Glenn at Angola, 7:30 pm
Lowell at New Prairie, 8 pm
Osceola Grace at Jimtown, 7 pm
Penn at Cathedral, 7 pm
Clay at Chicago Christian (Ill.), 7:30 pm
Riley at Adams, 7 pm
Washington at St. Joseph, 7 pm
South Central at Bremen, 7:30 pm

Penn's biggest test of the year this week when they travel to Cathedral.  Win thins and the Kingsmen could be headed to 9-0 season.

Will Elkhart right the ship against Morton?

Glenn looks to recover from bring shut out by Riley

NP - not sure what to think of them at this point.  

Jimtown - had 2 tough matches to being the year, know nothing about Grace

Clay goes to Chicagoland...could they bring home that coveted victory?

Riley and Adams in a neighborhood brawl.  Riley to look to go to 3-0

Washington and St. Joe get together after not playing for awhile.  Used to be a very heated rivalry years ago.  SJ is a young team with only 13 seniors out of 63.  The youngsters playing look like they could develop.  See how they do again WHS. Will their QB be back?

Bremen looks to continue their winning ways against South Central.

Brebeuf Jesuit at Marian - This one will be ugly. BJ big
Morton at Elkhart - Intriguing match-up. Going to be a close one. Hopefully Elkhart can get a non-con win here.
Glenn at Angola - Surprised Glenn got shut out. This is a tough one to gauge. Angola by a touchdown?
Lowell at New Prairie - Last weeks Laporte result really threw me for a loop. Did Laporte just play out of their minds against the cougars? Still think NP wins this one to make it 6-1 against the Red Devils all-time.
Osceola Grace at Jimtown - The jimmies gotta get this game off the schedule. They are too storied of a program to play a non-sanctioned IHSAA team. 
Penn at Cathedral - Penn has passed their first 2 tests to solidify one of the best in the north. But here is their chance to put the state on notice that the Kingsmen are coming back to old form. Don't think they are there yet. the Irish by a few
Clay at Chicago Christian (Ill.) - No idea. can Clay get a win here?
Riley at Adams - Probably a pretty even match-up here. Get by this one and Riley is looking at 6-0 going into the NP match-up. 
Washington at St. Joseph - No way Washington should be within 3 touchdowns of St. Joe. Indians by 4+ TDs
South Central at Bremen - Lions win this one.

Overall not the toughest of tests going on in the NIC week 3. Penn vs Cathedral is the one to keep an eye on. NP vs. Lowell has turned into a fun 4A matchup the last decade of similar schools. And Marian is going to have their hands full. outside of that, every other match-up is against some weak competition. 

I just want Penn to keep the game close. Cathedral just got handed a convincing loss....and Penn has had mental mistakes on both sides of the ball in weeks 1 and 2. My honest opinion, I think Cathedral beats us by 21. I hope not, but it is going to come down to execution from Penn on offense and tight coverage and good tackling on D. 

If Penn can control the time of possession, like they did in the first half of the Mishawaka game, I think they can make the game interesting. 

On 8/27/2023 at 2:16 PM, ASJCPUMA said:
Friday, Sep. 1
Brebeuf Jesuit at Marian, 7:30 pm -  Marian's struggles continue
Morton at Elkhart, 7:30 pm -  Elkhart gets a chance to figure things out
Glenn at Angola, 7:30 pm - this will be a tough game. 
Lowell at New Prairie, 8 pm - Lowell beat the team NP lost to, but my heart says NP
Osceola Grace at Jimtown, 7 pm - No idea how good the Grace boys are. 
Penn at Cathedral, 7 pm - I feel dirty doing this, but I have to be honest
Clay at Chicago Christian (Ill.), 7:30 pm - Come On Clay win one!
Riley at Adams, 7 pm - Riley coming out of the gates strong.
Washington at St. Joseph, 7 pm - Washington gets worked again
South Central at Bremen, 7:30 pm - Can Bremen keep up the momentum after waxing Washington. 

14 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I just want Penn to keep the game close. Cathedral just got handed a convincing loss....and Penn has had mental mistakes on both sides of the ball in weeks 1 and 2. My honest opinion, I think Cathedral beats us by 21. I hope not, but it is going to come down to execution from Penn on offense and tight coverage and good tackling on D. 

If Penn can control the time of possession, like they did in the first half of the Mishawaka game, I think they can make the game interesting. 

