Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2023 Packers season

Irishman

Missing Starters

LG, LT, RB, WR1, CB, and lose a starting LB in the game. 

So many penalties in the first half, the Packers kept shooting themselves in the foot. Even in the 3rd quarter, it did not look good. LaFleur goes for a 4th down in FG range and misses it. But from that point on, the team locked in. Defense stepped up, and the offense started clicking. What a great comeback win. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What was looking like a season of a struggling young team now has the Pack thinking playoffs. The last two weeks have been impressive. Jordan Love looked the best I have seen him all season. He took some air out from under his throws and there were a few that were lasers. Early on it just looked like he was trying to finesses everything in to his receivers. There are still times where LaFleur gets too pass happy though, and they let KC back in the game in the 2nd half. He has to stick to the run game. That sets up the play action game, and he really put the KC defense in a bind. But once you start throwing every down, they are able to make plays and get stops. 

All that said, no one is close to the level the 9ers are on. They are getting healthy at the right time. While the AFC looks wide open, they are running away with the NFC. 

• 2 weeks later...

MNF was one of the ugliest and sloppiest games I can remember seeing in a long time. Packers sucked in all 3 phases. This is the team that got them into the 2-5 hole, not the one that won 4 straight. They failed in all 3 phases of the game. Throw in some poorly timed and stupid penalties; it was a bad combo. MLF is right back on my shit list for this one. Pass route concepts make little sense. Defensive failures were brutal. DeVondre Campbell covering a slot receiver on an out and up route? WTF? So frustrating to watch. 

MLF outcoached again. Your RB is averaging 4 yards a carry early in the game and he still abandons it. I really thought he turned a corner with the wins over the Lions and Chiefs, but the last 2 games have been embarrassing. And the defense; guys look lost. So many 3rd down conversions given up. They also give up first downs when the Bucs had 20 plus yards to go more than a couple times. LaFleur's press conferences just show he is in over his head. It's obvious the defense needs a shake up. I was never a big fan of the yelling for Barry to be fired as DC. But two weeks in a row, you have a LB covering slot receivers getting burned. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Welp, they made the playoffs. After the Giants game, I was certain they would not make it. And to beat the Bears to get in.....even better. 

One really cool moment during the game...After a commercial break, the camera outside the stadium is showing Kroll's West. And Jim Nantz raves about the butter burgers and the fried cheese curds. 

Growing up in the late late 60's and early 70's, we were in Green Bay every Summer as kids visiting our grandparents and dad's cousins (turned out they were his half brothers and sister). Our Great Uncle (who was a school mate and friend of Curly Lambeau) and his wife (who was actually our dad's biological mom) lived just around the corner from the original Kroll's, no called Kroll's East. So many great memories came back with him mentioning that. If you are ever up there, I highly recommend it. 

image.png

Posted this originally in the wrong season lol 

Whoa! Did not see that one coming. Two observations:

1. The Love kid can really play. Looks like the Packers hit the QB lottery … again.
  2. There has to be a scapegoat in Dallas. Dan Quinn, the DC was thought to be bulletproof and headed to a HC job somewhere. Is this the year Jerry decides that Mike McCarthy has taken them as far as he can, and they need someone else to get them the rest of the way? Do not miss Steven A. Smith’s inevitable rant about the Cowboys on First Take tomorrow morning.
  • Like 2

While I felt the Packers would play well, I did not expect this either. 

With names like Bellichick and Vrabel out there and available, I am guessing this did McCarthy in. Losing in a close, hard fought game, he is likely safe. But being crushed the way they were......no way he survives. 

I think it also hurts Quinn's chances, or at least causes some hesitation. 

I too cannot wait for Stephen A's take in the morning. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Irishman said:

I am guessing this did McCarthy in

If that’s the case, it’s ironic that a game where he finally demonstrated he can manage the clock properly (the drive that ended with a TD and :00 on the clock to close the 1st half) got him fired.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

If that’s the case, it’s ironic that a game where he finally demonstrated he can manage the clock properly (the drive that ended with a TD and :00 on the clock to close the 1st half) got him fired.

But it would be a classic Jerry Jones move. Clock/game management was one issue I had with McCarthy when he was in Green Bay.

I am not saying he should or should not be fired. There are other issues with that team. As Bradshaw pointed out in the post game show though, you went 12-5 3 years in a row and have nothing to show for it. 

• Like 1

Great game, but DAMMIT..........once Jones ran for 53 yards, you HAVE to put the game away following that. While they exceeded expectations, it's still frustrating to see them lose this way. They played to not lose; sat back in soft coverage and did not pressure Purdy. 

That said, nobody in the NFC will be able to hang with the Ravens. 

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

Great game, but DAMMIT..........once Jones ran for 53 yards, you HAVE to put the game away following that. While they exceeded expectations, it's still frustrating to see them lose this way. They played to not lose; sat back in soft coverage and did not pressure Purdy. 

That said, nobody in the NFC will be able to hang with the Ravens. 

You have to be pretty pumped about the future. Never one play, but missed FG hurt in Q4. Excellent game!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

You have to be pretty pumped about the future. Never one play, but missed FG hurt in Q4. Excellent game!! 

Yep, as much as it pains me to say, I think that both losing quarterbacks yesterday may very well be the future of the league.

• Like 1