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  https://apnews.com/article/choco-taco-discontinued-1ce9f619c7f6edda75379b234c8818ba

A tech millionaire offered to buy it. A U.S. senator suggested that the government should force manufacturers to make it.

But so far, Klondike isn’t budging from its plan to discontinue the Choco Taco.

Klondike confirmed Tuesday that the summer treat is being pulled from ice cream trucks, convenience stores and grocery shelves.

“Over the past two years, we have experienced an unprecedented spike in demand across our portfolio and have had to make very tough decisions to ensure availability of our full portfolio nationwide,” a Klondike representative said in an email. “A necessary but unfortunate part of this process is that we sometimes must discontinue products, even a beloved item like Choco Taco.”

You are now dead to me Klondike.  I will never buy again purchase any of your products.

• 9 months later...

In the year 2023 - SF shouldn't be surprised by the level of abnormal craziness this year.......Never would have imagined SI would put an 81 year old on the cover.......I mean, yeah she looks good for 81 - no doubt, but SI Cover-girl ?  Could have been worse I guess.....

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/martha-stewart-81-lands-sports-illustrated-cover-poses-daring-swimsuit

Martha Stewart has made history as the oldest woman to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit issue.

Stewart, 81, posed in a daring swimsuit as she revealed how she prepped for the photo shoot.

"I didn't starve myself, but I didn't eat any bread or pasta for a couple of months," Stewart said during the "Today" show. "I went to Pilates every other day and that was great; I'm still going to Pilates every other day 'cause it's so great. And I just, I live a clean life anyway – good diet and good exercise and healthy skincare and all of that stuff."

Martha Stewart in Sports Illustrated

"I mean, they were prodding me and pinching me and pouring water all over my head! ... There's no tricks. They tell you you look okay. That's nice. They sort of reinforce that it's okay to be doing what you're doing."

The former cooking show star remembered how she was "shaking" after seeing the cover photo for the first time. Stewart posed in nine different swimsuits during the island photo shoot. The TV personality said the cover photo "turned out okay."

Stewart noted she got "good" genes from her mother.

"My mom was my role model," Stewart explained. "After four kids, she was still wearing a two-piece bathing suit. And she still had two more after that, and she was still wearing a two-piece bathing suit, so that's pretty fabulous. My genes are good."

The businesswoman explained her life philosophy does not focus on aging but "good living" instead. 

"I think all of us should think about good living, successfully living, and not aging. The whole aging thing is so boring. You know what I mean?" Stewart said. "I have a hospital called the Center for Living at Mt. Sinai. I started this hospital with Mt. Sinai and it's all about growing old gracefully. We don't think about aging, we think about successful living, and we try to install in people the desire to eat well, exercise well, have friends to have pets – to do all the things that make you happy as you get older. So that's what I'm all about."

17 hours ago, swordfish said:

In the year 2023 - SF shouldn't be surprised by the level of abnormal craziness this year.......Never would have imagined SI would put an 81 year old on the cover.......I mean, yeah she looks good for 81 - no doubt, but SI Cover-girl ?  Could have been worse I guess.....

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/martha-stewart-81-lands-sports-illustrated-cover-poses-daring-swimsuit

Hmm. I wonder what the level of photoshopping going on here is?

• 1 month later...

As an outsider looking in on this issue, the first thought that comes to mind is that the locales with the strictest gun laws are typically urban areas with comparatively dense populations … areas where the market for handguns is characterized by high demand. If the point to be made is that a patchwork quilt of jurisdictions with hard/impossible to enforce laws restricting firearm use or ownership is unlikely to be successful in competing against those market forces, no argument from me.

• 3 weeks later...

SF normally keeps the Edy's single serving size tubs from the Dollar General by the house handy in the freezer, and on occasion they get in the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ben & Jerry's that I like as well.  This story won't change SF's penchant for good B & J ice cream, but I have to wonder why, if you are a company that makes great ice cream, don't you just stick to that instead of letting some idiot marketing person pop off a personal attitude tweet about your resident country and alienate (probably more than half) your market?  Seriously, you just cost your Corporate ownership a load of money and some goodwill that is tough to come by and tough to hold onto......

https://nypost.com/2023/07/06/ben-jerrys-boycott-calls-unilever-stock-falls/

Ben & Jerry’s parent company has lost roughly $2.5 billion in market cap amid calls to boycott the Vermont-based ice cream maker over a July 4 tweet condemning the US for existing on “stolen Indigenous land.”

Shares of Unilever, the Anglo-Dutch multinational firm, slid as much as 1% at Thursday’s opening bell after closing down .5% the previous day.

The company’s stock price has fallen to roughly $51 after closing at $52.28 during Monday’s shortened trading — and the day before Ben & Jerry’s posted its unpatriotic tweet.

The result has seen its market cap drop to $131 billion from the roughly $133.5 billion on Monday.