I agree.  Clean up the mental mistakes and it could be a good game. 

Brebeuf Jesuit at Marian- BJ coming off a loss to Chatard...Marian squeaked by a below average CMA. BJ wins easily 42-7
Morton at Elkhart- Morton is coming in 1-1 with a win over portage. Morton out gained Hanover Central by 70 yards but couldn't hang onto the football in their 24-14 loss. I like Morton in this one 21-14
Glenn at Angola- Glenn bounces back this week after being held to 74 total yards of offense. Glenn 14- Angola 10
Lowell at New Prairie - New Prairie suffers its 2nd loss of the season this week. Lowell 24 NP 14
Osceola Grace at Jimtown- Jimtown 0-2 and struggling to run the ball in their signature offense. Jimtown looks to get things rolling early. Jimmies 34- Grace 7
Penn at Cathedral- Penn needs to open the playbook a bit if they plan on keeping this one close. Cathedral 42- Penn 21
Clay at Chicago Christian- Do we really have to predict this game? Will Clay be able to finish the season? CC 40 Clay 7
Riley at Adams- Adams' slid by a sophomore packed Logansport with a freshmen Quarterback this past week. Wildcats jumped on the Falcons early last week and held them to under 80 yards of total offense. Taking Riley in this one by  2 1/2 bakers dozen
Washington at St. Joseph- Washington was looking for a similar result as their cross town rivals by letting go of Stammich. The program has had an opposite reaction and the panthers are struggling on both sides of the ball.  SJ is looking to go 2-1 after easily beating a FWS team that has won 4 games in five years. SJS 40- Washington 0
South Central at Bremen- Bremen found some life last week against a bad Washington team last week. South Central will struggle to keep this one close. Bremen 34- South Central 7
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bucksweep22 said:
Brebeuf Jesuit at Marian- Jesuit big
Morton at Elkhart- Elkhart found some offense in the 2nd half against Northridge, but can they keep it going?  Morton by 10
Glenn at Angola- Does the NECC still exist?  Glen big
Lowell at New Prairie -New Prairie is struggling without their superstar RB from last year.  Lowell by 2 TD's.
Osceola Grace at Jimtown- Jimtown with a blowout 40+
Penn at Cathedral- Penn collapses in the 4th qtr. Cathedral 31 Penn 24
Clay at Chicago Christian-Poor Clay gets trounced again.  CC by 24
Riley at Adams- Riley's hot streak continues. Riley by 20
Washington at St. JosephSt Joe sends the panthers back to the west side with a loss. St Joe by 17
South Central at Bremen- Bremen works over SC big. Bremen by 28

7 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Honest Question- Next season, are they going to play a full conference schedule? Riley is improving, but they aren't going to have Penn play Washington are they?

I hope not. When the conference split Riley and Washington made it clear they did not want to play Penn. I think if Penn could strike a deal like ND where they are members in sports other than Football, it would be best for the school and program. 

4 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I hope not. When the conference split Riley and Washington made it clear they did not want to play Penn. I think if Penn could strike a deal like ND where they are members in sports other than Football, it would be best for the school and program. 

I think a lot will have to do with contracts.  Penn is suppose to pick up Carmel I believe next year for 4.  If they go to 7 conference games that menas probably week 1 or 2.  If anyone knows Greg Humnicky, he does a lot of the scheduling for the NIC

19 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

It would be disastrous to have to play Riley and Washington. You're right; a Notre Dame-type relationship with the NIC would be a good solution for the football program. The NIC seems to be in a pretty weak position, too, so I'd say now is the time to try to make that happen.

2 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

It would be disastrous to have to play Riley and Washington. You're right; a Notre Dame-type relationship with the NIC would be a good solution for the football program. The NIC seems to be in a pretty weak position, too, so I'd say now is the time to try to make that happen.

This has been talked about for a while. Some of the NIC AD's have pushed back not wanting to lose the gate revenue that Penn football fans bring. I think something will eventually happen but not until Coach Yeoman retires. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BSUKingsmen said:

Some of the NIC AD's have pushed back not wanting to lose the gate revenue that Penn football fans bring. I think something will eventually happen but not until Coach Yeoman retires. 

Not at all surprising about the other ADs. Is Cory holding up some sort of move or do you think it just makes more sense to make two big changes at once?

10 hours ago, PDB26 said:

Not at all surprising about the other ADs. Is Cory holding up some sort of move or do you think it just makes more sense to make two big changes at once?

