Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DAC previews & predictions

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Quite a list. How can a school with so many D1 recruits struggle so much?

I wouldn’t say struggle is appearing in the final 4 

4times in 5 years? Now breaking the Indy barrier. Well there could be many different reasons. I do truly believe that the north has better athletes but with that said the central/south (mainly Indy) have more opportunities when it comes to development for players. And they have most of the top coaches. The DAC was behind the ball for years when it came to developing the players. But they are slowly getting on track. Crown point just built an indoor facility. Lake central I believe has one. Merrillville has approved plans to build one. That will bring better strength and conditioning programs and more room for multiple kids to hit the grind. Merrillville weight room is honestly small for a 5/6A school. They do must of there training in the field house no weights. They do a lot of agility and speed training. Because they have to share the small room with many other teams from other sports. Valpo has probably around the same amount of D1s as merrillville and yes they won state which is great. But I don’t think any of the Valpo teams the 4 years prior would have don’t any better than merrillvile in 6A. Those teams would have lost to carmel/Westfield also. Indy is still ahead. But in a few years I think the DAC will close the gap some. And I will go on a limb and say the first north 6A state title team will not be crown point. It will end up being Valpo/merrillvile when they both are in 6A again. 

12 minutes ago, DACNUT88 said:

I wouldn’t say struggle is appearing in the final 4 

4times in 5 years? Now breaking the Indy barrier. Well there could be many different reasons. I do truly believe that the north has better athletes but with that said the central/south (mainly Indy) have more opportunities when it comes to development for players. And they have most of the top coaches. The DAC was behind the ball for years when it came to developing the players. But they are slowly getting on track. Crown point just built an indoor facility. Lake central I believe has one. Merrillville has approved plans to build one. That will bring better strength and conditioning programs and more room for multiple kids to hit the grind. Merrillville weight room is honestly small for a 5/6A school. They do must of there training in the field house no weights. They do a lot of agility and speed training. Because they have to share the small room with many other teams from other sports. Valpo has probably around the same amount of D1s as merrillville and yes they won state which is great. But I don’t think any of the Valpo teams the 4 years prior would have don’t any better than merrillvile in 6A. Those teams would have lost to carmel/Westfield also. Indy is still ahead. But in a few years I think the DAC will close the gap some. And I will go on a limb and say the first north 6A state title team will not be crown point. It will end up being Valpo/merrillvile when they both are in 6A again. 

I'm going Carroll on that bet 

15 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I'm going Carroll on that bet 

Carroll is interesting but 2 years doesn’t really prove much. Before last two years they were ehh I’m not sure if the talent pool was good or if coach finally learned to close games out. But I’m hearing their defense might be a tad less dominant this year. They will definitely be a semistate contending team every year. And right now with them in 5A I’ll give FW the 6A north. Unless Penn ever shows back up 

4 hours ago, DACNUT88 said:

I’ll say the ones I know off the top of my head for merrillville. 

merrillville: 

jo jo Johnson: Notre dame(tore ACL)  then transfer to IU 

dierre Kelly (bowling green)

justin Marshall (Colorado state) 

Lavarion logan ( Illinois state)

kenneth grant (Michigan) 

Jordan Magee (Toledo then transferred out of D1 to Marion university) probably should of been there in 1st place.

phillip gunn: ball state 

jerimiah Howard: northern Illinois 

Peter Rodriguez: started at auroura university and then walked on a played at IU. 

Martes Lewis: university of Minnesota. 

justin Ramsey: ball state 

Here is a link to all of merrillvilles college athletes for just football all levels! These are where they started not where they finished either. But 60% finished in D2 or NAIA which is cool. Any extra education is great. Link also can take you to view all the other sports at merrillville and who went where. 

https://merrillvillepirates.com/sports/2020/4/29/football-alumni.aspx?id=179

Valpo and crown point I know both have at least 5-6 in the last few years. But don’t really feel like looking them all up 😂

That's a lot of off the top of your head knowledge for someone whose kids play for both Lake Central and Portage, lol. How abou tyou look amount the amount of D1 recruits out of the SAC in the past few years while researching Valpo and Crown Point?Not only will you see you're wrong, but you're also trying to compare guys who went MAC or lower to guys starting on Power Conference Rosters. 

By the way, IF Merrillville ever finds their way into 6A again, why are you so sure they're going to win State? Guys like JoJo Johnson and Kenneth grant don't come around often and Merrillville was still clobbered by Westfield 2 years straight. Throw in Chatard as well. Merrillville, with their plethora of D1 recruits, hasn't actually proven they can win a high stakes game outside of NWI opponents. 

Besides, the Pirates are no longer the dominant NWI team. Wait until they get back to that level before resorting back to the empty promises of the Pirates winning a State Title. Right now, those convos are only for your friends at 5959 Broadway and in Valpo.