Ben & Jerry’s, which was acquired by Unilever but whose board remains independent in voicing its views on political issues, said the July 4 celebrations can “distract from an essential truth about this nation’s birth.”

“This 4th of July, it’s high time we recognize that the US exists on stolen Indigenous land and commit to returning it,” the brand’s official Twitter account and a statement on Ben & Jerry’s website trumpeted.

“The faces on Mount Rushmore are the faces of men who actively worked to destroy Indigenous cultures and ways of life, to deny Indigenous people their basic rights.”

The tweet and the statement prompted social media users to call for a boycott of the ice cream maker — echoing the reaction to Bud Light’s recent partnership with transgender social media influencer Dylan Mulvaney.

“Make @benndjerrys Bud Light again,” one Twitter user commented.

“Just when you think @benandjerrys couldn’t go any lower – they pull this stunt. Boycott Ben and Jerry’s,” another Twitter user wrote.

Ben & Jerry's landed in hot water over the Independence Day holiday weekend when it posted a tweet that read: “This 4th of July, it’s high time we recognize that the US exists on stolen Indigenous land and commit to returning it.” On Wednesday, Unilever was called out for its hypocrisy over continuing to sell its Cornetto ice cream and other products in Russia in defiance of calls to exit the country over its invasion of Ukraine — while criticizing the US.

Last year, Unilever’s subsidiaries paid $331 million in taxes to the Kremlin, according to reports.

Unilever has defended its decision to continue operations in Russia, saying that leaving the country is “not straightforward.”

If the company pulled up stakes and left Russia, its 3,000 employees and its brands “would be appropriated — and then operated — by the Russian state,” according to the statement.

“In addition, we do not think it is right to abandon our people in Russia,” the firm said.

The Post has sought comment from Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s.

Ben & Jerry’s has been the subject of prior boycott calls over its refusal to sell its ice cream in the Israeli settlements built on the West Bank.

The company ended up suing its corporate parent after it sold the famous brand to a local Israeli licensee who resumed selling ice cream under the Ben & Jerry’s name.

17 hours ago, swordfish said:

SF normally keeps the Edy's single serving size tubs from the Dollar General by the house handy in the freezer, and on occasion they get in the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ben & Jerry's that I like as well.  This story won't change SF's penchant for good B & J ice cream, but I have to wonder why, if you are a company that makes great ice cream, don't you just stick to that instead of letting some idiot marketing person pop off a personal attitude tweet about your resident country and alienate (probably more than half) your market?  Seriously, you just cost your Corporate ownership a load of money and some goodwill that is tough to come by and tough to hold onto......

https://nypost.com/2023/07/06/ben-jerrys-boycott-calls-unilever-stock-falls/

Ben & Jerry’s parent company has lost roughly $2.5 billion in market cap amid calls to boycott the Vermont-based ice cream maker over a July 4 tweet condemning the US for existing on “stolen Indigenous land.”

Shares of Unilever, the Anglo-Dutch multinational firm, slid as much as 1% at Thursday’s opening bell after closing down .5% the previous day.

The company’s stock price has fallen to roughly $51 after closing at $52.28 during Monday’s shortened trading — and the day before Ben & Jerry’s posted its unpatriotic tweet.

The result has seen its market cap drop to $131 billion from the roughly $133.5 billion on Monday.

Ben & Jerry’s, which was acquired by Unilever but whose board remains independent in voicing its views on political issues, said the July 4 celebrations can “distract from an essential truth about this nation’s birth.”

“This 4th of July, it’s high time we recognize that the US exists on stolen Indigenous land and commit to returning it,” the brand’s official Twitter account and a statement on Ben & Jerry’s website trumpeted.

“The faces on Mount Rushmore are the faces of men who actively worked to destroy Indigenous cultures and ways of life, to deny Indigenous people their basic rights.”

The tweet and the statement prompted social media users to call for a boycott of the ice cream maker — echoing the reaction to Bud Light’s recent partnership with transgender social media influencer Dylan Mulvaney.

“Make @benndjerrys Bud Light again,” one Twitter user commented.

“Just when you think @benandjerrys couldn’t go any lower – they pull this stunt. Boycott Ben and Jerry’s,” another Twitter user wrote.

Ben & Jerry's landed in hot water over the Independence Day holiday weekend when it posted a tweet that read: “This 4th of July, it’s high time we recognize that the US exists on stolen Indigenous land and commit to returning it.” On Wednesday, Unilever was called out for its hypocrisy over continuing to sell its Cornetto ice cream and other products in Russia in defiance of calls to exit the country over its invasion of Ukraine — while criticizing the US.

Last year, Unilever’s subsidiaries paid $331 million in taxes to the Kremlin, according to reports.

Unilever has defended its decision to continue operations in Russia, saying that leaving the country is “not straightforward.”

If the company pulled up stakes and left Russia, its 3,000 employees and its brands “would be appropriated — and then operated — by the Russian state,” according to the statement.