I think its a combo of both. He does love his conference championships. The athletic department is focused on the new field house their building. So maybe after that.

On 8/27/2023 at 2:16 PM, ASJCPUMA said:
Friday, Sep. 1
Brebeuf Jesuit at Marian, 7:30 pm Jesuit by 3+ tds
Morton at Elkhart, 7:30 pm the lions get in the win column in a hard fought game
Glenn at Angola, 7:30 pm Angola takes down Glenn 
Lowell at New Prairie, 8 pm NP is getting 2 players back this week, top offensive lineman and a defensive end. The cougars will put it all together this and take care of business 
Osceola Grace at Jimtown, 7 pm Jimmies by whatever they choose
Penn at Cathedral, 7 pm Cathedral in a close one
Clay at Chicago Christian (Ill.), 7:30 pm ?? Probably not Clay
Riley at Adams, 7 pm Riley big. Wildcats are trying to prove they are one of the best in the conference 
Washington at St. Joseph, 7 pm Indians put an arrow in the panthers 
South Central at Bremen, 7:30 pm Lions by a lot

Penn's biggest test of the year this week when they travel to Cathedral.  Win thins and the Kingsmen could be headed to 9-0 season.

Will Elkhart right the ship against Morton?

Glenn looks to recover from bring shut out by Riley

NP - not sure what to think of them at this point.  

Jimtown - had 2 tough matches to being the year, know nothing about Grace

Clay goes to Chicagoland...could they bring home that coveted victory?

Riley and Adams in a neighborhood brawl.  Riley to look to go to 3-0

Washington and St. Joe get together after not playing for awhile.  Used to be a very heated rivalry years ago.  SJ is a young team with only 13 seniors out of 63.  The youngsters playing look like they could develop.  See how they do again WHS. Will their QB be back?

Bremen looks to continue their winning ways against South Central.

23 hours ago, PDB26 said:

It would be if they had to play them every season.

23 hours ago, BSUKingsmen said:

This has been talked about for a while. Some of the NIC AD's have pushed back not wanting to lose the gate revenue that Penn football fans bring. I think something will eventually happen but not until Coach Yeoman retires. 

If Penn does eventually go Independent, you can keep the local schools happy by playing them on a rotating schedule. Rotate the Catholic Schools and rotate the three remaining South Bend schools. If you are going to challenge yourself with a harder schedule you will need some cushion on the schedule to get players healthy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johnny U said:

Fact:  All NIC football teams will be playing a 7 game conference schedule next year.

Penn

New Prairie

Elkhart

Riley

Washington

Adams

Marian

St. Joe

Man that's a brutal schedule for Penn (in a bad way). This conference is on borrowed time; or at least I hope it is

St. Joe beat Washington 51-0.  it was 45-0 at half.  SJ blocked 3 punts one for a TD other 2 deep in Panther territory.  WHS is going to need a massive culture change like Riley is going through to turn the tide.

Cathedral lead Penn35-0 at hslf and ended up winning 35-6.  From the radio people the Irish dominated

Penn's DB's had no response for the Irish WR's  #17, #3 and #8 for Cathedral. #17 at one point seemed to be the only WR that the Irish wanted to throw to and everyone in the stadium knew it (except for the Penn coaching staff). From what I saw, there weren't any adjustments made to slow the passing game down. DB's were giving 8–10 yard cushions for the Irish WR's the entire night. Absolutely no press with over-the-top help and that cost Penn. The Irish QB (Danny O'Neil) has a good arm and is mobile (I believe his dad played at Penn years back) and showed why he is going to Colorado. 

Penn's QB had a decent game but didn't seem too comfortable in the pocket. It looks like he injured his right ankle which definitely hindered his ability to rollout and pass. There were some drops and overthrows to the receivers too. After a muffed snap on a punt, Penn got the ball at the Cathedral 17 or so yard line and got to the 4 yard line before being stopped on 4th down. 

On a positive note, Penn did hold down the Irish rushing game. Most of their rushing yards came in the 3rd/4th quarters when there was a running clock. 

The thing that jumped out at me the most was that Penn seemed like they wanted to be anywhere but that field. Coming onto the field at the very beginning there was no intensity or emotions. It was like they were zombie walking. Cathedral punched them in the mouth, and they never recovered. 

These were just my observations of the game.