1 hour ago, DACNUT88 said:

Carroll is interesting but 2 years doesn’t really prove much. Before last two years they were ehh I’m not sure if the talent pool was good or if coach finally learned to close games out. But I’m hearing their defense might be a tad less dominant this year. They will definitely be a semistate contending team every year. And right now with them in 5A I’ll give FW the 6A north. Unless Penn ever shows back up 

The 6A North runs through Hamilton County every year as long as they are sent North. A Fort Wayne Carroll, Homestead, Penn, Crown Point, Lafayette Jeff, etc. 6A North win would only be an exception to the rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

That's a lot of off the top of your head knowledge for someone whose kids play for both Lake Central and Portage, lol. How abou tyou look amount the amount of D1 recruits out of the SAC in the past few years while researching Valpo and Crown Point?Not only will you see you're wrong, but you're also trying to compare guys who went MAC or lower to guys starting on Power Conference Rosters. 

By the way, IF Merrillville ever finds their way into 6A again, why are you so sure they're going to win State? Guys like JoJo Johnson and Kenneth grant don't come around often and Merrillville was still clobbered by Westfield 2 years straight. Throw in Chatard as well. Merrillville, with their plethora of D1 recruits, hasn't actually proven they can win a high stakes game outside of NWI opponents. 

Besides, the Pirates are no longer the dominant NWI team. Wait until they get back to that level before resorting back to the empty promises of the Pirates winning a State Title. Right now, those convos are only for your friends at 5959 Broadway and in Valpo.

I graduated from merrillville lol 😂 in 85 my heart will always love the pirates. Plus my kid just came in the school

4 minutes ago, DACNUT88 said:

I graduated from merrillville lol 😂 in 85 my heart will always love the pirates. Plus my kid just came in the school

You're passion for high school football is admirable, but you put too much value in your own area and not enough in others without facts to back up your statements. 

14 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I’m sorry but you really think Andrean is dominate? Then you didn’t see how bad they were smashed by merrillville and crown point recently. 

valpo I have no argument for except coaching cost merrillville in the regional last year. Why would you move your most effective weapon from RB to WR for the first time all year (Justin Marshall) he started the first drive at RB then I’m not sure he ran the ball much after that. They rotated in like 4-5 others at RB and moved Marshall to slot. 

Westfield well that’s a whole different story. The 2nd game westfield smacked them. That 1st game… at merrillville. Is questionable. With a ref being out of position at the end of the 1st half. It went from a potential merrillville 8 point lead. To a Westfield 6 point lead and then Westfield struck on the 1st drive of 2nd to make it a 2 possession game. 

but who am I. I’m just a fan. And everyone knows jojo Johnson catch was 3 feet down in end zone but it was called incomplete and that he was out the back of end zone. 🤷🏽‍♂️ not saying Merrillville wins game 1 but the game is called alt differently when you have a lead than being 2 possessions behind 

1 minute ago, DACNUT88 said:

I’m sorry but you really think Andrean is dominate? Then you didn’t see how bad they were smashed by merrillville and crown point recently. 

valpo I have no argument for except coaching cost merrillville in the regional last year. Why would you move your most effective weapon from RB to WR for the first time all year (Justin Marshall) he started the first drive at RB then I’m not sure he ran the ball much after that. They rotated in like 4-5 others at RB and moved Marshall to slot. 

Westfield well that’s a whole different story. The 2nd game westfield smacked them. That 1st game… at merrillville. Is questionable. With a ref being out of position at the end of the 1st half. It went from a potential merrillville 8 point lead. To a Westfield 6 point lead and then Westfield struck on the 1st drive of 2nd to make it a 2 possession game. 

but who am I. I’m just a fan. And everyone knows jojo Johnson catch was 3 feet down in end zone but it was called incomplete and that he was out the back of end zone. 🤷🏽‍♂️ not saying Merrillville wins game 1 but the game is called alt differently when you have a lead than being 2 possessions behind 

Re: Andrean, I was referring to the fact they have recent State Titles and their fans can legitimately talk about winning another. At this point it's just a pipedream for Merrillville fans. As for the rest, just a bunch of Parkhurst excuses. You either win or you don't. The rest is conjecture. 

19 hours ago, DACNUT88 said:

Merrillville the last 5 years has 7? Or 8? Just from them. Valpo I know has 6-7

crown point has at least 4-5 

Chesterton had a few. It’s definitely an interesting topic. But I think if you got last 10 years the DAC has it for football. Now if you combine all sports I have no idea. Because the DAC is deep in a lot of sports like wrestling/baseball/softball/ basketball (girls) im Sure FW is too 

Btw everyone should check the FB page because Cody called y’all out lol 😂 I told y’all he wasn’t on this page 

You might not be that boy named Cody but you had the same English teacher. I swear to God you did! I gotta go 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BTF said:

Jaylon Smith at 53 and Vaughn Dunbar at 149? Lol, no thanks. I'd put Vaughn Dunbar up against any running back that's ever come out of this state. 