“In addition, we do not think it is right to abandon our people in Russia,” the firm said.

The Post has sought comment from Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s.

Ben & Jerry’s has been the subject of prior boycott calls over its refusal to sell its ice cream in the Israeli settlements built on the West Bank.

The company ended up suing its corporate parent after it sold the famous brand to a local Israeli licensee who resumed selling ice cream under the Ben & Jerry’s name.

IO loves him some ice cream, but alas will never know what B&J’s tastes like. The founders were lunatics and apparently whoever owns them now shop at the same gene pool. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

IO loves him some ice cream, but alas will never know what B&J’s tastes like. The founders were lunatics and apparently whoever owns them now shop at the same gene pool. 

If you had ever tasted their Topped PB, you wouldn’t care if the CEO was Satan himself.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

If you had ever tasted their Topped PB, you wouldn’t care if the CEO was Satan himself.

BR is right though, (IMHO) the B&J Ice Cream itself is mediocre, but the concoctions and different flavorings of built-in toppings is almost divine.  So the level of left-wing craziness you need to come up with some of that stuff is to be expected and tolerated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

BR is right though, (IMHO) the B&J Ice Cream itself is mediocre, but the concoctions and different flavorings of built-in toppings is almost divine.  So the level of left-wing craziness you need to come up with some of that stuff is to be expected and tolerated.

I guess I’ll never know. I’m not actively boycotting, I’m not getting in anyone’s grill about eating B&J, make yourself happy. I just don’t have to support such nonsense. 
Has the US done some stuff we shouldn’t be proud of, absolutely, does that negate all of the good? I guess that’s for every individual to decide, I just have a real issue with people bashing the US, democracy, and capitalism while all the while enjoying the fruits of such institutions. WTF has B&J done for native Americans?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I guess I’ll never know. I’m not actively boycotting, I’m not getting in anyone’s grill about eating B&J, make yourself happy. I just don’t have to support such nonsense. 
Has the US done some stuff we shouldn’t be proud of, absolutely, does that negate all of the good? I guess that’s for every individual to decide, I just have a real issue with people bashing the US, democracy, and capitalism while all the while enjoying the fruits of such institutions. WTF has B&J done for native Americans?

I guess my viewpoint is that I don’t see buying ice cream as “supporting” some type of political opinions. Just like going to see a movie that has Jane Fonda in it is not “supporting” her political stance on the Vietnam War. 

Edited by Bobref

48 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I guess my viewpoint is that I don’t see buying ice cream as “supporting” some type of political opinions. Just like going to see a movie that has Jane Fonda in it is not “supporting” her political stance on the Vietnam War. 

I’m sure whoever owns B&J will be just fine as I’m sure B&J are, even without my support. Besides, I’m a loyal guy, and between my homemade ice cream, which will result in a diabetic coma, and Breyers, I’m happy with my current suppliers. 

Does anyone actually think Unilever is going to just "give it back"?

https://www.outkick.com/native-americans-ben-jerrys-land-back-abenaki-nation/

A Native American tribe in Vermont wants its land back from Ben & Jerry’s after the company’s 4th of July message.

Instead of celebrating America like the rest of the country, the woke ice cream company decided to spend Independence Day attacking the USA and claiming the country exists on stolen land.

Ben & Jerry’s demanded land be returned to Native American people. Well, it might be time for the ice cream company to put its money where its mouth is.

Native American tribe demands Ben & Jerry’s returns its land.

Nulhegan Band of The Coosuk Abenaki Nation Chief Don Stevens informed Newsweek he’s very interested in getting the land Ben & Jerry’s headquarters is on because it originally belonged to his tribe.

He told the publicaltion the tribe was “always interested in reclaiming the stewardship of our lands.” However, Ben & Jerry’s doesn’t seem interested in playing ball. As of Friday, the company had not reached out to Stevens to broker a deal that would see the land return to the original owners.

“If and when we are approached, many conversations and discussions will need to take place to determine the best path forward for all involved,” Stevens explained.

Ben & Jerry’s headquarters “sits on a vast swathe of U.S. territory that was under the auspices of the Abenaki people before colonization,” according to the same Newsweek report.

This was destined to happen.

It was only a matter of time before people realized whether or not any Ben & Jerry’s locations or property existed on land previously occupied by Native Americans.

Turns out, the company’s headquarters are on land formerly controlled by Native Americans. Yet, as of Saturday, Ben & Jerry’s hasn’t begun the process of demolishing its headquarters in Vermont.

Why not? Doesn’t Ben & Jerry’s believe in returning all land in the United States to Native American tribes? That’s what the company declared on the 4th of July.

Or was it just woke virtue signaling? Because if the ice cream brand is serious, it should have vacated its headquarters days ago.

We’ve reached out to Ben & Jerry’s to see if the land will be returned and what the timeline is to get it done. Stay tuned for any developments.

• Like 1