Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The NCAA is unfixable — it punished Ferris State’s football program for smoking victory cigars

Muda69

https://deadspin.com/ferris-state-tony-annese-cigars-suspension-ncaa-1850273580

Some things don’t have redeemable qualities, like the NCAA. In an under-the-radar recent news story, it was revealed that Ferris State’s football program was fined $15,000 for the damages that occurred after winning their second consecutive Division II national championship back in December. The crime? Smoking victory cigars and trying to take wall stickers as souvenirs.

This is not an early April Fool’s Day joke. It really happened.

“I continue to be proud of the Ferris State University football program and Coach (Tony) Annese. I understand the concerns raised by the NCAA and we accept the responsibility for our actions and we will work to ensure this does not happen again in the future. I support the efforts that Coach Annese continues to take to improve the football program for the betterment of the students we serve at Ferris State University,” said FSU’s Athletic Director Steve Brockelbank.

According to The Big Rapids Pioneer, “FSU is to pay $15,383 in restitution to McKinney Independent School District for cleaning and repairs; a $2,500 fine; and one-game suspension for coach Tony Annese from coaching the next NCAA championship playoff game, in addition to the public reprimand.

This is a new low for the NCAA.

“As a coaching staff, each day leading up to the National Championship game, we had reminded our players that smoking cigars in celebration would not be allowed,” said Annese. “My team was fully aware that the actions of the two players were inappropriate. No matter how minor the actions may seem, young people need to understand that there are consequences for their actions. We will address these concerns and continue to have a strong, positive football program that represents Ferris State University on and off the field.”

I guess Joe Burrow ruined the fun for everybody when he sparked up after LSU won the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship Game.

Yep. Curse you Joe Burrow!

1 hour ago, ragdoll said:

When was the NCAA a necessary, reasonable organization? Seems like all my life, it was terrible politics and just kept getting worse. Anyone with any thoughts?

You make a good point. It's the "getting worse" part that bothers me the most. Thank God for high school sports. Still some integrity there. 

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

All it takes is for the P5 to start their own BB tournament and the NCAA is done. Basically do what they did in Football. 

I don't think the P5 is at all interested in organizing the championships in all the other sports or having anything to do with governance, enforcement, or eligibility. But that's just a hunch as to why the NCAA still exists. 

14 hours ago, PDB26 said:

I don't think the P5 is at all interested in organizing the championships in all the other sports or having anything to do with governance, enforcement, or eligibility. But that's just a hunch as to why the NCAA still exists. 

Everyone involved is interested in one thing, MONEY. And March Madness =$$$

On 3/30/2023 at 12:32 PM, ragdoll said:

When was the NCAA a necessary, reasonable organization? Seems like all my life, it was terrible politics and just kept getting worse. Anyone with any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Everyone involved is interested in one thing, MONEY. And March Madness =$$$

Indeed.

The fact is the NCAA and all of its operations, including the organization of all sports championships at all levels outside of D1 football, are funded exclusively by the revenues from the basketball tournament.

Does the P5 want to create a successor administrative body to oversee D1 athletics when the NCAA no longer has funding to do what it does? The NCAA exists because the members want it to, or, at least they don't want to come up with a new administrative structure.

Would a P5–only basketball tournament have the same value as the current NCAA tournament? Or is it the same tournament just administered by the P5? 

What to do about running championships for all other NCAA sports?

The NCAA is an easy target, but as an 11,000 member association it's a pretty slow turning boat.

Regarding the Ferris case, it seems like an odd thing for folks to get upset about.

18 hours ago, PDB26 said:

Indeed.

The fact is the NCAA and all of its operations, including the organization of all sports championships at all levels outside of D1 football, are funded exclusively by the revenues from the basketball tournament.

Does the P5 want to create a successor administrative body to oversee D1 athletics when the NCAA no longer has funding to do what it does? The NCAA exists because the members want it to, or, at least they don't want to come up with a new administrative structure.

Would a P5–only basketball tournament have the same value as the current NCAA tournament? Or is it the same tournament just administered by the P5? 

What to do about running championships for all other NCAA sports?

The NCAA is an easy target, but as an 11,000 member association it's a pretty slow turning boat.

Regarding the Ferris case, it seems like an odd thing for folks to get upset about.

Dude I’m well aware of who/what the NCAA is/does. The question was posed and I answered it. I offered no opinion on the ramifications of such a move.