Jaylon probably at 53 due to being at Luers, if he was at any of the bigger schools he would be top 20- 30?? Dunbar could be too low, looked like a lot of RB's above him played in 1950 or before, but I tend to agree with your statement. I do agree with #1 though. 

5 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

You might not be that boy named Cody but you had the same English teacher. I swear to God you did! I gotta go 

Maybe that is the quality of the education der in da region. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Interesting for sure. Per the rankings explanation it puts heavy stock into professional stats only, which would explain why obscure names from the mid 1900's are rated so high. I'm just amazed a database like that even exists.

On 7/15/2023 at 4:03 PM, DACNUT88 said:

Over last 5-7 years the quality of talent has been majorly in the DAC favor. And if y’all wanna know who I am just ask.  

North Side alone has three kids being recruited by major D1 programs. A Notre Dame commitment and two others with leans toward Indiana and Purdue. New Haven (basically a  Fort Wayne suburb) has a kid committed to Ohio State. Wayne has a kid getting D1 offers. I haven't even mentioned Snider, Carroll, Dwenger, Luers, Homestead, or Carroll. I think you'll find that Fort Wayne can hold it's own against all areas of the state in terms of D1 talent. 

Been passing by Kiwanis field the last few weekday evenings. Looks like Laporte has summer camp/practices going on. 20-25 kids there.... Didn't see too many big bodies so maybe it's more 7-7 and lineman aren't there but either way it didn't look too pretty for a 5A school. All signs point to a long season in Laporte. 

1 hour ago, npcougar15 said:

Been passing by Kiwanis field the last few weekday evenings. Looks like Laporte has summer camp/practices going on. 20-25 kids there.... Didn't see too many big bodies so maybe it's more 7-7 and lineman aren't there but either way it didn't look too pretty for a 5A school. All signs point to a long season in Laporte. 

And all of it will be worth it if Salary comes back

1 hour ago, npcougar15 said:

Hire Ortiz and James over better outside hires, expect to be a crap show. But it’ll be worth it if Salary comes back

20 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

Kiwanis Field on a summer night must be a beautiful site. That was one of my favorite venues to play in. that's a very low turnout just for 7 on 7. LaPorte just needs to weather the storm and rebuild. The numbers wil return if they can get out of the massive hole they've dug.

16 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Kiwanis Field on a summer night must be a beautiful site. That was one of my favorite venues to play in. that's a very low turnout just for 7 on 7. LaPorte just needs to weather the storm and rebuild. The numbers wil return if they can get out of the massive hole they've dug.

One of the most underrated fields in Indiana. A large beautifully maintained old brick grandstand, visitor bleachers that stretch end zone to end zone, neighborhood setting, cemetery next door, large mature oak and maple trees scattered throughout the area. Just a very nice setting for a high school football game.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:25 PM, LPCounty65 said:

Hire Ortiz and James over better outside hires, expect to be a crap show. But it’ll be worth it if Salary comes back

interesting. The Ortiz hire didn't seem like a bad one at the time. A guy that paid his dues in the coaching ranks and got an opportunity to be the head guy...it didn't work out...that happens. But if there was more seasoned coaches right for the job, Laporte probably miss played it and set the program back 5-10 years. The James hire was a bit of a s***show. Tough to go against an ENTIRE community wanting a long time assistant to get his crack at running the program. It was a low risk hire and if it worked out, great, but that wasn't the case.

Just saw that Laporte's QB had ACL surgery and now the starting position is going to a sophomore. 

7 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

interesting. The Ortiz hire didn't seem like a bad one at the time. A guy that paid his dues in the coaching ranks and got an opportunity to be the head guy...it didn't work out...that happens. But if there was more seasoned coaches right for the job, Laporte probably miss played it and set the program back 5-10 years. The James hire was a bit of a s***show. Tough to go against an ENTIRE community wanting a long time assistant to get his crack at running the program. It was a low risk hire and if it worked out, great, but that wasn't the case.

Just saw that Laporte's QB had ACL surgery and now the starting position is going to a sophomore. 

Correct about the sophomore. One of 30 something that will dress on Friday nights this year. And all I’m gonna say about the Ortiz hire is that they never opened it up to outside hires, but there was allegedly a big name coach in another Region conference interested in the job. Won’t name names though

Edited by LPCounty65

Born and raised region rat. Lived here my whole life and followed football closely. The region needs to take long hard look in the mirror. There are a million and one explanations for why the region is not what it used to be. All I know is region people need to stop acting like everything is fine and demand their school corporations start making winning and competition a priority again.